PDA

View Full Version : Got a new 3500HD, now need a fifth wheel hitch

cookinwitdiesel
05-27-2019, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

Just drove home a new 3500HD Denali DRW today (8 foot bed) with the OEM puck system/prep package. Planning to get a fifth wheel in the next couple weeks. Before I can do that, I need a hitch.

In my basic introductory research I find myself liking the Curt Q25. Part of why I ended up there is they are not a radically different/unconventional design like the Anderson or Goosebox. This makes me feel more comfortable with it. I know Curt has an ages old reputation for making reliable equipment as well.

I was hoping to poll the community here to hear your opinions on the different hitch options and what has worked well for you.

I am looking at a trailer with a GVWR of only 14000# initially but figured I may as well get a hitch with plenty of room to grow since this barely impacts the price (would it impact the ride?). Shouldn't need a slider since I have the 8 foot bed.

This would be my first fifth wheel so please let me know anything and everything I should know going into it.

Thanks!

cayovelez
05-27-2019, 08:56 PM
I also have a 2019 Silverado 3500 ltz short bed. I have an Andersen Aluminium superhitch and love it. I have talked to several people that have gone to Andersen and everyone love them. I my large RV facility I am now there are 3 other people with them and 2 of them switched from curt slider and have no regrets. The other fellow had and auto slider and switch to Andersen and he won't go back. My 2 cents, I love my Andersen on my 3500. I can't even tell I am pulling my 5th. wheel.

Big1
05-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Congrats to both, pics?

notanlines
05-28-2019, 12:55 AM
Sam, congrat's on the truck! Yep, a picture would be nice...And you are correct in assuming you should go to say an 18K or a 20K 'just in case.' And no, simply going to a larger rating will not affect the ride.
And, yes, you ARE going to know it's back there. (I know I'm not telling you anything new there!)

depush
05-28-2019, 02:46 AM
I use a Curt Q25. Was looking for a Q20 for my 15500 GVWR trailer but found the Q25 locally on sale. Am very pleased with it. The head will tilt to match even when the TV is not level with the trailer. I can't compare to other hitches, but the Curt works for me.

Javi
05-28-2019, 04:03 AM
I have the Reese OEM for my Ford puck system and have had no complaints about it at all other than getting the puck system dialed in after towing with it for a couple of thousand miles.. Which took a couple of hours..

If I had to replace it I'd probably go with another exactly like it or the B&W to fit the pucks...

Logan X
05-28-2019, 04:53 AM
Congratulations on your new truck!

JRTJH
05-28-2019, 06:42 AM
I started out my fifth wheel towing with a Curt E-16 (slidebar hitch). I didn't like the chucking and bumping that hitch allowed. So, I bought a Curt A16. It's now 10 years old and still working flawlessly.

If you're looking at Curt hitches, the A25 is an "upgraded version" of the Q25. It's made with improved materials, has a single pin (huge) to pull to remove the hitch head, a marked improvement over the two pin Q25 hitch head system. I'd suggest that you check out the A25, essentially the same price and IMHO, a better hitch.

Both will, if properly maintained, give you a lifetime of good service and reliability. Not to "knock" the competition, but I've always had excellent service from Curt products, so I've seen no reason to "move on to another manufacturer".....

Here's Etrailer's take on the two models: https://www.etrailer.com/question-269062.html

Brentw
05-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Have not used any others. Had Q25 on a slider and rails and a Q 25 on pucks for my 5th wheel prep truck. No issues, other than slider on rails had some clunking.

travelin texans
05-28-2019, 07:55 AM
My last, and final, hitch was the B&W Companion which performed great, easy to hitch/unhitch at most any angle & relatively lightweight.
Had a Reese in the previous dually & personally would never buy another, hitching/unhitching was a PITA unless it was fairly straight alignment + nearly level.
Can't speak about the Andersons other than I gave them a real hard look before I bought the B&W, but just couldn't get passed how flimsy they look to haul a 16.5k 5th wheel regardless of all the reviews, guess that's why there's so many brands on the market.

cookinwitdiesel
05-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the notes on the Curt A vs Q. I was looking at the Q because the claims of being quiet seemed appealing. If the A is juts as quiet and better in other ways I will check that out too.

sponge60
05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
I've had the Pull Rite Super Glide and the Andersen Ultimate. Without reservation, I recommend the Andersen. Easy to install the goose neck ball adapter. No "chucking" when pulling. It is noise free too. And you can remove the Andersen from the truck by yourself in about 3 minutes.

