PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually like InCommand?

KC10Chief
05-27-2019, 08:03 AM
We have had our 2019 Cougar 29BHS for about four months now and use it almost every weekend. Our previous trailer, a Palomino Puma, just had a basic panel with switches. The trailer is great aside from the InCommand panel. I find the InCommand panel to be very irritating, finicky and time consuming. Anybody else? The app is pretty much useless. It works maybe 20% of the time. It's usually locked up though and won't work even when I'm inside the camper. Scrolling through menus to get to various lights or functions seems kind of ridiculous to me. I wish I could just have a regular panel with switches on it with light switches on the walls. Is anybody else having better luck with the app?

Tbos
05-27-2019, 01:45 PM
I like the app when it works. I would have been happy to have manual switches. Fortunately the main unit has been trouble free so far. We’ve had our rig for a year and lived in it for 4 months.

DocP
05-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Same as KC10CHIEF - I can take it or leave it. I've had to reset the system twice in the 2 months I've had it; the app often locks up; and I'm worried about what will happen when and if it just stops working. That being said, it's nice to be outside and bring the awnings and slides in and out, and to manage the HVAC system and lights from my phone using the app. Given my druthers, I'd rather have the "old school" panel with rocker switches.

Reedhoppa
05-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Judy is still out for me. I’ve had my Cougar for only two days. So far so good although I keep getting a message on my iPhone that I’m using the wrong version of In-Command. Haven’t had to do any resets and so far the system is running well. I have In-Command loaded on my I-Pad AND I-Phone. Much easier to use those touch screens than the control center on the wall. Thanks for bringing this up. I’m crossing my fingers that my Cougar won’t have the furnace issues that some have when temps dip below 40.

Fishsizzle
05-27-2019, 04:11 PM
App: SUCKS I took it off my phone in first few days.

I like the In-command for the water heater and slides, take or leave on the lights. The lights still have switches, so I turn them on in the in command, then off with the switch so we can turn back on in the night without running to the panel.

Customer1
05-27-2019, 04:22 PM
We are picking up a new 2018 next week, a major reason for us getting new old stock is because it does NOT have iN-Command.

Fishsizzle
05-27-2019, 05:11 PM
We are picking up a new 2018 next week, a major reason for us getting new old stock is because it does NOT have iN-Command.

We went in the buy a 18 avalanche, it had all switches behind a cabinet door. The 17 Alpine just kinda fell in our lap with the in command. I don’t “hate” it, it’s would be easier if it was more icon like an iPad instead of scrolling through items

wobly
05-27-2019, 06:55 PM
When we got our 2019 29BHS last May and it arrived with InCommand, I was not happy. We went camping that night and I installed the app...or what I thought was the correct app. I was about ready to return the trailer the next day when nothing would work right. But, I looked at the Google Play store and installed the second version I found on the wife's phone and everything started working perfectly.

I can't say that I am a huge fan but, it does work pretty reliably now.

Here is the Android version we are using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asaelectronics.ncsp3

Old Mustanger
05-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Hated it at first, it kept going to travel lockout on my iPhone 4s but when that phone died and I upgraded to an iPhone 8 that problem went away. Now I really like operating the slides and awning while standing outside to watch them but I would rather have switches for the lights, it's kind of a pain to put in the 4 digit password just to turn a light on.:eek: I am glad my HVAC is not part of the InCommand as I have the digital thermostat for that.:cool:

Fishsizzle
05-27-2019, 07:35 PM
Hated it at first, it kept going to travel lockout on my iPhone 4s but when that phone died and I upgraded to an iPhone 8 that problem went away. Now I really like operating the slides and awning while standing outside to watch them but I would rather have switches for the lights, it's kind of a pain to put in the 4 digit password just to turn a light on.:eek: I am glad my HVAC is not part of the InCommand as I have the digital thermostat for that.:cool:

You can get rid of the password

xrated
05-28-2019, 02:10 AM
The In Command is brought to you by ASA Electronics.....that's the same company that brings you the infamously crappy Jensen stereo/DVD player that is in a lot of RVs. So don't get your hopes up too high of getting a good working system....I'm just sayin!

OldMasterTech
05-28-2019, 04:14 AM
My first mod was to remove all the lights from the In Command panel and install manual dimmer switches.
Otherwise it is convenient to have control of the slides and awnings right in your hand.
I'm not impressed with the very low quality of the LCD display and the low visibility of the app.

curtthegreat
05-28-2019, 05:03 AM
You can get rid of the password

How do you get rid of the password?

wobly
05-28-2019, 05:05 AM
How do you get rid of the password?I believe that you can go to the settings, then password section. It has really be done on the LCD screen, not through the app.

