PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stops: what's the secret for minimizing trauma?

Dave Gamble
05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm comfortable with every aspect of towing our Cougar 26RBS except for one thing: I can't seem to get into and out of gas stations without great effort and stress. It seems as if the pump islands are almost always oriented to be front/back with the store, leaving very little room to get in/out with the trailer, in almost all stations, including Pilot/Flying J (who ought to know better).

Of course, no matter which way the islands are oriented, once in there is still the issue of finding an entire pump island open so I can fit the truck/trailer combo in far enough to avoid blocking traffic. This, it would appear, is not just a matter of waiting patiently because sneaky little cars will slide in there before I can get there. My dirty looks at offending drivers are entirely ineffective as a preventive for that behavior.

The thing is, I would accept all of this as normal if I ever saw other trailer tuggers encountering the same problems, but I don't. Where are they buying gas?? There must be something I'm missing here.

CampNBrew2
05-30-2019, 08:21 AM
When we travel, we try to search out larger truck stop type facilities. Otherwise yes it can be a nerve wracking, patience trying ordeal. Sometimes I have even had to back out of a station after pumping.
Pack your patience...

66joej
05-30-2019, 08:24 AM
Usually Pilot/Flying Js have signs directing RVs into the truck islands. They have gasoline pumps there. At least all of the ones we have used. YMMV

BamaRam
05-30-2019, 08:28 AM
I had rather use the truck pumps and bear the ugly stares than jockey for position at the 4 wheeler pumps. I’ve been blocked in, cut off, and had to back out.

travelin texans
05-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Usually Pilot/Flying Js have signs directing RVs into the truck islands. They have gasoline pumps there. At least all of the ones we have used. YMMV
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.
One advantage of having a heavy rv which required a diesel was being able to use the truck lanes. Never once in 10+ years did I ever get dirty looks or off color remarks from truckers when using the truck lanes, just fill up & move forward, which for my 30+/- gallons didn't take but about 5 minutes with the truck pumps.

Dave Gamble
05-30-2019, 08:57 AM
This helps, although it hasn't been updated since 2014: https://www.pilotflyingj.com/media/36701/rv-travel-guide-16.pdf

Dave Gamble
05-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Usually Pilot/Flying Js have signs directing RVs into the truck islands. They have gasoline pumps there. At least all of the ones we have used. YMMVI checked their website and found a location guide (updated as recently as 2014 :ermm:) and mention of an app. Between the two of those... I think it might be 'problem solved.'

LHaven
05-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.

Early in our camping days we tried the truck lanes trick, and after three attempts and finding nothing but diesel there, we never tried again.

The GasBuddy smartphone app also offers driver reviews of stations, often containing good information about small or large aprons. It isn't foolproof and doesn't offer 100% coverage, but we do use it for this.

A lot of our traveling is in the same interstate corridor, where we know which stations have worked well or not so well for us in the past -- like that badly laid-out Pilot in Denham Springs, and the knowledge that you'll have all the room in the world at any Buc-ee's.

vampress_me
05-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Google Maps/ iPhone map on satellite view is also your friend. It’s nice to be able to scope out a potential gas station ahead of time to judge if there’s enough room to maneuver.

Or, get a diesel truck and don’t worry anymore... (just kidding! It was said as a joke). :)

mfifield01
05-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Google Maps/ iPhone map on satellite view is also your friend. It’s nice to be able to scope out a potential gas station ahead of time to judge if there’s enough room to maneuver.

Or, get a diesel truck and don’t worry anymore... (just kidding! It was said as a joke). :)Other than the fact that it is more difficult to find diesel :). I agree on Google Maps. I try to have my wife look ahead while driving. Sometimes, I will check before we leave based on mileage.

LHaven
05-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Or, get a diesel truck and don’t worry anymore... (just kidding! It was said as a joke). :)

Actually, we've considered this more than once, but were dissuaded by discovering that in the TV size classes we were considering, the diesel versions invariably had lower tow capacities than the gas versions. :(

sourdough
05-30-2019, 10:15 AM
When I first started towing trying to find a station to get into and out of was an issue. The bigger the trailer got, the bigger the issue. It was a cause of irritation and apprehension - and still is at times.

