PDA

View Full Version : Best Rig for full timing?

penra
05-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Looking at 5ers with the criteria of:

Space for two people and occasional guests
Kitchen counter and storage space
Well insulated and dual pane windows
Dual AC and 35k furnace
Prefer to not exceed 35 feet length
Fifth wheel

Montana, what is the difference between High country and not?
Also looking at KZ Durango Gold and 2500.
thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions!

chuckster57
05-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Ask if living in it full time voids the warranty. Not all models are designated “full time”.

LHaven
05-28-2019, 10:11 AM

Check the level of winterizing, if my memory serves me.

JRTJH
05-28-2019, 10:34 AM

The biggest difference in the Montana and the Montana High Country is the weight reduction techniques. The Montana is built on a more robust frame, has solid floors and more solid wood in cabinet frames/doors, etc.

The Montana High Country is constructed with what Keystone used to call, "Helium Technology". That's "buzz words" for lightweight construction. Smaller (thinner and not as large) frame rails on the shorter models (Montana uses larger frame rails in all models regardless of length), laminated (thin plywood/Styrofoam/thin plywood) floors, hardwood stiles/door fronts in cabinets.

For what it's worth, both "look nice" and would seem durable.... IMHO, there's no way, with current construction techniques, that a trailer weighing 2,000 pounds less than a similar floorplan can both share the same strength livability and durability.

penra
05-28-2019, 06:33 PM
The biggest difference in the Montana and the Montana High Country is the weight reduction techniques. The Montana is built on a more robust frame, has solid floors and more solid wood in cabinet frames/doors, etc.

The Montana High Country is constructed with what Keystone used to call, "Helium Technology". That's "buzz words" for lightweight construction. Smaller (thinner and not as large) frame rails on the shorter models (Montana uses larger frame rails in all models regardless of length), laminated (thin plywood/Styrofoam/thin plywood) floors, hardwood stiles/door fronts in cabinets.

For what it's worth, both "look nice" and would seem durable.... IMHO, there's no way, with current construction techniques, that a trailer weighing 2,000 pounds less than a similar floorplan can both share the same strength livability and durability.

I do see the difference now in construction details; the High country has much the same construction (as defined on the website but that always leaves me wanting more detail), but the High country goes lighter, 10" I beam on smaller rigs.

John&Genny
05-28-2019, 10:35 PM
I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).

larry337
05-29-2019, 03:24 AM

For what it's worth, both "look nice" and would seem durable.... IMHO, there's no way, with current construction techniques, that a trailer weighing 2,000 pounds less than a similar floorplan can both share the same strength livability and durability.Yes and the Montana also has better electronics, appliances, and it has hydraulic slides and levelers versus electric and cable for the High Country. I see the High Country as basically a Cougar with a drop frame.

larry337
05-29-2019, 03:27 AM
I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).I'd have to agree, I looked at all 3

gearhead
05-29-2019, 04:00 AM
I'm repeating myself, but for the price of a new Montana you can get a nice used DRV.
Otherwise, John is spot on as to the differences.

penra
05-29-2019, 03:14 PM
I'm repeating myself, but for the price of a new Montana you can get a nice used DRV.

thanks, I had not heard of DRV but they look good, I'll broaden my search.

Snoking
05-29-2019, 03:33 PM

DRV's are not without similar problems of almost all RV's. I think an used Hitchhiker would be a better deal.