Fishsizzle
05-28-2019, 12:01 PM
How do you get rid of the password?

Yes in settings, you’ll need the “master” 4 digit code if I remember right. Google it

Happy Dad
05-28-2019, 01:57 PM
I guess I am in the minority here. I LOVE it!!
At first I had the wrong app version and it sucked. Called customer support and talked to an American who spoke great English and got me all squared away with great customer service skills.

I love operating the slides and most importantly I love being able to operate the two awnings remotely. Saved my butt while I heard the wind in bed one night and realized I forgot to bring them in. Reached next to me and bingo, awnings in. Also nice to turn the outside lights off while sitting outside by the fire after the fam goes to bed.

Having the right app and also having the right map loaded is key.

wobly
05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Having the right app and also having the right map loaded is key.

Good point. After installing the correct app, you should go to settings and sync your specific floor plan for your trailer. I know it changed the available settings for my phone app.

LHaven
05-28-2019, 04:03 PM
The touchscreen is way suboptimal, but the idea of the entire system is appealing. I've gotten used to the fact that if you launch the iPhone app and then come back to it 15 minutes later it won't work at all, and you have to remember to force quit the app and start it over again to get it to work – I've complained to ASA about it, and they say it's a known problem that they're working on.

Like a previous poster, I'm not fond of having to go through the red tape just to turn my lights on, but I do have manual switches (although at the other end of the coach).

It's clear they put some thought into the system -- for example, you can use the app to move the awnings and slides if you are on Bluetooth, but not if you are on Wi-Fi and possibly out of visual range of the rig. (However, I have asked them to consider being able to at least retract the awning over Wi-Fi, which would be very handy when windy conditions occur and you are away from your rig.) Also, I appreciate that you can control the water pump without having to put in the password, very handy for urgent loo stops on the road. I wish they would let you turn off the travel lock from the app, because as it is now, the travel lock is the only reason I have to enter the rig at all before it's entirely set up.

But I don't like some of the choices Keystone made. For example, in my rig there are three sets of lights: bedroom, main room, and slide. The slide ones are dimmable, and we like to watch TV with only those on. But the slide lights are the only set that are not wired into inCommand, and the only switch is on the dinette side instead of the recliner side. Maybe it's because inCommand can't handle dimming, I don't know, but it sure spoils the remote control convenience.

It also tends to lose its Wi-Fi connection arbitrarily, and it shouldn't, because the Wi-Fi unit that it is supposed to stay attached to is immediately on the other side of the pantry wall from it.

But as for an overall rating, I think I like it, and I expect it will get better as the manufacturer gets some more experience under their belt.

Fishsizzle
05-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Who has the newer version “Global Connect”?

GeekSquadOfUn
05-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Picking up our Cougar 315RLS next week.

Can the app control the Auto Levelling too? Lippert wants a ridiculous amount for their remote ��

Worth noting that getting the correct app should not be that complicated, not sure why they leave the older versions on Google Play... Very confusing.

I have the Global Connect version , it has the logo on the bottom right.

wobly
05-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Who has the newer version “Global Connect”?We have the Global Connect version. If you know the WiFi information for the local connection, it is pretty easy to get the system online. But, if the WiFi has a separate sign in page to allow access, that is where it will get hung up.

LHaven
05-28-2019, 05:57 PM
I have the Global Connect version as well.

The auto-leveling system is not controlled by inCommand. I don't consider it a great loss, as the control panel is right inside the door that I need to open to get the chocks out anyway.

LHaven
05-28-2019, 06:02 PM
We have the Global Connect version. If you know the WiFi information for the local connection, it is pretty easy to get the system online. But, if the WiFi has a separate sign in page to allow access, that is where it will get hung up.

Long ago, I put together my own local WiFi point in the trailer. If the campground WiFi is worthwhile, I point the bridge at the strongest antenna and connect it with the campground password; otherwise, I don't bother, and it finds my iPhone private network and uses that. One valuable by-product of this system is that we don't have to reconfigure all our computers, phones, and inCommand system at every new campground; we just use "the trailer's network" all the time. Another is that inCommand doesn't get hung up on validation screens.

GeekSquadOfUn
05-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Long ago, I put together my own local WiFi point in the trailer. If the campground WiFi is worthwhile, I point the bridge at the strongest antenna and connect it with the campground password; otherwise, I don't bother, and it finds my iPhone private network and uses that. One valuable by-product of this system is that we don't have to reconfigure all our computers, phones, and inCommand system at every new campground; we just use "the trailer's network" all the time. Another is that inCommand doesn't get hung up on validation screens.
I do the same. Works very well.