Some things we've learned;

I like to stop every 2 - 2 1/2 hours for "relief" breaks for one/all of us. That equates to about 1/2 tank left. At that point I start looking for refuel locations. I use my eyes and a slow approach. Stations with pumps parallel to the building are good as long as you have an entry/exit available. Look at the end pumps and make sure you can clear the building for exits. Make sure there are exits that are navigable. WATCH OUT for sharply graded exits - I have bent my spare twice due to them when I could not see them prior to parking. Avoid entering/exiting onto narrow 2 lane streets that you might have to back into if you misjudge. Look to see if you can drive around the building for an exit.

The more you do it, the easier it is to size up a place pretty quickly. DW makes notes on all of our trips to notate hwy., exit, which station, which pumps, how to enter exit etc.

nied
05-30-2019, 10:18 AM
If you are using the interstate highways, www.findfuelstops.com is a good source for information. I like Loves stations and never have had a problem with our 30' trailer.

Gegrad
05-30-2019, 11:14 AM
If travelling anywhere except an interstate, I will watch for accessible locations as soon as I get below 1/2 tank (which is usually closer to only about 6 gallons left anyway) and just stop as soon as I see an accommodating station. On the interstate it is more tricky, since you can't see the station without exiting, so there I typically hit the larger stations (Pilot, Flying J, etc). I also take note of accessible stations on places we go back to frequently and begin a ritual of stopping there.

For example, we hit Pocahontas State Park south of Richmond quite frequently while living in Raleigh, and it was just a smidge too far to make it on one tank (could make it but would be on E). Right as you crossed into Virginia at Exit 3 there were several stations, with the Shell station being wide open for getting into and out of. This exit also had the cheapest gas just about anywhere in the state. If you went 5 miles north to the "big" exit that had a few food places, gas was $0.30 more per gallon (!). I could also make it the rest of the way up to the park and back to that station on one tank. So a great way to maximize stops while towing.

notanlines
05-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Ihaven, that would be lower cargo capacity, not towing capacity. It would generally be in the 500 pound less category. Towing would be greater.
Only Flying J had RV specific lanes when they and Pilot merged. Now a few Pilots are catching on. And none have gas in the diesel lanes to be sure that automobile-driving nincompoops (of course you know that isn’t my chosen word) stay out of the truck lanes. Like TT, we have never in many, many years had an off color comment or stare fueling in the truck lane. I like to talk, they like to talk, I get the heck out of their way and all has always been good.

travelin texans
05-30-2019, 11:51 AM
We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs.
I think any company building a convenience store/gas station needs to visit a Bucees, they got it done right for any size rig with plenty room & plenty of pumps.

sourdough
05-30-2019, 01:37 PM
We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs.
I think any company building a convenience store/gas station needs to visit a Bucees, they got it done right for any size rig with plenty room & plenty of pumps.

^^^^^This is a fact! I had never been to one but saw some being constructed. Then, this last trip I had to occasion to stop at one outside Dallas and man, was that nice! Lots of room, a zillion pumps plus......a heck of a store with smoked brisket that was actually good. I'll hit them all whenever I can from now on.

meaz93*
05-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Or what about pulling into and occupying a full side of gas pumps at a 7Eleven which is next door to a place you'd like to grab some grub (38' Keystone Outback) before getting into Chula Vista but no place to park and also not needing gas but.... acting like you do-just asking for a friend?-lol
Now I'll run in for some snack or what not....
buy something.
I also have a 5gal gas can filled when I travel.

hankpage
05-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Maybe it is just the East coast but I have never been in a FlyingJ that did not have a RV fueling area with gas, diesel, water, air and propane (and most with dump station) and fueling from either or both sides at the same time with plenty of room in and out. Now finding a parking spot so you can take a stretch and grab a bite is totally another story. Their website gives everything that is available at each station and lists RV friendly. JM2¢, Hank

Logan X
05-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Or what about pulling into and occupying a full side of gas pumps at a 7Eleven which is next door to a place you'd like to grab some grub (38' Keystone Outback) before getting into Chula Vista but no place to park and also not needing gas but.... acting like you do-just asking for a friend?-lol
buy something.

