PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Cougar inverter installation

Reedhoppa
05-31-2019, 02:27 PM
I brought home my new Cougar 22RBS this week and would like to install an approx. 2000W pure sine wave inverter to be able to run a few small appliances when boondocking. I will be using a 100W portable solar panel for battery charging and a generator for occasional air conditioning and charging support. I think the 2000W will be sufficient (I’m traveling solo). I don’t really feel up to doing this myself so am considering having my dealer do it for me. Any suggestions on things I should tell the service dept. about how I want the install to be done. And do I need to consider upgrading my converter as some have suggested? Thanks in advance!!

Logan X
05-31-2019, 02:56 PM
What kind of batteries will you be using? The inverter will only provide as much power as the batteries can store. If you are using the single 12v battery that came with your trailer it won’t power very much for very long.

Reedhoppa
05-31-2019, 03:18 PM
I’ll be upgrading to either duel lead acid or golf cart batteries.

Logan X
05-31-2019, 04:33 PM
The batteries sound good. You don’t need to change your converter, you just need to make sure you aren’t powering your converter with your inverter.

A simple set up is connect the inverter to your batteries and then plug an extension cord into the inverter and power what you want with the extension cord.

Another way is to connect the inverter to the batteries and then plug your shore power cord into the inverter. This will power all of your 110 outlets. If you do it this way, you need to shut off your on board charger/converter so it isn’t taking power form the inverter to charge the batteries and creating a redundant, energy sucking, loop.

You can simply turn off the circuit breaker for the charger/converter or you can have an automatic or manual relay installed that will shut off the charger/converter when the inverter is providing power.

Hope that made sense.

Logan X
05-31-2019, 04:47 PM
The link below is a pretty good article that explains the different ways to install an inverter.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-inverter-install-diy/

Reedhoppa
05-31-2019, 05:40 PM
Thanks ... you confirmed what I’d read in my research. I think this is beyond my abilities but at least now I will know how to direct the work if I take it in to the dealer. Many thanks!

Logan X
05-31-2019, 06:21 PM
Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly!

chuckster57
05-31-2019, 06:53 PM
I have done a few, if you just follow the instructions that come with the inverter, it’s just time consuming. Feel free to PM me if you want, it will save you LOTS of money.