Then all your mobile gadgets and other devices, like Chromecast, Roku or Firestick, even Google Home/Amazon Echo will connect. That is, if and only if you have a decent connection to the 'net.

sandy43
05-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Yes, I like it a lot. Never had a problem, yet.

jim1
05-28-2019, 09:57 PM
Called ASA customer support to ask about using the HVAC. I was wondering if you could change to metric Celsius temperature. That's what's used here in Canada. They replied with a very puzzled why. I guess they don't know that a whole lot of RV's are sold in Canada. I wonder if the new GM trucks with In command sold in Canada will have it in metric?

GeekSquadOfUn
05-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Called ASA customer support to ask about using the HVAC. I was wondering if you could change to metric Celsius temperature. That's what's used here in Canada. They replied with a very puzzled why. I guess they don't know that a whole lot of RV's are sold in Canada. I wonder if the new GM trucks with In command sold in Canada will have it in metric?
Unbelievable. Wow

LewisB
05-29-2019, 05:40 AM

Same for us as Mustanger: We just took delivery of a new 2018 Raptor 353TS with iN-Command. Love the trailer - jury out for iN-Command! We have the "Pro-Plus" version of iN-Command. For us, it controls about half the lights, pumps, awnings, slides, etc. but does NOT control the heating/AC. Our 2018 has 3 AC units with the new Omni-Chill units (lower current), but the control is the older digital 3 zone thermostatic controller that will only run 2 units simultaneously. I actually like this combination because it allows me to run 2 AC units on a 30A service (at my house).

Things I've learned about iN-Command so far:
> There are multiple versions of iN-Command; the version number and date of build by the trailer manufacturer vary WIDELY. So the question is like asking "how do you like your trailer" - every system can be widely different.

> As is always the case, there can be significant differences in communication quality between android and apple phones. We have found the iPhone (iPads also) to be very stable and not pose any issues provided you do the following - see below.

> Go to the ASA site and download updates to the app and system. If you haven't done this, much of your communications and functional issues may be from out-of-date e-prom and application versions. Follow the instructions to update your system in the trailer - it helps significantly. https://in-command.net/control-systems/

> Make sure you are using the correct app on your phone. Look at your controller in the trailer, lower right corner. Visit the ASA website and make sure you are using the app version intended for your controller. There are at least 2 or 3 apps, and they are very controller specific.

> Our Pro-Plus iN-Command version DOES have the ability to control the front hydraulic jacks only. Initially, I thought this was neat. Then I discovered that while carrying my phone in my pocket, I ended up inadvertently energizing the jacks and taking the trailer off level. I went to the iN-Command settings and disabled this feature.

> I can't seem to disable the password requirement on the Pro-Plus - but I made it simple to use (like 4 digits of the same number).

> Extend the ON timer in settings. This really helps during set-up/take down as it won't keep shutting off while you are doing multiple items.

> The control panel is hard to read - I have to get down on 1 knee to use my bi-focal's, so it gets used to disable the travel lock-out - then my phone for everything else.

Like most everything else, there are good things and bad things. I started off grading iN-Command at 3 of 10, longing for my old switches. After all of the above, the system is working nicely now and I think it will end up with a 7 of 10 grade. On the balance, I guess it beats the old switches. The next time I have to bring the awnings in during the middle of the night, I'd likely give it a 9!

TJO
05-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Great post LewisB. I have had mine for two trips now and have had no problems.

2Savages
06-02-2019, 07:23 AM
I believe that you can go to the settings, then password section. It has really be done on the LCD screen, not through the app.

The app will not let you drop a password for an iPhone or tablet. I did remove the password at the LCD screen.
The InCommand can be quite troublesome if your battery level drops below 11.2 physically at the battery. I've had shore power and several hours on the highway and after running the hydraulics to level the unit, the BCM would not operate. It took several hours sitting at a campsite to get the INCommand to engage the hydraulic slides on my 2016 system. My solution the next time this happens will be to try jumper cables from the truck to battery and see if this would be a quick fix. Needless to say I am not a fan of this system without some other way to override the system manually.

Eric27
06-02-2019, 07:34 AM
I’m with all of you. I like buttons and lights. The in command help line is good. I found out I was using the wrong phone app. I also don’t like how high it is on the wall. The phone app works well for me.

DHred
06-02-2019, 08:01 AM
In command is great for the slides and generator but I really hate it for the lights. I'm thinking about adding switches for lights and disconnecting them from in command. There is a manual override for the slides. It's on the module in your storeage compartment.