Wow. Lol:lol:

Old Mustanger
05-30-2019, 07:38 PM
^^^^^This is a fact! I had never been to one but saw some being constructed. Then, this last trip I had to occasion to stop at one outside Dallas and man, was that nice! Lots of room, a zillion pumps plus......a heck of a store with smoked brisket that was actually good. I'll hit them all whenever I can from now on.

Are you referring to Pilot/FJ or Bucky's? Sounds more like Bucky's :)

Edit: I didn't read the post above Sourdough's close enough, he is referring to Bucky's

RoscoeV
05-30-2019, 08:10 PM
If you are using the interstate highways, www.findfuelstops.com (http://www.findfuelstops.com) is a good source for information. I like Loves stations and never have had a problem with our 30' trailer.

Thanks! That is a great tool.

JRTJH
05-31-2019, 09:04 AM
I think the majority of "discomfort around fuel pumps" comes from not doing it often enough to feel comfortable "jockeying a long vehicle in close quarters". We just returned from 6 weeks on the road, triple-towing with a total length of around 70'. With a 26 gallon diesel tank, trust me when I say that refueling stops are frequent. When we get to something just under a half tank, I start looking for diesel. Invariably, at almost every "truck stop" you'll find a cheaper price "just across the street"... Most of those range from 15 to 25 cents a gallon. Is it enough to motivate me to turn into the cheaper station? Often it is, depending on the number of vehicles at the pumps and the "access around the pumps"....

For me, after years of towing, I can usually read the situation and make a decision quickly. Even with the excess length and the restrictions of maneuvering such a rig in close quarters, I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get "in and out easily" and I've never had the need to unhitch either trailer to access the pumps.

I would suggest that with experience, the reluctance and the "nerves" that are being experienced will, for most people, disappear. It's a "normal part of towing" to need fuel and it's a "normal part of towing" to need to access fuel pumps that sometimes are in "close quarters"....

What once caused "pain and tremors" is now "old hat and just a part of towing a large RV".... I'd suspect that in 2 or 3 years of "doing it" that you'll feel much more comfortable and not feel the tension you now feel. That said, if you avoid ever being in the situation, you'll never overcome the angst.

So, don't avoid the fuel pumps, just do it smartly and with enough forward thinking so you don't get into a situation you can't recover from..... I know, I know, but after a few years, you won't worry nearly as much as you do now.....

Northofu1
05-31-2019, 12:13 PM
I am pretty new at this, I do know most larger towns and cities have gasoline alleys. Serena (trusty co-pilot) looks for roads that have a few gas stations close to hiway, I then use the one that is most user friendly, google earth is awesome.

ctbruce
05-31-2019, 01:59 PM
Use the outside lane when possible. Gives better escape routes.

Laredo Tugger
05-31-2019, 02:17 PM
When I had the 6.2L gasser fuel stops were very frequent as well. In fact during "training",when I was figuring out my ranges, I had to "draft" off of a big rig in south Texas for a considerable distance. Managed to find fuel with 3 miles left on the truck display. Never got that close again.
After that I used Google maps with street view to plan where I would stop for fuel and the best access to use. Never had any real issues doing this. You just can't plan for the guy who parks at the only pump you have access to and goes inside to ???? whatever.
Like they say "You can't fix stupid"
Now that I have a diesel I just use the truck stops. The only time I took a shot at the cheaper diesel at an independent station, I had to exit on a bad angle and rather quickly to clear traffic lanes. Got to the campsite and my spare had been "shoved" up into the roof ladder. With a little "manual torque" I was able to get the spare and ladder back to somewhat normal configuration.
RMc

hornet28
05-31-2019, 05:48 PM
I think the majority of "discomfort around fuel pumps" comes from not doing it often enough to feel comfortable "jockeying a long vehicle in close quarters". We just returned from 6 weeks on the road, triple-towing with a total length of around 70'. With a 26 gallon diesel tank, trust me when I say that refueling stops are frequent. When we get to something just under a half tank, I start looking for diesel. Invariably, at almost every "truck stop" you'll find a cheaper price "just across the street"... Most of those range from 15 to 25 cents a gallon. Is it enough to motivate me to turn into the cheaper station? Often it is, depending on the number of vehicles at the pumps and the "access around the pumps"....