The super glide was a very nice hitch, but was too heavy to remove without help.

Snoking
05-28-2019, 05:49 PM
B&W is the gold standard of conventional 5th wheel hitches and made in North America. All Curt 5th wheel hitches are made in china. If you want a conventional 5th wheel hitch, I highly recommend the the B&W. RVK3700 (20K) or RVK3705 (25K). B&W hitches are easy to hitch and unhitch, and verify that the jaws are locked correctly on the King Pin. Chris

rhagfo
05-28-2019, 08:15 PM
I also have a 2019 Silverado 3500 ltz short bed. I have an Andersen Aluminium superhitch and love it. I have talked to several people that have gone to Andersen and everyone love them. I my large RV facility I am now there are 3 other people with them and 2 of them switched from curt slider and have no regrets. The other fellow had and auto slider and switch to Andersen and he won't go back. My 2 cents, I love my Andersen on my 3500. I can't even tell I am pulling my 5th. wheel.

I don't like the Andersen for the same reason I don't like the B&W companion! They both rely on the bed floor to support the 5er's weight. Both are drawn down to the bed with a bolt, and have fore aft pads to support the weight of the 5er, on the ever thinner bed floors.
B&W now makes hitches for Puck systems, Andersen doesn't, I want my 5er solidly attached to the TV frame at four points.

gearhead
05-29-2019, 04:29 AM
If I had it to do all over again I would go with the Goosebox. It ain't cheap, and you will likely have to buy another one when you upgrade to another 5th. You will have more bed space and no hitch to remove to use your truck bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7tJ4ZcvGM

cookinwitdiesel
05-29-2019, 05:33 AM
I like the simplicity of the Goosebox but am weary of the warranty implications.

DucBill
05-30-2019, 06:43 AM
Cookinwithdiesel congratulations on your truck FWIW I ordered my '15 Sierra SLT 3500 DCDA DRW in 3/14 and have been happy since, just wish GM would have put Denso FI in mine instead of the Bosch CP4 but I extended my GM warranty when and if it takes out my fuel system 5 yrs 58k miles of trouble free service so far.
I have had several 5vers with various 5th and gooseneck setups including Andersen Ulltimate, Reese Elite 20k# and 5th Airborn with sidewinder, I'm currently running 2yrs+ Reese Goose Box on my '14 375 Fuzion and I wouldn't go back to a non air ride set up. Your truck probably has the puck system which will make your install alot easier I set up mine with rails as GM hadnt gotten around to offering their puck sytem when I ordered mine. My bed is empty, most of time when towing but goose box opens alot of space and no boat anchor to remove when not towing, hooking up safety chains and latching ball is and reach under over hang of 5th is a pain but thats it. I check air pressure before hitching and it bleeds off excess once on the ball with weight of trlr. No chucking and noise but you'll still feel the rail road tracks and bridge transitions and pot holes but wont be bone jarring dish breaking you'd normally get. Last time I checked Keysone/Lippert warranty was not effected by Goose box as the only approved Gooseneck coupler BIMBW. Good luck your new rig and happy camping.2200522006

boxcar
05-30-2019, 07:30 AM
B&W is the gold standard of conventional 5th wheel hitches and made in North America. All Curt 5th wheel hitches are made in china. If you want a conventional 5th wheel hitch, I highly recommend the the B&W. RVK3700 (20K) or RVK3705 (25K). B&W hitches are easy to hitch and unhitch, and verify that the jaws are locked correctly on the King Pin. Chris

I love my B&W. Nothing left in the bed when removed except the hole so my rubber mat goes back in for cargo use.