Spletbr
06-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Why they still have the old app available to download is beyond me. Once, like several of you, I figured out I had the old one and downloaded 5he new one it was better by far from great. “C+”. I like the awnings and outside lights, that’s it that 5he app is good for. Never even registers my tanks. Also, the panel itself is finicky, hard to push on just the right spot...always takes several tries to get out of lockout mode. I worry the whole thing will fail and then what?

Eric27
06-02-2019, 08:48 AM
I have the same model and no it doesn’t do the jacks on my Cougar 24

LHaven
06-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Needless to say I am not a fan of this system without some other way to override the system manually.

You can always operate the functions manually from the logic board blister. It may be a good thing to do to pop the cover and familiarize yourself with the controls before some emergency event that requires you to use them. In any event, not even this is likely to get you through a battery voltage of 11.8, which is considered functionally discharged. Your battery shouldn't be sinking that low after simply a few hours on the road.

Truckbuddy
06-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Been using it for 3 years now in my 2017 Fuzion 371. It was easy to set up. I'm thinking of adding more relays to it.

They trashed it for a few months last winter but put up a new release that works perfectly. I was worried that they would leave older systems in the dark. The only issue now is the slick screen on my Galaxy s10 phone, I may start using an older tablet if it will install. The buttons are still too small and fingers slide off easily.

The new app didn't work at all for me.

mach11961
06-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Yeah My wife hates it and I’m getting that way. I’ve read several things about getting rid of the passcode, I’ve gone into the program and I haven’t seen anything that they are talking about to change. Is there more to do
Thanks for any information

LewisB
06-02-2019, 11:45 AM
In my previous post, I discussed disabling the front jacks so as to NOT inadvertently move the jacks with my phone in my pocket.

It turns out this feature just saved me! For some reason, I lost power on my Level-Up system - it just won't come on. I'm looking for a blown fuse or other issue. But something occurred to me - I enabled the front jacks in the iN-Command system and low and behold, they worked just fine! So, now I could go ahead and hook up my trailer - plus I know the hydraulic pump and jacks are working. That gives me a head start in determining why the Level Up system is not working. This only works if your rear jacks (on a 6 point system) are already up.

So iN-Command gets an additional star from me. I'll still disable the front jack feature, but only after I get Level-Up working.

Brad

rbrdriver
06-02-2019, 03:05 PM
We have been in our 2019 Alpine 3700FL for about a year now, and once I installed the correct app for my phone I like it so far. I did figure out what to do if it quits functioning for the lights and slides, but still wondering what to do for the HVAC system. Anybody know what you do there?

LewisB
06-02-2019, 04:53 PM
We have been in our 2019 Alpine 3700FL for about a year now, and once I installed the correct app for my phone I like it so far. I did figure out what to do if it quits functioning for the lights and slides, but still wondering what to do for the HVAC system. Anybody know what you do there?

Do you have the new "Global Connect" version? Do you have the older multi-zone thermostat on the wall? It is my understanding that the older version of iN-Command (like my Pro Plus version) does NOT have controls for HVAC. If you have been in your 2019 trailer for a year, it was built in 2018 and may have the older system. I recommend you call ASA and talk with them - they are very helpful.

https://in-command.net/control-systems/

GeoZ
06-02-2019, 05:05 PM

I hated the passcode stuff too!! Log in to settings on the panel an just turn that passcode thing off. Life will be easier!! All in all, I like the In-command system. Our fourth trailer, first with In-command.

turbo
06-02-2019, 05:32 PM
I’m a fan of the In Command and its one of the reasons I chose my 19 Cougar 315RLS. Looked at the way more expensive Montana and you have to add the Legacy option to get remote/app capabilities which cannot be added as a single option. The Legacy bundle is several thousand dollars. One complaint though would be to be able to turn on and off those nice amber LED lights on the front!
turbo

rbrdriver
06-02-2019, 05:43 PM
I have the newer global connect version, so it does control the HVAC.

OldMasterTech
06-03-2019, 03:54 AM
I have the newer global connect version, so it does control the HVAC.

We also have a one year old 2019 3700FL and the two zone HVAC controls are separate from the InCommand. Ours must have been built the day before yours!

atkinsb3
06-03-2019, 07:33 AM
Cool in concept but in reality, even the mechanical stuff has a tendency to be unreliable. Don't have it and don't even want it.