You can look for a sticker like this one that is on your Big Horn 3575el. We full timed in it for 1.5 years and now it is our summer home. The difference between towing and finding sites for a 35' vs a 39' like ours in minimal. Chris

travelin texans
05-29-2019, 08:56 PM

If going with the DRV, new or used, it WILL require a diesel dually as they are very heavy.
Another thought! If you did happen to find a good used Hitchhiker it will 10+ years old & nowadays, unless you plan to only stay at state/national parks, a good many of privately owned parks have an age limit of 10 years old to be allowed in their park.
We started fulltimg in '08 with a used '02 FR Cedar Creek that we quickly traded due to constantly repairing something at every stop. Traded for a '09 Big Country which after 4 years of fulltiming was showing severe signs of wear even with TLC on our part.
Traded it for a '13 Redwood (sold it in Jan this year) which after 6+ years of fulltiming & same TLC looked as good as new. I would recommend a used Redwood long before a used DRV, IMHO same fit/finish/livability at less weight & $$$$!
All this said to point out to not go too cheap for fultiming, but find something that you & DW are comfortable living in while traveling this beautiful country.

notanlines
05-30-2019, 02:26 AM
Penra, maybe we could better serve your needs if you could tell us your budget constraints and your tow vehicle. You must have some idea of what your maximum price might be for an RV.
It is very common for owners of lesser quality items to talk down a more expensive product. Try to put those comments in perspective and listen to opinions more open minded. All the brands previously mentioned can possibly serve you well, it will depend on the condition of the used RV, does it contain the amenities you require, and do you have a TV with enough 'kick-butt' to handle the load.
Of all the recommendations above (yes, I read them all) the main point you might want to keep in mind is to avoid a ten year old unit as stated by TT. It is simply not a good idea.

gearhead
05-30-2019, 04:27 AM
X2 on the Redwood. I think there was change a few years back to putting heavier rated axles (8,000#?) under them. I would want to stay on the good side of that upgrade.
Depends on how you use it and where. If you will park it somewhere for 6 months and then move just 200 miles, or if you will be moving every week and going to all 4 corners of the country. If travelling a lot I would look for 17.5 wheels and disc brakes. And just me, I would have to have full body paint.

JRTJH
05-30-2019, 05:12 AM
If "money is no object" and you're looking for one of the "best available custom coaches" then take a look at the New Horizons Majestic line. They start about 35 feet and go up to 48 feet. Pricing (MSRP) ranges from about $160-250K before options. Coaches go upwards of $300K "fully equipped".

New Horizons is the only (AFAIK) that offers a written "guaranteed to withstand -10F temps with no freezing in any plumbing in the trailer".

They are heavy, 16K for a 35' and over 25K for the larger units.

I realize this is an "extreme unit" but when it comes to a "true fulltime RV" few brands are as durable, comfortable and reliable as the New Horizons.

Yes, they do make "cheaper models", ranging from around $100K-200K.

penra
05-30-2019, 07:30 AM
X2 on the Redwood. I think there was change a few years back to putting heavier rated axles (8,000#?) under them. I would want to stay on the good side of that upgrade.
Depends on how you use it and where. If you will park it somewhere for 6 months and then move just 200 miles, or if you will be moving every week and going to all 4 corners of the country. If travelling a lot I would look for 17.5 wheels and disc brakes. And just me, I would have to have full body paint.

Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your experience, as a newbie it can be overwhelming to consider the options.
I bought an Outback 328RL and my major disappointment is lack of insulation (hot and cold) and space is so tight in the bathroom and bedroom. Otherwise it is a beautiful TT. Aside from my lack of experience (running out of propane and thinking the thermostat was bad :lol:) no problems.
We have two leased lots in Washington and many people here have Park Models. I don't like them :nonono: and would rather invest $70-80k on a rig that is movable but still comfortable in the early spring and fall (we plan to go south in Winter).
I don't have a tow vehicle yet. I was hoping to get a 3/4 ton HD (diesel) but am fine with a 1 ton SRW. Having only the TV in the south means driving it everywhere and I hate the idea of driving a DRW around town. From what I can glean on this forum (good info) it looks like I want to be under 14,000 on trailer weight.
I am considering getting a big 5er that can be parked year round and smaller 5er that we can take south (Cougar 315RLS is my number one at this time).
As to price range, $50-70k for the big one would be great. I think I can trade the Outback back to the dealer as it's only two months old.
thanks again!

gearhead
05-31-2019, 04:56 AM
If you really really don't want a DRW, I would just go to a TT and stay away from 5th wheels. You may eventually want to upgrade and a DRW will be required, or preferred.