I bought the Companion Turnover so that I can tow a gooseneck hitch should the need arise. The gooseneck hitch ball just slides into the frame and locks in the same manner as the 5er hitch base.

Don_T
05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
I like the simplicity of the Goosebox but am weary of the warranty implications.

The Goosebox doesn’t cause any warranty issues. You can ask the manufacturer to verify it.

DucBill
05-30-2019, 09:18 AM
Cookinwithdiesel I forgot to mention I had to do some research to get my Goosebox spec'd to fit my Fuzion made several calls to Reese with pin box # of original Lippert but was able to get the right shim plate ordered with hitch as etrailer and several other venders said wouldn't fit but Reese tech support came thru. There's a couple of videos on BigtruckbigRvs YT channel He shows install and towing impressions FWIW he also tried BW and Anderson before going to Goose box. Also on Reese website there's a road testing video shot on the Bosch test track in Germany on various terrain you might find interesting.

travelin texans
05-30-2019, 10:58 AM
I don't like the Andersen for the same reason I don't like the B&W companion! They both rely on the bed floor to support the 5er's weight. Both are drawn down to the bed with a bolt, and have fore aft pads to support the weight of the 5er, on the ever thinner bed floors.
B&W now makes hitches for Puck systems, Andersen doesn't, I want my 5er solidly attached to the TV frame at four points.

On the B&W Companion the weight is on the turnover ball piece in the center of the hitch, the triangular shape is for stability, pyramid power. Don't have or ever had the Anderson so can't speak about how it works.
Up until the past few years when the puck systems appeared, ALL of the rail type hitches sat on the truck bed floor & bolted underneath to the frame.

cookinwitdiesel
05-30-2019, 08:39 PM
I like the Goosebox a lot. Since it is part of the trailer though, for now I got a Curt A25 with OEM puck legs arriving tomorrow. That will be a good enough "general purpose" hitch for which ever trailer we get (although I think we firmed that up today). Down the road an upgrade to the Goosebox (v2) seems like. I watched 3 videos from bigtruckbigtrailer - they were very helpful. I figured it may help me to tow some with a normal hitch so I will appreciate the upgrade more ;)

DucBill
05-30-2019, 09:26 PM
You will cookinwitdiesel when you do.

rhagfo
05-30-2019, 09:55 PM
On the B&W Companion the weight is on the turnover ball piece in the center of the hitch, the triangular shape is for stability, pyramid power. Don't have or ever had the Anderson so can't speak about how it works.
Up until the past few years when the puck systems appeared, ALL of the rail type hitches sat on the truck bed floor & bolted underneath to the frame.

Sorry I believe you are wrong on both counts.
B&W Companion, is drawn down to a torque of 40 lb. ft. this does two things, lifts the turnover ball, while pressing the feet into the bed. Once the 5er is attached more pressure downward on the bed.

Rail hitches have brackets that attach to the the TV frame, and support the rails, the brackets support at least 95% of the hitch weight.

Now the PUCK system, it places 100% of the weight directly on the frame of the TV.

Pickup bed material is getting thinner every year, both B&W and Andersen had to make modifications to their foot pads to prevent bed denting.

cookinwitdiesel
05-31-2019, 09:57 AM
Finally picked something to pull with the new truck :)

We will be picking up our new Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R next weekend. Thanks for the help here guys!

Don't worry, I will still hang around even though no longer a Keystone customer :D

Logan X
05-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Finally picked something to pull with the new truck :)

We will be picking up our new Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R next weekend. Thanks for the help here guys!

Don't worry, I will still hang around even though no longer a Keystone customer :D

That is a good looking trailer, congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, do you need a CDL (in California it’s called class A non commercial license) or an RV endorsement on your license for that heavy of a trailer?

cookinwitdiesel
05-31-2019, 10:22 AM
Not in Virginia from what I have seen. Probably should have one because it is a little terrifying they will let anyone drive this down the road though haha.

cookinwitdiesel
05-31-2019, 05:05 PM
Some pics for those who like them :)

Ready for pick up next weekend now!

travelin texans
05-31-2019, 07:35 PM
B&W Companion, is drawn down to a torque of 40 lb. ft. this does two things, lifts the turnover ball, while pressing the feet into the bed. Once the 5er is attached more pressure downward on the bed.