Don_T
06-03-2019, 12:11 PM
I like the app for the tanks, awning operation, outside and basement lights and the generator operation as well as battery voltage. I wish the interior lights were just normal switches. I have the phone app and i like it as well except for the password. I got rid of the password on the In-Command in the camper but I have not figures out how to on my phone. I don't need it as the phone is password protected anyway.

jimborokz
06-04-2019, 01:54 PM
On my former SOB I had a basic remote (like for a TV) to operate the jacks, awning, slides and outside lights. It was all I needed and worked fine. When I ordered my 3731FL I had to order the whole Legacy package to get remote operation. Did not want to spend the $ just for remote so I didn't order it. Actually, now in hindsight I've learned some of the other things in the package might make it worth the cost but I don't miss the InCommand.

GeekSquadOfUn
06-04-2019, 04:59 PM
I too am a fan on In-Command in my 19 315RLS . KeyTV is also pretty good, that multifunction antenna works real well.

My buddy just bought a new Montana, which does not have it, he's got the cupboard door switches as you walk in, he's got the TV antenna with a knob you turn inside, the booster for the antenna...

Gave him a demo today and he was salivating... felt great.

kjohn
06-04-2019, 06:54 PM
We have a 2019 22RBS. I have used In-Command for a few times, bachelor mode. The only trouble I have is having to quit I-C, then restart when I use my iPhone. Other than that, I like it. Works good on the wall unit, too.

I computerized my tractor salvage business in 1980-81, so I am well used to glitches and leaning curves. Some good tips on here. Thanks for sharing. :)

GeekSquadOfUn
06-04-2019, 06:58 PM
I think that is a 'feature' of the app.

Same with the Android version, you can't quit, you have to kill the app. When I leave my RV, the apps tries to reconnect all the time. It won't quit..

TahoeTumbleweed
06-04-2019, 08:26 PM
I would love to know how to get rid of the password...Extreme pain ! !

TJO
06-05-2019, 03:42 AM
One thing I wish they had no was the in-Command TPMS available for sale. Just off the phone they are not in production yet and will go to factory first to be installed on production line.

Fishsizzle
06-05-2019, 07:15 AM
One thing I wish they had no was the in-Command TPMS available for sale. Just off the phone they are not in production yet and will go to factory first to be installed on production line.

You are driving back to get on installed?

TJO
06-05-2019, 07:22 AM
You are driving back to get on installed?

No, what i meant was they will go on new trailers first.

GeekSquadOfUn
06-05-2019, 07:26 AM
My guess is that over the next few years, the system will improve, get better, support more devices, etc.

Heck, they may even open up their API to 3rd parties for more offerings, keeping some devices secured and locked down, like slide outs and Jack's for example.

But I can see an Alexa or Google Assistant link for lights, TV, radio, awning, HVAC. I have my Google Home with me all the time. When I have good internet access it's ideal for watching security cameras at home or other remote tasks.

HEY GOOGLE, close my awning
Alexa, turn ON my TV and set volume at 50%

I think the future looks bright. For those who embrace it that is.

Fishsizzle
06-05-2019, 07:46 AM
No, what i meant was they will go on new trailers first.

Gotcha. Are wanting to swap out yours when they are available?

MHD77
06-16-2019, 09:20 AM
I found it took a bit of effort to make sure the app is set up correctly and linking the additional apps Jensen, EQ smart level and carefree (awnings app). The TPMS app link isn't ready yet.

We love it. We haven't hooked up the in unit wifi/router to make sure the global connect system will work when we are out and about. We need this to work to monitor temp for our dogs when we are out

MHD77
06-16-2019, 09:34 AM
You can try to download the {equalizer system} app. We haven't used the app since we found the app, when we leave next week we will try it out. Then in the {in command } app click on settings-> apps and you can connect your other apps.

Hope that helps

2019 Fuzion 429
2019 Ford F350 DRW 4:10

mach11961
06-17-2019, 09:09 AM
I called ASA and was told I can’t get rid of the passcode. But I could change it so it will be on longer. 30mins. My wife gets mad every time she has to use it, at first it was good now it’s a problem. Does anyone know it a update will have a different logic so you can take it out? I have a 2018 Fuzion 423, with the PRO PLUS. I like the slides and tanks, tho water heater. And the APP will just not connect at times.
Thanks for any info