Snoking
05-31-2019, 04:57 AM
If you really really don't want a DRW, I would just go to a TT and stay away from 5th wheels. You may eventually want to upgrade and a DRW will be required, or preferred.

Have you ever owned one?

penra
05-31-2019, 06:29 AM
Have you ever owned one?

Are you asking about Dually or TT?

Snoking
05-31-2019, 06:34 AM
Are you asking about Dually or TT?

DRV. Chris

penra
05-31-2019, 06:36 AM
DRV. Chris

Never owned one.

Snoking
05-31-2019, 07:25 AM
Never owned one.

I have two close friends with them and they are fighting with problems all the time, just like so many others with brands from across the board. Both of these friends have been to Mor-Ryde to have a suspension put under the rig that it should have had OEM. One has a bedroom slide that he current can not get open. It has the Schwintek system. Both have had issue with J panel at the rear cap. On and On just like most RVs. Chris

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Looking at 5ers with the criteria of:

Space for two people and occasional guests
Kitchen counter and storage space
Well insulated and dual pane windows
Dual AC and 35k furnace
Prefer to not exceed 35 feet length
Fifth wheel

Also looking at KZ Durango Gold and 2500.
thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions!
At the risk of being banished we opted for a non-keystone product for winter snowbirding. It is an extended stay 5th wheel, 35 feet with the amenities you desire. We looked at the Montana line and opted for the competition.

goducks
06-06-2019, 07:57 AM
I have two close friends with them and they are fighting with problems all the time, just like so many others with brands from across the board. Both of these friends have been to Mor-Ryde to have a suspension put under the rig that it should have had OEM. One has a bedroom slide that he current can not get open. It has the Schwintek system. Both have had issue with J panel at the rear cap. On and On just like most RVs. Chris

Are theirs pre Thor? Heard that pre Thor are the better choice.

mikz86ta
06-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Stay clear of KZ. They are junk.
Also, if you are looking at something by Primetime Mfg (Spartan Toyhauler, Crusader 5th, etc) they are junk too. We had two couples with Crusaders by us. Both had slide-out rot from poor watershed due to ignorant build engineering. Neither could get them to do anything about it. One couple got a Vilano by VanLeigh. It's beautiful and a FT Living quality unit. Made by the same people who own Tiffin. Their customer service and build quality is spot on.

sweetlou
06-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Have you looked @the Keystone Alpine?

Snoking
06-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Are theirs pre Thor? Heard that pre Thor are the better choice.
Yes. Chris

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 12:47 PM
I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).
We went to the Grand Design Solitude 310GK. We don't have dual pane windows but lived in it part of the winter with no issues.

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Penra, maybe we could better serve your needs if you could tell us your budget constraints and your tow vehicle. You must have some idea of what your maximum price might be for an RV.
It is very common for owners of lesser quality items to talk down a more expensive product. Try to put those comments in perspective and listen to opinions more open minded. All the brands previously mentioned can possibly serve you well, it will depend on the condition of the used RV, does it contain the amenities you require, and do you have a TV with enough 'kick-butt' to handle the load.
Of all the recommendations above (yes, I read them all) the main point you might want to keep in mind is to avoid a ten year old unit as stated by TT. It is simply not a good idea.
Capabilities and restraints of the two vehicle are very important. We had enough TV before we went shopping and bought what the truck could handle and still leave some margin. Many do it backwards or believe their TV can handle the extended stay 5th wheels only to regret later that decision.