Rail hitches have brackets that attach to the the TV frame, and support the rails, the brackets support at least 95% of the hitch weight.

Now the PUCK system, it places 100% of the weight directly on the frame of the TV.

Pickup bed material is getting thinner every year, both B&W and Andersen had to make modifications to their foot pads to prevent bed denting.

Totally agree about the puck system.
As to the rest we'll just have to agree to disagree!!!

Hey Cookin'! That's a great looking truck! IMO the Duramax/Allison is tough to beat!!!!

cookinwitdiesel
05-31-2019, 07:39 PM
It has "only" 4519# payload, but that should more than meet my needs....pretty much forever. The diesel 3500HD Denali SRW was only 3501# which is just too limiting with fifth wheels in my opinion.

We had started out looking at Reflection (think Cougar/Laredo/Sprinter) trailers which are lighter than the Solitudes (think Montana/Montana High Country), if I had got the SRW we would have been stuck at the lighter trailers and could not have gotten the awesome floorplan we did. I was not about to buy too small of a truck for the 2nd time in 9 months....

I am excited for this trailer, my wife says I have to keep it 10 years and I do not feel bad about that :)

notanlines
06-01-2019, 02:50 AM
Very nice rig! Are we to assume you are expecting a lot of company, or do you still have children at home?

On edit: I remember now where you wrote needing a place for baby to sleep.

DucBill
06-01-2019, 04:36 AM
Thx Cookinwitdiesel for picsnow I'm green with envy, beautiful rig best part is it doesnt say Bosch on FI system or ECU. Enjoy your new rig.

cookinwitdiesel
06-01-2019, 05:31 AM
Very nice rig! Are we to assume you are expecting a lot of company, or do you still have children at home?

I am only 31, still got children at home ;)

It will be me, my wife, and our 21 month old daughter on the road. We wanted the bunkhouse so she has a place to nap/sleep separate from the living area and as she gets older, her own space (and bathroom!). My plan is to spoil her rotten :D We are going to do a ton of camping while she is young, hopefully she wants to keep doing it once older too :)

chuckster57
06-01-2019, 05:38 AM
PM sent. Nice truck to go with your new fiver. Hope you stick around.

cookinwitdiesel
06-01-2019, 05:40 AM
Oh I am not going anywhere, you guys are where I have learned just about everything I know about towable RVs!

Grenel
06-02-2019, 07:21 AM
I bought a Comfort Ride hitch and absolutely love it. I pull a 2016 Alpine behind my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 and even on bumpy roads I barely notice it. I get no chucking or bounce. The other option I liked is it is adjustable for my shorter box. I didn't need to buy a slider hitch. It is more expensive that the others but for my money it was well worth it

idcruiserman
06-02-2019, 07:51 AM
I used an aluminum Andersen hitch for a year towing a 20K+ lb fifth wheel around the country. I had no issues with it. Light weight, strong, and relatively cheap. Frankly, it's a superior product.

Brantlaker
06-02-2019, 08:37 AM
I have had the Reese Puck hitch since 2012 and have used it on my last 3 trucks. with the 8ft bed you do not need a slider. The hitch that came with the truck was a 25,000 lb one and used it on my last 3 Fifth wheels never had any problems and at this stage have towed over 85,000 miles with it. I currently tow a 19,000 lb Alfa Gold. they do make a puck adapter with rails if you want.
call Tow Right and talk with them as they are informative and only recommend not hard sell. Just remember RV's are like boats you keep getting bigger and better. The DW is now looking at a 22,000 lb 44ft one now.

Tatanka Ob Waci
06-02-2019, 09:16 AM
B&W Companion 20,000# hitch on my 2015 Chevy 3500HD. Haven't had a minutes trouble with it and when you remove the hitch, the bed is flat. It doubles as a goose neck with the way it's set up. Got all my stuff on eBay and saved a ton of money.

laedge
06-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Congratulations. I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD Denali. Love the vehicle and as far as the hitch, I installed a Curt Q24 and pull the Keystone Raptor 426TS. No issues at all. The hitch performs well and I especially like that the hitch tilts in all directions. Sometimes I am not lined up perfectly and the ground can be uneven. This is our first 5th Wheel as well and it does take some getting used to. I cannot compare to other hitches, as I said this is our first.