infantryofficer81
07-02-2019, 02:58 AM
I called ASA and was told I can’t get rid of the passcode. But I could change it so it will be on longer. 30mins. My wife gets mad every time she has to use it, at first it was good now it’s a problem. Does anyone know it a update will have a different logic so you can take it out? I have a 2018 Fuzion 423, with the PRO PLUS. I like the slides and tanks, tho water heater. And the APP will just not connect at times.
Thanks for any info
Hello,
Mach11961 that's not true. I contacted ASA and the technician walked me through the process of disabling the passcode on my screen, and I have the PRO PLUS version as well in my unit. I can touch any button and the screen comes on. I make a selection. No more entering a passcode. Now, I still have to enter the passcode on the phone App. I haven't figured out how to get rid of that, yet. Another thing...I was told you can only connect one phone at a time to the system. I had gotten frustrated because I couldn't connect my iphone, my wife's iphone, and my ipad at the same time. The tech told me safety was the driving force behind that decision. In other words, if my wife wants to use the system, then I have to disconnect my phone to allow her to use it. I understand the safety concern, but I think they could build in some safeguards. Now, if I'm away from the trailer, she can then connect her phone.

mach11961
07-02-2019, 03:14 AM
Well infantryofficer81 that’s what he told me, so if you know how to get rid of the passcode let me know. The gentleman that I talked to said that couldn’t but he he walked me through the program so I put the passcode in and and will not need a passcode for 30mins.

Reedhoppa
07-02-2019, 05:40 AM
Would it be possible to share the steps to get rid of the passcode here?

GeekSquadOfUn
07-02-2019, 06:12 AM
Here we go

Menu home
Settings
Passcode.. Enter your passcode
Set Timer. Check pick Off

You're done.

You'll still have to use it on your phone or tablet...

MattHelm21
07-02-2019, 04:50 PM
I had gotten frustrated because I couldn't connect my iphone, my wife's iphone, and my ipad at the same time. The tech told me safety was the driving force behind that decision.

This won’t help you(or me) but the documentation I read says the issue is with Bluetooth security in IOS allowing only one IOS device to be paired to the system(functionally) at a time. Multiple can be paired but only one works. However, with android devices, the documentations says this restriction does not apply. I can’t confirm this myself but perhaps someone else can.

wobly
07-02-2019, 04:53 PM
If I remember correctly, there are at least three different versions of the iN-Command system. There may be more. But, the DW and I can have both of our Android phones connected at the same time. Also, I turned off the passcode at the display, but it stays on for the app. 22597

GeekSquadOfUn
07-02-2019, 05:03 PM
This won’t help you(or me) but the documentation I read says the issue is with Bluetooth security in IOS allowing only one IOS device to be paired to the system(functionally) at a time. Multiple can be paired but only one works. However, with android devices, the documentations says this restriction does not apply. I can’t confirm this myself but perhaps someone else can.
I think it's an Apple thing.

I can confirm that I have 1 iPad (my wife) and 3 Android devices and I can use any one of my Androids at any time, even if my wife is connected too. My 3 devices are : Asus Tablet, Google Pixel 2 phone and my truck radio: installed a new head unit, essentially an Android tablet and radio all in one. I installed the iN-Command app and it works fine.

rakearns1
07-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Hi, I picked up my 2019 Cougar RKS half ton Wednesday. The in command is great except the tanks monitor doesn't work. Frustrating because everybody were closed for the long week end. Has anyone else have this problem?

LHaven
07-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Hi, I picked up my 2019 Cougar RKS half ton Wednesday. The in command is great except the tanks monitor doesn't work. Frustrating because everybody were closed for the long week end. Has anyone else have this problem?

Only like everybody. Tank monitors are the "streetcorner Rolexes" of RVing.

How do yours not work? Do they not show up on the screen at all, or do they just read incorrect levels?

If the latter, you will find many threads here from people with broken sensors, and the consensus advice seems to be to ignore repairing them entirely and do the whole process by ear.

rakearns1
07-08-2019, 04:49 AM
My tank monitor doesn't record anything in the tanks. I filled my fresh water tank and it shows a blue line under each tank on the monitor.

MarkEHansen
07-08-2019, 08:06 AM
The blue line is the fullness indicator. Can you share a picture of your display panel showing the tank monitors?

saturn450
07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
I love mine. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone to get it working but not very often. No other problems

GeekSquadOfUn
07-08-2019, 07:11 PM
The blue line is the fullness indicator. Can you share a picture of your display panel showing the tank monitors?
I can see the confusion in reading those lines.

Like Mark says the Blue lines indicate the fullness.