geo
06-06-2019, 03:14 PM
I WILL try to make this short. (All previous camping experience deleted.) We started planning for retirement full-timing around 2005. In 2010, we ordered and purchased a Keystone Alpine. (A lot deleted) Just look at the sticky on the Modifications Section to see what all I did trying to make that Alpine cold and hot weather compatible. In late 2012, we traded in the Alpine and ordered a 38' DRV Elite Suites (well pre-Thor). We took delivery of the DRV in February 2013, sold the house in May 2013, and started full-timing. Note: The Keystone warranty specifically states the warranty is void if RV is used for full-timing. My wife had retired in 2012, I retired at the end of 2014. We took to the road January 2015. We still snow ski, so we visit Pagosa Springs, CO every January-March. Coldest temp so far: -17F BTW, the hottest temp so far: 113F in Denton, TX. That was in the DRV which did quite well. The big problem was the hung-wall construction. I was going around the outside twice a year tightening screws and replacing smaller screws that had bored out the aluminum with larger screws. In late 2017, we made the best decision of our full-timing life.

We bit the financial bullet and ordered a New Horizons Majestic, 39'. JRTJH knows this and has seen a YouTube of our unit. We are very pleased with our full-time home. New Horizons utilizes a lamination system instead of hung-wall.

Admittedly, this is a Keystone Forum, so I should not be droning on about a non-Keystone unit. But as others have said previously, almost all travel trailers, fifth wheel, and Class A/B/C are not specifically built for full-timing. Everyone has different financial thresholds, so one needs to find their best RV for the best price.

I will say, I do know what happened to our Alpine! After all my modifications, it was sold to a mud logger who worked in far northwestern Oklahoma. He was tired of being cold in his RV at the wellsite. He felt he "found a bird's nest on the ground" in our used Alpine! It served him well . . . too well. He claimed the bed, but he had the toolpusher, company man, drillers, and a few roughnecks who spread sleeping bags all about the floor of the Alpine. Why? Because his Alpine was warmer than the mobile homes at the wellsite!

Just my two cents,
Ron

CaptnJohn
06-06-2019, 05:37 PM
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your experience, as a newbie it can be overwhelming to consider the options.
I bought an Outback 328RL and my major disappointment is lack of insulation (hot and cold) and space is so tight in the bathroom and bedroom. Otherwise it is a beautiful TT. Aside from my lack of experience (running out of propane and thinking the thermostat was bad :lol:) no problems.
We have two leased lots in Washington and many people here have Park Models. I don't like them :nonono: and would rather invest $70-80k on a rig that is movable but still comfortable in the early spring and fall (we plan to go south in Winter).
I don't have a tow vehicle yet. I was hoping to get a 3/4 ton HD (diesel) but am fine with a 1 ton SRW. Having only the TV in the south means driving it everywhere and I hate the idea of driving a DRW around town. From what I can glean on this forum (good info) it looks like I want to be under 14,000 on trailer weight.
I am considering getting a big 5er that can be parked year round and smaller 5er that we can take south (Cougar 315RLS is my number one at this time).
As to price range, $50-70k for the big one would be great. I think I can trade the Outback back to the dealer as it's only two months old.
thanks again!

To cover all the main points here and original post look at the Montana 3761 FL. Most likely need to order for dual pane windows though. A little longer than you request but you will not find more storage in any 5er, especially outside compartments. We are in ours almost 9 months a year from mid 90s to high 20s. Making all numbers with a 2016 F350 srw 6.7.

penra
06-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Seriously you haul that big thang with a SRW? Everyone on this forum is in love with Dually so you are an outlier.
I'm liking Montana a lot, going to look Saturday at Montana and Cougar. I'm very happy with Keystone mostly. And I love the dealer I found, very solid company with experience and good people. I don't have $150,000 for a high end 5er and really would prefer to spend my money traveling (and buying the right truck!).

boagey
06-06-2019, 06:31 PM
I just purchased a 2019 Alpine 3400, not full timers, gone for months at a time. We like having the wide body (105”), and all the options. check it out.

Snoking
06-06-2019, 07:07 PM
To cover all the main points here and original post look at the Montana 3761 FL. Most likely need to order for dual pane windows though. A little longer than you request but you will not find more storage in any 5er, especially outside compartments. We are in ours almost 9 months a year from mid 90s to high 20s. Making all numbers with a 2016 F350 srw 6.7.