For me, after years of towing, I can usually read the situation and make a decision quickly. Even with the excess length and the restrictions of maneuvering such a rig in close quarters, I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get "in and out easily" and I've never had the need to unhitch either trailer to access the pumps.

I would suggest that with experience, the reluctance and the "nerves" that are being experienced will, for most people, disappear. It's a "normal part of towing" to need fuel and it's a "normal part of towing" to need to access fuel pumps that sometimes are in "close quarters"....

What once caused "pain and tremors" is now "old hat and just a part of towing a large RV".... I'd suspect that in 2 or 3 years of "doing it" that you'll feel much more comfortable and not feel the tension you now feel. That said, if you avoid ever being in the situation, you'll never overcome the angst.

So, don't avoid the fuel pumps, just do it smartly and with enough forward thinking so you don't get into a situation you can't recover from..... I know, I know, but after a few years, you won't worry nearly as much as you do now.....

Couldn't agree more. But I have an 84 gal capacity which makes for a lot less stops. My truck and 5th wheel are much shorter than my truck and 38 ft car trailer. As said you learn as you get more experience and I've been pulling trailers of one kind or another since the late 60's

Fishsizzle
05-31-2019, 09:04 PM
buy something.
I also have a 5gal gas can filled when I travel.

Hey that’s an IG! I have 3

Fishsizzle
05-31-2019, 09:07 PM
One thing to think about is Pacific Pride or CFN

Both are designed for commercial traffic and have both gas/diesel and large lots.

I used them for years when I ran equipment, not so much anymore. No bathrooms, and no fast food. They are scary at night.

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 07:37 AM
I have seen gasoline at Pilot/Flying J in truck lanes that are marked for RV use.

sonofcy
06-06-2019, 07:39 AM
What I do now is park the rig in the RV park for the night and unhitch. This means just getting the truck in and out of the gas station. Of course I might have an advantage, I drive a dually diesel F450 with HUGE tanks, 188 Liters or 49 US Gals. I can drive two days (200mi/320Kms per day @ 25L/100Km or 9.4mpg) if needed but I fill up every day. That is one of the three reasons for paying an extra $2,500 for the F450 over the F350, bigger brakes, bigger fuel tank, class 4 parts with class 3 licensing. I have in the past pulled all 40'9" into normal stations outside of the city, I just look for an outside open pump lane so I have room to get in and out.

mhbell
06-06-2019, 08:27 AM
One advantage of having a heavy rv which required a diesel was being able to use the truck lanes. Never once in 10+ years did I ever get dirty looks or off color remarks from truckers when using the truck lanes, just fill up & move forward, which for my 30+/- gallons didn't take but about 5 minutes with the truck pumps.

Flying J at Fortuna RD Foothills Yuma AZ 108000 North Frontage Road, Yuma, AZ 85365
Mel

Jweems
06-06-2019, 08:33 AM
I normally start looking for fuel when my gauge shows 1/2. For the most part I do use truck stops. My truck is a diesel. Looking for fuel that early helps take some pressure off. I usually try to find regular gas stations with diesel fuel to save some on the price, and occasionally that works. The trade off however is finding one that is an easy in easy out. Many times it is a no go and we pass it by. Knowing I have plenty of fuel gives some piece of mind, but it can still be a challenge.
For the most part we use truck stops. And have had the best luck there although you pay a price for it as well.
Gas buddy app can be helpful as well.

Cardcathrn
06-06-2019, 08:42 AM
You are not alone as we have had same issue! In desperation, we stopped in an Oasis thinking we could do it. I had to literally stand at the ramp and stop cars entering so he could back up and maneuver around to get out. What a nightmare! I will check out the link another member posted as we will be heading from Chicago to the Badlands and want to have minimal stress!