The only one that can be relied upon is the Fresh Water one, well at least for ME. The other ones are a crap shot, pun intended 😉

Free88
08-22-2019, 06:23 PM

We got our Cougar 27SAB in late June 2019. This was one of the issues we have. None of the tanks would read anything, despite having a known approximately quantity of water in them. There is a connector/ribbon that is just for the tank sensors at your base unit (in the forward storage compartment). A quick lookup of that schematic will identify it for you. Make sure that is plugged in securely. If I recall, one of those pins is supposed to have 7 volts, which is the wetting voltage to each of the sensors. Each sensor is a variable resister that will change in value according to water level. I found that one of ours was shorted and pulling the entire 7 volts down to something like 0.5 volts. In few words, one sensor being shorted pretty much makes all of them not able to work. To troubleshoot further requires dropping the enclosed underbelly and getting to the sensor itself. Since it is still under warranty and we had a list of other issues, we decided to just let the dealer handle it.

I am sure they will getting it working, as this is a common problem and they should know exactly how to fix it. However, I dont expect that these will last forever. They are really more of a gimmick than anything else. It would be great to know tank levels, but the truth is that to do it right actually costs quite a bit more than you would think.

LHaven
09-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Here's an interesting use of inCommand.

You can determine whether or not your tank level sensors are still operating properly (or stuck) by connecting to inCommand while you're on the road towing (the Bluetooth signal reaches the tow vehicle cab, at least in my set up), calling up the tanks, and actually watching as they slosh! If they don't slosh, you have a stuck sensor.

When you're rinsing out your black tank using the built-in rinsing port, it's also useful if you're one of us who likes to close the dump valve and fill up the black tank one more time for a clean flush -- instead of guessing when the black tank is full, you can watch it fill up on your smart phone.

LewisB
09-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Here's an interesting use of inCommand.

When you're rinsing out your black tank using the built-in rinsing port, it's also useful if you're one of us who likes to close the dump valve and fill up the black tank one more time for a clean flush -- instead of guessing when the black tank is full, you can watch it fill up on your smart phone.

Excellent suggestion that works really well for me. I found that the sensors will show the tank 1/3 full when the flushing water is running. I let the flushing water run until it reaches 2/3 then shut it off. Once you shut the water off the sensors show the actual tank level. I am guessing that the spray actually flows over the sensors, fooling them when the spray is flowing. That may be a good thing in that it would help to keep the sensors clean and operating.

GeekSquadOfUn
09-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Innovative use for iN-Command for sure.

But honestly, I couldn't care less for my sensor readings, I know when it's full and needs emptying. I am somewhat flabbergasted by the interest people have in this. You keep re-filling it up with crap and TP, so if you do get it to read OK at one point, it's a moment in time. A mere instant of joy.

I've been RVing for decades, never had any tank related problems. One gets a feel for when it needs emptying, and that's it.

There are so many more critical issues to worry about, or care for, when pulling a house on wheels weighing tons, at speed on a highway.

Then only one light worth its salt is the Fresh Water one. Maybe the battery, but I've always installed a better battery management monitor...

JRTJH
09-18-2019, 04:38 PM
I agree with GeekSquadOfUn on this one. Driving down the highway with a trailer in tow is NOT the time to be playing with a "smart phone" watching for black tank sloshing..... From a safety vantage, that's akin to driving and texting and if it isn't "outlawed in all 50 states" it should be !!!!!

As for focus on contents of the black tank. Empty it when it burps, use it till it burps again. At the end of the season, rinse it a couple of times, put it away till spring and when it warms up enough to camp, use it till it burps. Any more "attention paid to black tanks" is time wasted. ANYTHING (short of texting and driving or monitoring black tanks and driving) beats focusing on black tanks or what's in them..... YMMV

sourdough
09-18-2019, 04:59 PM
I agree with GeekSquadOfUn on this one. Driving down the highway with a trailer in tow is NOT the time to be playing with a "smart phone" watching for black tank sloshing..... From a safety vantage, that's akin to driving and texting and if it isn't "outlawed in all 50 states" it should be !!!!!

As for focus on contents of the black tank. Empty it when it burps, use it till it burps again. At the end of the season, rinse it a couple of times, put it away till spring and when it warms up enough to camp, use it till it burps. Any more "attention paid to black tanks" is time wasted. ANYTHING (short of texting and driving or monitoring black tanks and driving) beats focusing on black tanks or what's in them..... YMMV

^^^^^^^^^:hpyclp::hpyclp: And therein lies the answer to how to handle a black tank!!!

LHaven
09-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Driving down the highway with a trailer in tow is NOT the time to be playing with a "smart phone" watching for black tank sloshing..... From a safety vantage, that's akin to driving and texting and if it isn't "outlawed in all 50 states" it should be !!!!!

Just to be clear, I'm not the driver, I'm shotgun.

LewisB
09-19-2019, 06:16 AM
Interesting that black tanks have generated so many responses...I agree with the comments regarding safety and "monitoring the sloshing"...However...