You have to be close to your RGAWR?

CaptnJohn
06-06-2019, 08:08 PM
You have to be close to your RGAWR?

Actually there is so much storage behind the axels there is nothing in the front compartment except the batteries and a container for sewer stuff. The pass through has nothing but a tv for outside viewing. The bedroom is in the back with a ton of storage plus the separate washer and dryer. The large bath is in the tail. The only thing that would effect pw is the amount of fw as that tank is forward. I travel with 1/3 tank to add a little pw. Whoever designed all the massive storage may have had pw and rating in mind.
Also, other than the hitch and bed cover no weight is added to the bed. We use a propane fire pit so no wood is needed. I can see where a full bed load and filling front storage could creep up quickly on payload.

xrated
06-07-2019, 05:06 AM
I just purchased a 2019 Alpine 3400, not full timers, gone for months at a time. We like having the wide body (105”), and all the options. check it out.

What is this "wide body" thing you are referring to....105". 102" is the max allowed on a road without having a wide load permit as I understand it

notanlines
06-07-2019, 06:15 AM
The wide body on the Alpine is actually 100”. There are no 105”.

rbrdriver
06-07-2019, 12:45 PM
We are full-timing in a 2019 Alpine 3700FL and so far it's been good. Of course you need a dually to safely haul this beast around...…..

travelin texans
06-07-2019, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=geo;34350
We bit the financial bullet and ordered a New Horizons Majestic, 39'. JRTJH knows this and has seen a YouTube of our unit. We are very pleased with our full-time home. New Horizons utilizes a lamination system instead of hung-wall.
Ron[/QUOTE]

Just curious!
Still towing the New Horizons with the F450?
Even the DRV was close to max tow weight & max pin weight for the F450 & suspect the NH is heavier.
So are you upgrading to a MDT?

penra
06-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Just bought the Montana 3120RL! Delivery early July, we are trading our Outback 328RL and yes it hurt financially but the dealer was overly fair since the Outback is barely two months old. I am very happy with the Montana and think it will serve us well for a while.
Can't wait to get moved in!

larry337
06-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Awesome, congrats!

penra
06-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Thanks! Now I'm looking for a Ford F350!

CaptnJohn
06-08-2019, 08:10 PM
I have put 86k miles on my 2016 f350 lariat ultimate without a problem. Best looking f350 built. Now pulling a 2019 3761 FL. Great setup. My wife has listened to the campfire hype and decided we had to have a dually. I'll have tears when I put it up for sale next month when the new truck arrives. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I'm sure the 350 dually will be fine but I never wanted one or a long bed. After a year of her talking I finally gave in and ordered.

notanlines
06-09-2019, 02:21 AM
Let me get this straight: " My wife has listened to the campfire hype and decided we had to have a dually." Holy shmolly, now there's a keeper! I'll bet not a one of us our here have ever heard that where a TV was involved...Our last boat, yes, but the F450 took a little doing.

CaptnJohn
06-09-2019, 04:59 AM
[emoji23]. Now she wants me to sell the boat! Took over a year on the dually and will take much longer on the boat!

geo
06-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Just curious!
Still towing the New Horizons with the F450?
Even the DRV was close to max tow weight & max pin weight for the F450 & suspect the NH is heavier.
So are you upgrading to a MDT?

Yes, the 2016 Ford F450 is MDT. It is a dually long bed supercab. Actually, the fifth wheel ratings given by Ford are based on the Ford Reese fifth wheel hitch which has a lower rating than the F450 itself. The gooseneck rating is 31,000 pounds. I have a Comfort Ride hitch rated for 30,000 pounds. The NH is within the spec ratings of the F450.

I pulled my Alpine and DRV with a 2010 F350 dually, long bed, supercab. I realize not everyone likes a dually, but for the past 9 years, the dually has been the primary transportation. I've driven it everywhere, except for one tunnel in the Black Hills that was 8'2" wide. The F350/F450 hips are 8'4".

