PDA

View Full Version : Poor AC Airflow

NH_Bulldog
05-27-2019, 09:30 AM
I have been picking away at a long list of to-do’s based on reading through the forums. Today I had to address noisy and extremely poor AC airflow. With the main ceiling vent closed, I had barely any airflow from any of the smaller ceiling vents, (seriously, I doubt it could have blown out a candle). First pulled the vent covers off and reached in and found nothing sealing between duct and where the vent was inserted. Ran strips of super adhesive aluminum duct sealant tape and took care of that issue. Still hardly any airflow. Pulled the main plenum cover off and it was immediately obvious what the issue was....one duct run was almost completely closed off by tape and the other one was wide open but barely connected (all the air was going into the roof void), and lastly, there were gaps between the intake and output sides of the plenum. Spent about an hour re-sealing everything and the difference is incredible both in airflow and much, much quieter. I am going to go back in soon and seal up the end of each duct run after the last ceiling vent with low-expanding foam since the ducts run past the last vent and just dead-ends. First 2 pics are the ducts before and the next 2 pics after and the last pic is the end of the duct from the last vent

Tbos
05-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Glad you were able to get it fixed. Thanks for the information.