PDA

View Full Version : Outback 23RS two drain tube question

jrhoads23
05-26-2019, 04:33 PM
So I have done a search and found various posts about the two clear plastic drain tubes underneath. My 23RS has the belly panels so I cant see what anything really goes to, so all i see are these two plastic drain tubes. I thought one would connect to the belly of the fresh water tank but that's not the case. I have removed both caps and hooked up a hose to my fresh water input (not the city water input). My thinking was it would immediately drain out of one of those tubes... it didn't. I had my hose hooked up 5 minutes and nothing came out of either tube. Just for fun I turned on my water pump and it started spitting out of one of them. So one of those tube must come AFTER the water pump.

What does the other clear tube connect to?

I would have to think somewhere there is a drain from the belly of the fresh water tank... where is that? There are no more tubes hanging down

LHaven
05-26-2019, 04:59 PM
You should have three drain tubes: "low-point drain" for cold and hot, and drain for fresh tank. You probably opened up one of the low-point drains, and so got no water until your pump passed it into the main system. Try looking some more in a different place (nearby your fresh water input is most likely).

MarkEHansen
05-26-2019, 06:09 PM
There should be some way to tell the difference in those two low point drains to indicate one is for the hot water line while the other is for the cold water line.

These are used to drain the water out of the hot/cold lines inside the trailer. See the owner's manual for details.

As lhaven said, there will be another drain all by itself, which is the fresh water tank drain.

LHaven
05-26-2019, 08:05 PM
There should be some way to tell the difference in those two low point drains to indicate one is for the hot water line while the other is for the cold water line.

Usually, the caps are red and blue. I'd verify on my own rig, but it's (all together now) at the dealer's having work done.

jsmith948
05-27-2019, 05:30 AM
Our Cougar was built in the Pendleton, OR. factory. All of the pex tubing in the trailer was clear. The cold water lines and low point drain had blue lettering. The hot water lines and drain had red lettering. I don't know why. Our current trailer was built in Indiana. The cold water lines are blue and the hot water lines are red. Much more easily identified.

To the OP: the low point drains are usually very close together. The third, FW tank drain will be in the bottom of the FW tank. Find the tank and you will find the drain.

GMcKenzie
05-27-2019, 06:22 AM
Usually, the caps are red and blue. I'd verify on my own rig, but it's (all together now) at the dealer's having work done.

Mine aren't. White caps on white tubes. I've still no real idea which is which, just open both when winterizing and de-winterizing. I could figure it out if I cared, but I never touch them when one might be warm.

jrhoads23
05-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Like GMcKenzie, mine both have white caps. I can fill my fresh water tank up with both caps removed and nothing comes out.

I crawled under my rig and did find this right below where the fresh water fill up hole is. I am guessing this is the fresh water tank drain? If so, how the heck do you open it??? It doesn't feel like it twists

http://www.jeffrhoads.com/drain.jpg

GMcKenzie
05-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Like GMcKenzie, mine both have white caps. I can fill my fresh water tank up with both caps removed and nothing comes out.

I crawled under my rig and did find this right below where the fresh water fill up hole is. I am guessing this is the fresh water tank drain? If so, how the heck do you open it??? It doesn't feel like it twists

http://www.jeffrhoads.com/drain.jpg

Looks broken to me.

I replaced my drain caps with irrigation valves. They look a bit bulky but are way cheaper than the proper RV valves. They are bigger so a bit easier to turn (for me).

chuckster57
05-27-2019, 05:47 PM
That is the fresh tank drain.

JRTJH
05-27-2019, 06:39 PM
As Chuck said, that's the fresh water tank drain. It is NOT the OEM "capped tube" but apparently someone has replaced it with a "twist valve" drain.

You can buy a replacement (without the broken handle) at Amazon or at most RV parts stores. Here's the link for Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22243-Drain-Valve-Male/dp/B0006JLSN8

If I were you, I'd not install a new valve the way that one is installed. Access to the handle is the reason it's broken. You might want to unscrew that valve, look at the fitting on the bottom of your fresh water tank and think about going to Lowe's or Home Depot, in the plumbing department, and buy a nylon fitting and a short piece of PEX tubing and a "sharkbite valve" or a "sharkbite cap" and return it to "something like OEM"....

Here's a photo of the valve that's on your trailer. As you can see, the "twist valve handle" is broken. It can still be opened/closed by using pliers to catch the part that's left and twisting it to open/close the valve. My guess is that it won't last long if you do that, so I'd look at alternatives to repair it.

jrhoads23
05-28-2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the info... I will be trying to remove the entire adapter to replace with something a little more user friendly. I just hope the plastic isnt so brittle at this point that it doesn't snap right off

The John
05-31-2019, 06:41 AM
my outback has the same clear tube and white plastic caps as others have described.

I like the caps better than a valve as I think they drain faster.