The important thing is not "can the truck pull the RV". It is important that the RV falls below maximum rating of the truck. Some say it should be only 80% of the max rating. Another problem is "stopping". Sure, you may be on the maximum of the truck or even a little above, but when it comes stopping safely . . . can you? It is important to think about. Yes, the RV has brakes, but stopping involves both the truck and the RV. (On my NH, I upgraded to 3 8K Morryde IS "axles" and 17.5" wheels with disc brakes and Load Rated J Michelin tires. I can stop!)

Penra - there are a lot of Montanas on the road. You should be pleased with your purchase and have many miles of adventure! Hopefully, we will meet on the road. Happy Travels!

Just my two cents,
Ron

CaptnJohn
06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
The 450 has a higher rating on weight to pull but the 350 has a higher payload with the 14k package. Still the 450 has a better turning radius and larger brakes. Other than that they are about the same truck. Verify on the 2019 brochure.

penra
06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
I have put 86k miles on my 2016 f350 lariat ultimate without a problem. Best looking f350 built. Now pulling a 2019 3761 FL. Great setup. My wife has listened to the campfire hype and decided we had to have a dually. I'll have tears when I put it up for sale next month when the new truck arrives. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I'm sure the 350 dually will be fine but I never wanted one or a long bed. After a year of her talking I finally gave in and ordered.

Will you be posting that 'FOR SALE' here first for your good pals?

CaptnJohn
06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Have to keep it until the new truck arrives. If no certain deal I'll trade. Best looking truck I've seen in years. All may maintenance done at dealer. I have the clear title.
Interested?

Roscommon48
06-11-2019, 04:55 AM
I don't think you'd be interested in a DRV--mobile suites. you need a F450 or bigger...

heartland has some nice products too.

All 5th wheels are basically the same, it just depends on what you like and where you will be going. 'well insulated' is a joke in the rv industry. as for dual pane, they don't really help much...in my opinion and are a waste of money.
but i do know you will love 2 a/c units and a lippert 6 point leveling system.

Laredo Tugger
06-11-2019, 05:42 AM

It was falsely stated in post #32 that "Everyone on this forum is in love with Dually" and, for the record, I am not an "outlier".
Like Capt.John I "never wanted one or a long bed". I have more than enough TV for the mission (Yes , went to the scales fully loaded) and have no plans to replace my 5er with a larger unit. And we have no plans to ever full time as well.
Having DW discuss what she heard at the "campfire" is not a bad thing as it helped you make a rational "joint" decision on a major purchase. As for the "year of her talking" well, we all know what that is in translation.
One guy on this forum posted that his DW came home from the dealer in a brand new DRW and that he was unaware of her intentions to purchase.
Put in simple terms,if my DW came home with a major purchase of that magnitude without my knowledge she better have her attorney in the passengers seat.
RMc

Snoking
06-11-2019, 07:20 AM
I pulled my Alpine and DRV with a 2010 F350 dually, long bed, supercab. I realize not everyone likes a dually, but for the past 9 years, the dually has been the primary transportation. I've driven it everywhere, except for one tunnel in the Black Hills that was 8'2" wide. The F350/F450 hips are 8'4".

Ron

Don't try this in the Redwoods. Chris

CaptnJohn
06-11-2019, 08:19 AM
It was falsely stated in post #32 that "Everyone on this forum is in love with Dually" and, for the record, I am not an "outlier".

Like Capt.John I "never wanted one or a long bed". I have more than enough TV for the mission (Yes , went to the scales fully loaded) and have no plans to replace my 5er with a larger unit. And we have no plans to ever full time as well.

Having DW discuss what she heard at the "campfire" is not a bad thing as it helped you make a rational "joint" decision on a major purchase. As for the "year of her talking" well, we all know what that is in translation.

One guy on this forum posted that his DW came home from the dealer in a brand new DRW and that he was unaware of her intentions to purchase.