PDitty
06-02-2019, 12:49 PM
The Andersen Ultimate hitch is the only way to go. So easy to hook up and it so so light I can take it out of my truck in minutes and use my truck bed for other duties

cayovelez
06-02-2019, 02:24 PM
I second that! It is so easy. I use it on my 3500 silverado and love it.

smt0954
06-03-2019, 03:53 AM
I have the GMC HD3500 Duramax Single Rear Wheel short bed truck. I paired my fifth wheel with the PullRite Super glide. they make 16K, 18K, and 24K. I decided to get the 24K just in case I upgraded to a heavier RV later on. I absolutely love my PullRite. check it out on the web. its features are beyond compare. you will love your new truck!
be safe out there!

Roscommon48
06-03-2019, 04:02 AM
Since you are looking for input, at least on a hitch, I want to put my 2 cents into this.

don't waste your time on a dually/long box. I srw short box is what i would recommend. Just get a good sliding hitch. start reviewing etrailer on your options.

sorry, i just opened up a can of worms on this recommendation.

cookinwitdiesel
06-03-2019, 04:08 AM
Dually ain't optional, we are getting a trailer with a 2900# unloaded hitch weight. I also like the idea of not needing to mess with a slider. Down the road I see a Reese Goose Box in the cards, Curt A25 for now.

sorgeb2010
06-03-2019, 07:01 AM
I love my Andersen Ultimate! No chucking at all. I also like the fact that within 5 minutes you can hook or unhook the hitch. I sold my B&W companion to go with the Andersen hitch. IMO there is no better hitch. Just like Ford, Chevy, Ram it all comes down to personal preference.

sorgeb2010
06-03-2019, 07:02 AM
I love my Andersen Ultimate! No chucking at all. I also like the fact that within 5 minutes you can hook or unhook the hitch. I sold my B&W companion to go with the Andersen hitch. IMO there is no better hitch. Just like Ford, Chevy, Ram it all comes down to personal preference.Also etrailer.com usually has the cheapest pricing. Shop around always!!

terrythetech
06-03-2019, 07:32 AM
I was considering a Denali earlier but thought the Denali model required a gooseneck adapter for a 5th wheel. I didn't want a gooseneck so the clearance requirement must have changed. Perhaps I will reconsider that now if it has changed.

JRTJH
06-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Some pics for those who like them :)

Ready for pick up next weekend now!

I bought a Comfort Ride hitch and absolutely love it. I pull a 2016 Alpine behind my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 and even on bumpy roads I barely notice it. I get no chucking or bounce. The other option I liked is it is adjustable for my shorter box. I didn't need to buy a slider hitch. It is more expensive that the others but for my money it was well worth it

I used an aluminum Andersen hitch for a year towing a 20K+ lb fifth wheel around the country. I had no issues with it. Light weight, strong, and relatively cheap. Frankly, it's a superior product.

I have had the Reese Puck hitch since 2012 and have used it on my last 3 trucks. with the 8ft bed you do not need a slider. The hitch that came with the truck was a 25,000 lb one and used it on my last 3 Fifth wheels never had any problems and at this stage have towed over 85,000 miles with it. I currently tow a 19,000 lb Alfa Gold. they do make a puck adapter with rails if you want.
call Tow Right and talk with them as they are informative and only recommend not hard sell. Just remember RV's are like boats you keep getting bigger and better. The DW is now looking at a 22,000 lb 44ft one now.

B&W Companion 20,000# hitch on my 2015 Chevy 3500HD. Haven't had a minutes trouble with it and when you remove the hitch, the bed is flat. It doubles as a goose neck with the way it's set up. Got all my stuff on eBay and saved a ton of money.