Hamlej
06-06-2019, 08:46 AM
We use Sirius Travel link. Just hit fuel type and it will give you everything near you and also price. Easy way to pick where you want to fuel.

KFM
06-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Our solution to removing the trauma in pulling into gas station with our camper was to have a 50 gallon fuel tank put on our tow vehicle. We replaced OEM tank with Titan tank. Work was done by our Ford dealer and warranty not affected. We now can drive to our CG, unhook and set up and then go and get fuel at usually a lower cost gas station. Our camping experience much more enjoyable now.

goodellj
06-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Lots of good advice here. The original posting does not say gasoline or diesel.

We have been all over the country and I always use truck lanes at truck stops to get diesel. I pull in and get in line with the semi's and have never had any issue, never gotten a 'dirty look', and never felt unwelcome. I HAVE felt the envious looks of working stiffs who would like to be in an RV, living a life of leisure (like me!). After you fill up you must pull ahead to let the guy behind you start fueling while you go inside to take care of business.

I agree about Buck-ee's and wish they were in all states and not just Texas. I prefer the smoked turkey sandwich. Oh, yeah, they also sell diesel and the pumps are very spacious and convenient.

I think you can always get cheaper fuel somewhere else, and if we are going out to dinner or running errands at our overnight destination I will take a few minutes and get diesel fuel at a regular gas station unhooked, with just the truck.

I don't know about everyone else, but I get about 10% worse mileage with biodiesel. Biodiesel should be cheaper but it is not. If you can get regular diesel at the same price or even if you pay a premium, it is worth it. Don't get me started about super cheap diesel because it is low-quality and you will get 20% worse mileage or even lower. USDOT requires octane to be posted on the pump for gasoline but not for diesel, which is called the cetane rating. Good diesel with a good cetane rating would be worth paying a premium for. The reason people use a fuel additive is to boost the cetane rating, whether they know it or not.

Tireman9
06-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Go practice in Mall or Box store parking lot. Use a tin can or coffee cup as markers for gas "islands" practice the Exit first to learn how far you can pull out before you turn. Have the co-pilot watch from behind for rear end swing out. You do not want to clip a gas pump as you leave. You might need 10 to 20 trials before it becomes easy.
Shut off the radio and other distractions.

Then try the "pull-in"

For many years I drove a 1 ton dually with slide-in camper pulling a 26' box race car hauler with Camaro inside from OH to CA or FL or CT or Toronto.
It takes practice and you can crush a few coffee cups with no consequences to worry about.

dsttexas
06-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Our RV trips are always planned in pretty good detail before heading out. Especially important in terms of Park reservations where you WANT to stay, and I always plan out all my fuel stops as well. Sometimes it's when we're in one spot for a couple days so fueling unhitched is a breeze.

I recommend RVTripWizard to help plan any trip.

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 01:00 PM
True, the diesels have lower capacities. However, I live in the intermountain states, and while a gasoline powered may get me from point a to point b, the diesel outperforms the gasser in our mountains.
Second thought is a gasoline engine, naturally aspirated, loses 10% of its horsepower for every 1000 feet above sea level where a turbocharged diesel will not lose power until approximately 8000 feet above sea level.

markjamestx
06-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Our experience as well, no gas at the truck islands. I have even posted on Love's and Pilot's websites for future designs to include room for gas powered TV with TT. Why in the world would any designer not include gas pumps in the truck stop islands for RV owners? Flying J's usually have RV islands with gas and diesel both sides of TV, but not always. I do not go to Pilot or Loves because there entrances are at the center of the gas pumps and you have to swing and avoid going in the ditch and then get an end pump. Then you have to back up, and make sure your trailer does not clip the pump (it did happen once). Next TV will be a diesel because of this.

Crackerjack
06-06-2019, 02:27 PM
I usually purchase the Rand McNally Atlas at Walmart which has the locations of Walmart and Sams Club fueling stations near Interstate Exits in the front of the book, and show if they have diesel also.