Put in simple terms,if my DW came home with a major purchase of that magnitude without my knowledge she better have her attorney in the passengers seat.

RMc

Only 3 things we discuss', real estate, vehicles, and 5ers. I always gave her more say in home purchases and 5ers. In nearly 50 years of marriage this is the 1st time I purchased the type of vehicle that is my driver at her wish. It got to the point even turning off my hearing aids did not work, another 1st.

penra
06-11-2019, 08:25 AM
RMc

I rephrase my statement then, there is a strong preference for DRW on this forum. By "outlier" I just meant you are in the minority, those who do not love DRW.

sourdough
06-11-2019, 08:39 AM
I rephrase my statement then, there is a strong preference for DRW on this forum. By "outlier" I just meant you are in the minority, those who do not love DRW.

I'm not sure that those that like SRW are in the minority. Those that like DRW really like their DRWs and are proud of them and I don't blame them. They really are great towing vehicles. For some like myself they just don't fit in my plans and I will choose an RV that fits within those confines.

Laredo Tugger
06-11-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure that those that like SRW are in the minority. Those that like DRW really like their DRWs and are proud of them and I don't blame them. They really are great towing vehicles. For some like myself they just don't fit in my plans and I will choose an RV that fits within those confines.

Yeah....What he said!!!
I am comfortably within the specs and maximums for my TV and 5er combo.I have about 600 lbs. of cargo weight available. When I weighed at the scales I had everything I could think of loaded. Bikes.tools,clothes,food ect... Even had a generator and separate fuel tank (full) in the TV. Normally I do not travel with the tank (12 gallons) full.
If I ever change my 5er it will be for something smaller than what I have now. But for now this floor plan is perfect.

Hey penra,no offense man. Duallies have their place for sure,in fact there are many 2500s out there that should be duallies. But that's another thread I'm sure. I had a guy the other day tell me he was towing a 41 foot 5er with a 2500 Diesel. Yikes!!!
Enjoy your rig !!
RMc

CaptnJohn
06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Sounds like my neighbor. He has a 2017 F250 diesel and pulling a new 41' Montana. To make matters worse with a 331 ratio. His pw is higher than his payload.

JRTJH
06-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Sounds like my neighbor. He has a 2017 F250 diesel and pulling a new 41' Montana. To make matters worse with a 331 ratio. His pw is higher than his payload.

If his F250 is a Lariat, KR or Platinum, then his PW is probably double (or more) his payload.....

CaptnJohn
06-11-2019, 08:45 PM
But it is an xlt. Not a lot of options. When he gets home next month from up north I'm going to take a look.

penra
06-12-2019, 06:03 PM
If his F250 is a Lariat, KR or Platinum, then his PW is probably double (or more) his payload.....

PW? Where is the glossary?

GVW=gross vehicle weight
GVWR=gross vehicle weight ?
DRW=dual rear wheels
SRW=single rear wheel
TV=tow vehicle
TT=travel trailer
FW=fifth wheel
PW=pin weight?
DW=dear wife?
How am I doing?

sourdough
06-12-2019, 06:14 PM

GVW=gross vehicle weight
DRW=dual rear wheels
SRW=single rear wheel
TV=tow vehicle
TT=travel trailer
FW=fifth wheel
PW=pin weight?
DW=dear wife?
How am I doing?

Doing good. GVW/GVWR are usually used interchangeably. The R is for "rating". They are used in various applications absent an actual scaled weight.

DH - dear husband
HW - hot wife (recently introduced) :)

And many more, some I don't know either until I sort of plug things in to make sense.:D

JRTJH
06-13-2019, 05:33 AM

GVW=gross vehicle weight
DRW=dual rear wheels
SRW=single rear wheel
TV=tow vehicle
TT=travel trailer
FW=fifth wheel
PW=pin weight?
DW=dear wife?
How am I doing?

Although not "all inclusive" here's the list located in the admin section (sticky) from 2009. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449