The Andersen Ultimate hitch is the only way to go. So easy to hook up and it so so light I can take it out of my truck in minutes and use my truck bed for other duties

I second that! It is so easy. I use it on my 3500 silverado and love it.

I have the GMC HD3500 Duramax Single Rear Wheel short bed truck. I paired my fifth wheel with the PullRite Super glide. they make 16K, 18K, and 24K. I decided to get the 24K just in case I upgraded to a heavier RV later on. I absolutely love my PullRite. check it out on the web. its features are beyond compare. you will love your new truck!
be safe out there!

Since you are looking for input, at least on a hitch, I want to put my 2 cents into this.

don't waste your time on a dually/long box. I srw short box is what i would recommend. Just get a good sliding hitch. start reviewing etrailer on your options.

sorry, i just opened up a can of worms on this recommendation.

I love my Andersen Ultimate! No chucking at all. I also like the fact that within 5 minutes you can hook or unhook the hitch. I sold my B&W companion to go with the Andersen hitch. IMO there is no better hitch. Just like Ford, Chevy, Ram it all comes down to personal preference.

Also etrailer.com usually has the cheapest pricing. Shop around always!!

Guys,

Please note the FIRST quoted post in this comment. The OP has ALREADY bought his GMC dually and a CURT A25 hitch. The purchase is complete and he is picking up his new fifth wheel this weekend (If I remember correctly). I'd think that recommendations of "what he should buy" are, at this point in time, "a day late and a dollar short"...... It's a done deal and his search for a truck and hitch are finished.

Sam,

Nice looking truck. Hopefully the delivery of your new trailer goes well. Congratulations on your new rig !!!!!

cookinwitdiesel
06-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Thanks John, I am still enjoying the friendly conversation :)

DA8683
06-03-2019, 12:34 PM
After getting my new 3500HD, I decided to go with the new Reese 27K puck system hitch. I figured that it would handle anything I might want to hook behind my truck. So far I’m very satisfied with this hitch!

Hi all,

Just drove home a new 3500HD Denali DRW today (8 foot bed) with the OEM puck system/prep package. Planning to get a fifth wheel in the next couple weeks. Before I can do that, I need a hitch.

In my basic introductory research I find myself liking the Curt Q25. Part of why I ended up there is they are not a radically different/unconventional design like the Anderson or Goosebox. This makes me feel more comfortable with it. I know Curt has an ages old reputation for making reliable equipment as well.

I was hoping to poll the community here to hear your opinions on the different hitch options and what has worked well for you.

I am looking at a trailer with a GVWR of only 14000# initially but figured I may as well get a hitch with plenty of room to grow since this barely impacts the price (would it impact the ride?). Shouldn't need a slider since I have the 8 foot bed.

This would be my first fifth wheel so please let me know anything and everything I should know going into it.

Thanks!

jimborokz
06-05-2019, 02:58 AM
One takeaway from this thread, seems most folks are happy with the hitch they have and there are multiple set ups out there that are excellent. This is good. More than one way to skin a cat as my late dad used to say.
Cookin', You've done your homework and made great choices. Congrats on the new rigs and I know you and the family will have many years of happy camping.
All newbies should learn from this process; shop, learn, plan then execute.
Life is so good.

cookinwitdiesel
06-05-2019, 10:49 AM
I will say, research is under rated! I started out with a nice truck and trailer both bought new last September (9 months ago). They were nice, but not the right fit for our family and needs. We now have the right setup but it cost us $16k between the truck and trailer to correct. My wife has informed me, this is a 10 year minimum setup now lol

MariettaChuck
06-05-2019, 11:10 AM
I have the B&W 25k hitch in my 2019 Silverado 3500 DRW.
It is awesome... Had a Curt once. BW is better...

dadnjesse
06-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Congratulations on the new truck. Doesn't the draw down bolt that you torque just tighten to the release pin so it can't be pulled until you back off of it.

lfd311
06-17-2019, 01:19 PM
To the OP - just FYI...I was just informed this past week, that the owner of Grand Design was once a "big wig" at Keystone. He left there for whatever reasons, and started this company. This is why you may see that there are a lot of similarities between the two name brands!! Happy camping!!