[For the RV'er] My guess is that this is a low priority for most members - those whose concept of RV'ing is moving from one shore power location to another shore power location. If you have hookups (nearly) every night, then black tank status is not going to be very important.

[For the Camper] Let's not leave out those of us who consider "boon-docking" to be the primary use of our RV. If you plan to be miles away from any shore power hook-up for two weeks, then black tank status can become instantly important! You would be disgusted if you found your boon-docking neighbor just dumped his black tank in the National Forest (he might get jail time if caught). I get disgusted when I have to break camp to drive 50 miles to town in order to dump the black tank!

:facepalm:So black tank status CAN and should be a high priority for some of us.

notanlines
09-19-2019, 06:28 AM
"Empty it when it burps, use it till it burps again. At the end of the season, rinse it a couple of times, put it away till spring and when it warms up enough to camp, use it till it burps. Any more "attention paid to black tanks" is time wasted." I simply couldn't have said it better myself!

sourdough
09-19-2019, 07:09 AM
Interesting that black tanks have generated so many responses...I agree with the comments regarding safety and "monitoring the sloshing"...However...

[For the RV'er] My guess is that this is a low priority for most members - those whose concept of RV'ing is moving from one shore power location to another shore power location. If you have hookups (nearly) every night, then black tank status is not going to be very important.

[For the Camper] Let's not leave out those of us who consider "boon-docking" to be the primary use of our RV. If you plan to be miles away from any shore power hook-up for two weeks, then black tank status can become instantly important! You would be disgusted if you found your boon-docking neighbor just dumped his black tank in the National Forest (he might get jail time if caught). I get disgusted when I have to break camp to drive 50 miles to town in order to dump the black tank!

:facepalm:So black tank status CAN and should be a high priority for some of us.

Whether boondocking or sitting in a campground I suspect the status of a black tank is a high priority for most folks. I think the importance/performance of the indicators is being questioned.

Having spent years of boondocking with no hookups or indicators and now years of using improved campgrounds with indicators, nothing really changes. We know how to extend the use of the black tank if needed for boondocking and what to look for if it is getting full; same sitting in a campground. None of it hinges on the indicators, and, when it's full, it's full and there's nothing you can really do about it but go dump it. So, I don't think it's really any more important to boondockers than anyone else, it's just how you use it; the remedy is the same for anyone/everyone and knowing what to look for.

bobcampbell
09-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Actually I find it great for troubleshooting. As an Electronics Eng. it is a central point for investigating all kinds of issues. Ex: Tank sensors, everything right there central

bobcampbell
09-19-2019, 07:19 AM
I believe the relays are automotive type, and can be bought at NAPA??

LHaven
11-10-2019, 11:46 AM
While on a recent rare trip to cold country, I reported as a bug the behavior I discovered where if you turn the (AC) fan "off" while in furnace mode, it comes on low instead. To get the fan to shut off, you have to choose "auto" mode (under which I would guess there's no circumstances it would turn on anyway). I not only got a quick reply from ASA, but they attached an instruction sheet that documented this very behavior (lower left corner).

Of course. Off is on, war is peace, ignorance is strength. What engineer wouldn't have designed things this way? :rofl:

One piece of old business:

Now I really like operating the slides and awning while standing outside to watch them but I would rather have switches for the lights, it's kind of a pain to put in the 4 digit password just to turn a light on.:eek:

This was one of my gripes, too -- especially to turn on the water pump on the way to a rushed appointment with the loo. Now, I don't know if I overlooked this feature initially, or whether they added it in a subsequent software upgrade after I bought my unit, but there is a row of icons for common functions underneath the passcode screen that you can use immediately without going through the passcode screen. They include water pump, lights, and water heater. I appreciate the convenience.

Nate805
11-10-2019, 02:03 PM
I’ve had my 29BHS for a year now. I was looking at a 19 with inCommand. I’m in California and wanted an East Coast unit to get the arched ceilings and 50amp as at the time they only shipped 30 amp without arch ceilings to the west coast. While searching across the country on the internet, I struck a deal on a 2018 for $24,900 while the 19s were largely being sold for $30-34k. Losing the inCommand at that price point didn’t bother me at all! Would have been nice but the switches are easy and reliable.

Now that I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 Duramax, it’s be cool to have the integration with the truck... but oh well. Not worth the extra money at the price points I was looking at back then.

John57
11-15-2019, 05:30 AM
Will not use it. Had I tried it prior to purchasing, it would have been a deal killer.... even teh rep at General RV didnt know how to do some things that were in that system. Prefer switches, thermostats, and handles......