PDA

View Full Version : Cougar owners - fridge open with slide in?

turbo
05-26-2019, 04:47 AM
Hello, I purchased a 2019 315RLS and one of the benefits when looking at dealer videos is that the right side of the fridge open when the slide is in, making it easy to load before heading out camping.

Unfortunately the one I got, the island in the middle is about 1/4 inch forward, meaning it blocks the fridge door from opening, and by such a small amount. My dealer checked another one on their site and same issue. Seems like a manufacturer defect - the island could easily have been placed a fraction more to the rear and this benefit would be great.

Question - do other 315RLS's out there have this issue or do there's open?

Thanks - hoping to get this fixed!

Turbo

Frank G
05-26-2019, 05:14 AM
Why don't you move the Island back 1/2"?

chuckster57
05-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Let me ask. Why is it the one you looked at wasn't the one you got?

Moving the island assembly isn't THAT hard to do, you just have to make sure not to move it so far that the mounting screw holes show.

turbo
05-26-2019, 08:07 AM
Why don't you move the Island back 1/2"?

May have to do just that, but wondered if they are all like this?

turbo
05-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Let me ask. Why is it the one you looked at wasn't the one you got?

Moving the island assembly isn't THAT hard to do, you just have to make sure not to move it so far that the mounting screw holes show.

saw it where it would open based on youtube videos from US dealers, bought it in Canada, didnt think to check this when i picked it up. Dealer did offer to move it back and add quarter round to cover the holes, but dealer is 2 hours away and then would need to leave it there.

Seems like poor quality control on the part of Keystone but interested to hear from other owners if others are like this thx

LHaven
05-26-2019, 09:02 AM
saw it where it would open based on youtube videos from US dealers, bought it in Canada

Metric -- it's all fun and games until somebody loses a quarter inch... :cool:

GeekSquadOfUn
05-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Same here.

I guess workers at the Modern Model T factory move the island forward just a bit, as they wish. Hey who cares? Fridge does not open with slide in.

We tried it on the unit we bought before we signed the deal. So we knew.

But, we found out that moving the slide an inch or two, and it opens, so no big deal. We're OK with that.

But you're right, most if not all YouTube videos show the door can be open. Buyer beware.

Logan X
05-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Metric -- it's all fun and games until somebody loses a quarter inch... :cool:

Haha. Good one!:lol:

jim1
05-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Maybe I should let Keystone know our opens up with the slide in (lots of room) on our 2019 315RLS. They might want to recall it so they can screw that up to. Nice trailers, but unfortunately they lack the quality workmanship that you think you paid for.

Pull Toy
05-30-2019, 01:30 PM
How far out do you have to move the slider to get the clearance you need to open the 'fridge? If it's only six inches or less, it might not be worth an overhaul. Even if you move the island, you may have crushed linoleum and mounting holes to deal with. Six inches should be no big deal IMHO, even in tight quarters. We often extend the kitchen slide enough to open both doors when packing for a trip.

Speaking of metric...Anybody remember Benson and Hedges 101 cigarettes? They were "a silly millimeter longer" when the craze was longer cigarettes (100's) ! OOPS my age is showing.

Good Luck,

Eastham
05-30-2019, 04:32 PM
From the looks of the picture. You should be able to sand that little amount off and put the molding back on.it look like you have a little lip around the end.it might be easier than moving the island.

Frank G
05-30-2019, 04:42 PM
I am actually envious of your refrigerator island arrangement. We would have to remove the island if we wanted to open the refrigerator with the slide closed.

Eastham
05-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Sorry .
Just looked at ours and dont think sanding would be a option.unless the color of the plastic is all the way through

GeekSquadOfUn
05-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Maybe I should let Keystone know our opens up with the slide in (lots of room) on our 2019 315RLS. They might want to recall it so they can screw that up to. Nice trailers, but unfortunately they lack the quality workmanship that you think you paid for.
Hi Jim1.

Care to elaborate a bit?

turbo
05-31-2019, 01:49 AM
Yes as a happy but new 315RLS owner I'd also like to hear up front any issues you have had. We did look at the Montana that overall had nicer finishes but also much heavier and expensive for the same layout and space. Thx

alootmar
06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
We looked at purchasing the Cougar 315 as well . It was important to us to be able to open fridge as well with slides in . The dealer we visited had 4 units on the lot, all of them had the same issue ! Bozos !
It is such a small amount, hard to believe the manufacturers didn’t correct it . The counter top is solid surface , it was suggested to trim and round off the counter , should work . Good luck !

Jbrobson1958
06-06-2019, 09:18 AM
we looked at one this spring, dumb that they didn't adjust for that, we decided to keep looking.

pdaniel
06-06-2019, 12:57 PM
saw it where it would open based on youtube videos from US dealers, bought it in Canada, didnt think to check this when i picked it up. Dealer did offer to move it back and add quarter round to cover the holes, but dealer is 2 hours away and then would need to leave it there.

Seems like poor quality control on the part of Keystone but interested to hear from other owners if others are like this thx
A friend of mine purchased a new (at the time, 3 years ago) Tiffin Allegro Bus. Well, I would have thought that dumping in excess of a quarter of a million dollars (or more) the Allegro would be trouble free. He made a true statement-we, those who buy any RV are the quality control department for the manufacturer.
My Solitude has been trouble free (so far) in comparison to others who own one. But, the RV was in an RV show, so, this rig may be "gold plated".

Steve1011
06-06-2019, 04:26 PM
My 315RLS allows the right fridge door open with the slide in. The manufacture date is Aug 2018. You can check to see if your build date is earlier or later.

Reddog222
06-09-2019, 03:00 PM
I own a 2018 311RES cougar. My right side fridge door opens when the slide is closed. I think I would move the island 1/2” and use quarter round to hide any marks/holes on the floor. Good luck.

Preyou
07-04-2019, 05:22 AM
I am a lucky one with only 1/4" (6 mm) interference. Talked to Keystone technical support and they say that is according to specs. So according to that if yours opens it it "OUT" of specs. Unbelievable!!!!!