CaptnJohn
06-06-2019, 05:45 PM
2019 f350 dually diesel. 48gallon tank plus sux tank in the bed. I have a range of 800 miles. If fuel is needed on the road I use truck stops.

notanlines
06-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Mark, if you give this some thought, all that would happen is that cars and pickups would tie up the lane and you couldn't use it anyway. The last thing that truckers need is numbnuts driving their minivans through their area. Half the time they pack the RV lanes already.

Snoking
06-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Flying J at Fortuna RD Foothills Yuma AZ 108000 North Frontage Road, Yuma, AZ 85365
Mel

We fueled our truck with 39' 5th wheel in tow at Fry's in that area. Looked at the layout on Google Earth the night before to figure my way in and out, and used the outside pump in the South end.

I have used GE many times to study a route to fuel. Now Chula Vista, drop the trailer first at the RV park!!!! traffic in that part of California is not for the faint of heart towing a trailer. When we headed North of Chula Vista we took I-15 North rather than going through LA. We went North to 138 and over to Palm Dale and then 58 to Bakersfield, on North on 99.

I always look for the outside pump and yes I have blocked traffic waiting in line and fueling. My fuel is more important to "me" than them having to drive around me or use another entrance or exit to get to and from "their" pump.

E Rod
06-06-2019, 07:00 PM
I try to always look for gas stations with accessible pumps as i drive a new 2018 F350 long bed and a 40ft 5er. Then again i like that they now have a 48 gal. fuel tank and i also have a combo fuel/toolbox with an extra 60 gal. So pretty much i get to my destination unhook and refuel before heading out again.

Dparrent
06-07-2019, 12:09 AM
I try to follow all of the advice listed in these posts. However I am towing a 40 foot fifth wheel and an F350 and do find fuel stops difficult on occasion.

When I feel that a particular stop is going to be too dicey, I resort to my back up plan.

I carry two empty 5 gallon gas cans in the back of the truck and have them secured to the side so they don’t bounce around.

In a sticky situation I will park near the gas station, fill my cans and place them on the bed rail the truck. I have a $10 jiggler siphon hose which makes short work of topping up a tank.

Problem solved!

gtstang462002
06-07-2019, 01:55 AM
If the fuel stations are too tight to get my 45' trailer into, I have no problem dropping the trailer in a nearby large parking lot and going and filling up. The short amount of time spent hooking and unhooking the trailer quite often is less than that of driving around to find a pump that I "fit" into. Also don't have to worry about ripping my AC units off from the canopy this way. If I know I can fit and am just going to block traffic, then I am blocking traffic. The law of size wins here, generally I am bigger (at close to 70') and I am not there to make friends with any of the people that are giving me the dirty looks.

notanlines
06-07-2019, 02:28 AM
If the fuel stations are too tight to get my 45' trailer into, I have no problem dropping the trailer in a nearby large parking lot and going and filling up. The short amount of time spent hooking and unhooking the trailer quite often is less than that of driving around to find a pump that I "fit" into. Also don't have to worry about ripping my AC units off from the canopy this way. If I know I can fit and am just going to block traffic, then I am blocking traffic. The law of size wins here, generally I am bigger (at close to 70') and I am not there to make friends with any of the people that are giving me the dirty looks.

Tell us a little about your rig that brings it to about 70'. Sounds like quite a setup.

KSH
06-07-2019, 06:39 AM
I use the truck stops when possible or any outside lane with a good exit route. Practice.22137

SummitPond
06-07-2019, 06:45 AM
We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs. ...

Same observation ^^^ for some, but other stations seem to be much better designed.

Use the outside lane when possible. Gives better escape routes.

Same observation as above ^^^, but even then I have to be on the lookout for pinch points exiting the island. Some stations allow parking perpendicular to the islands (away from the building) that can make for interesting maneuvering on exit or entrance.

I try to scope out the exit path before I enter the station; I try to position myself to make for an easy exit. Unfortunately sometimes this leaves me sticking my "rear" where I'd rather not.

Unfortunately many non-RV users of these fueling stations have little idea about the space required to maneuver our rigs; they park in odd places or dart around like gnats making it difficult to drive in/out.

Lariatbob
06-07-2019, 10:28 AM
When needed there is always the option of parking down the street, unhitching and taking the tow vehicle to the pumps by itself. I know with my fiver it is really not too time consuming.

Blackrock
06-07-2019, 02:43 PM
I just wheel it in like a Boss making wide swings and picking a lane that will let me pull on out onto the main street or highway easily.

AZWANDERERS
06-09-2019, 11:32 AM
I have a 42" Montana and I had to learn to maneuver early on with much trepidation. I almost got myself into a pickel at a Tucson stop - almost too big and had to wait for numerous inconsiderate folks pumping gas. One unmentionable had to audacity to suggest I back up so he could cut in. Then I pulled into a Quartzsite stop and pulled forward to the front diesel pumps only to discover they were bagged. Truck pulled in behind me and the exit was to my right but it was to severe a turn and I was in the trucker exit path. They leaned on their horns and had fun with me until a guy helped me out. Truck behind me backed up as did I somehow and got out of there. Parked that one in the mountains of AZ and that is now our cabin.

Just finished a 9 week 9200 mile trip with our 35' Genesis toy hauler and 3500 Ram. The train is 55' long. 6200 miles were pulling the rig, other 3k were side trips. Definitely used a bit of diesel. Fueling up will get easier over time. You'll know what to look for and sometimes it's head to the next stop. There are great stops among all the well known truck stops but there are many that are older and not laid out for well for maneuvering. I look for outside pumps with adequate room to exit. I have been blocked in and there are times where it's a zoo and not worth the hassle, so go down the road. I did learn about biodiesel - it'll reduce you fuel mileage 2-3 miles per gallon and I avoided it where I could. Another reply mentions cetane rating and I'm now using a cetane booster/injector cleaner additive. Results seem positive for my first tank of fuel in the mountains. There seems to be no standard cetane value state to state.

Most people are accommodating if you get yourself boxed in. No embarrassment if you need their assistance. You will get better at it over time.

shermris
06-10-2019, 06:53 AM
https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

I've been in a bind a couple times but the problem is typically the travel route. In city gas stations are usually very tight and crowded, I carry an empty 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed in case I get too desperate, (even then you need a place to park and need to keep looking for a station with elbow room). Things have improved because retailers are realizing that gas hungry haulers need gas and they are loosing sales by not providing adequate service. I try to fill up using stations before or after metro areas. Worst case scenario; find a side street or park, drop your rig and go fill up.

Snoking
06-10-2019, 06:59 AM
https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

I've been in a bind a couple times but the problem is typically the travel route. In city gas stations are usually very tight and crowded, I carry an empty 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed in case I get too desperate, (even then you need a place to park and need to keep looking for a station with elbow room). Things have improved because retailers are realizing that gas hungry haulers need gas and they are loosing sales by not providing adequate service. I try to fill up using stations before or after metro areas. Worst case scenario; find a side street or park, drop your rig and go fill up.

Worst side street city experience we have had was in Santa Rosa, Ca North of San Francisco on 101. And that was with our reg cab Ram and 29' Cardinal.

Finally got into a crowded Safeway parking lot, and had to go walk around to plan my exit while DW shopped. Chris

linux3
06-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Heading East in Southern Illinois the gas station was a little tight.
I decided to stop at the next one.
Southern Illinois is flat and nothing but giant factory farms. By the time I got to the NEXT gas station I put 32 gal. in a 34 gal tank.

JRTJH
06-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Heading East in Southern Illinois the gas station was a little tight.
I decided to stop at the next one.
Southern Illinois is flat and nothing but giant factory farms. By the time I got to the NEXT gas station I put 32 gal. in a 34 gal tank.

You had LOTS to spare..... When you really get worried is when the "1 mile to empty" warning is flashing (it doesn't change color on Fords, it just flashes and the "dinger goes crazy") and when you do roll into the station, put it in park and the engine dies BEFORE you turn off the ignition... Then, as you see the 27 gallon mark on the pump and your tank is 26 gallons and the pump is still flowing.......