PDA

View Full Version : Running lights

Utahgeordie
05-25-2019, 12:31 PM
I have a 2019 passport 2400bh and none of my running lights are working I have voltage at the pin on my tow vehicle any advice please

wobly
05-25-2019, 12:34 PM
First thing I'd recommend is removing and checking your ground connection.

Utahgeordie
05-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Ground is okay is there a fuse inside the trailer for the running lights

NH_Bulldog
05-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Is this the first time checking the lights? First time towing with this tow vehicle? If all else fails, here is the link to the Keystone Unified Wiring Standard chart if that helps to trace the wiring. https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-navigation-pages/community/krv-blog/content-container/keystone-innovation-wired-for-performance/

Gord
05-25-2019, 02:42 PM
On my Bullet there is a box located on the front frame member where the wiring harness from the trailer plug is terminated. You might want to check there to see if power for the marker lights is present. To the best of my knowledge there are no fuses on board the trailer for these lights. If there is no power on the terminal strip for the lights and you have power on the TV receptacle you'll have narrowed the problem to the cable/plug or bad connection on Terminal strip.

Logan X
05-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Forgive me if you already did this. You might just need to clean the 7 pin connection. Sometimes dirt and other junk gets in there and you aren’t able to get a good connection. I’ve heard of some people putting dielectric grease on the connection to help seal it.

wobly
05-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Gord made me think of something. On my trailer, the power goes through a couple of circuit breakers mounted on the front of the frame. I had one go bad and had to move the wire to the next one over to get things working temporarily.

Pull Toy
05-25-2019, 03:24 PM
If they are ALL out, as already mentioned, it's either a grounding issue, or a fuse. If your truck jack is verified as hot, my first guess is a fuse, but tusty ground bolts are also suspect.

Try using a battery jumper cable between your tow vehicle and your a-frame or chassis. This will create a definite ground between the vehicle and the RV. If the lights come on, try cleaning the ground points on both vehicles, and the jack. If not, check fuses.

Good Luck,

trucker LOU
05-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Hey Geordie, on my 1st trip out with my new2010 springdale,running lights quit. I was going home in daylight so waited to fix at home.started at 7way plug & found pigtail was connected to trailer wiring with wire nuts , 2 were loose,bad connection.put in barrier strip for screw connections. still working 9years & 140k miles later.----Lou----

JRTJH
05-26-2019, 05:47 AM
I would first use a 15 amp (blue) fuse and jumper between pins 3 and 4 on the trailer umbilical connector. Those pins (3-4) are the ones immediately adjacent to the "key" or "indexing bump" on the connector. Pin 3 is the tail/running light connection and pin 4 is the 12 VDC power lead (from the trailer battery) so when you jumper those two pins, you WILL illuminate the running/tail lights and "IF" the trailer wiring is operational, those lights will work. If the trailer running/tail lights do not work, or if you blow the fuse, you'll know there's a problem with the trailer.

NOTE: Be sure that the trailer "battery disconnect switch" is in the ON position and there is a charged battery attached to the trailer for the above procedure.

Utahgeordie
05-26-2019, 11:13 AM
When connected to my TV and the TV lights are on I have 10v at my trailer connection, but when I test the connection from .one of my running lights I have no voltage at that outlet

NH_Bulldog
05-26-2019, 12:04 PM
If all you have is 10v at the plug of the TV it sounds like your truck is the issue not the trailer. Still likely a grounding problem somewhere. Most vehicles with a tow package have the fuses under the hood for the trailer wiring.

wobly
05-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Here is what JRTJH was referring to. If you put a fuse like this, your running lights should come on. If you only have 10v anywhere in your system, you need to troubleshoot that. I'm thinking that you may have a couple of problems. 21946

Utahgeordie
05-26-2019, 01:51 PM
This is getting me perplexed. I am getting 14v at my TV when I plug in my TT to my TV I am getting 9v at the terminal box on my trailer. I have continuity when I test from my light feed to the ground.

Gord
05-26-2019, 02:13 PM
This is getting me perplexed. I am getting 14v at my TV when I plug in my TT to my TV I am getting 9v at the terminal box on my trailer. I have continuity when I test from my light feed to the ground.
Sounds like you have got the issue narrowed down to the umbilical card between the terminal box and the on the TT. Is the plug a molded plug or is it a style that can be opened up to check the connections internal to the plug??

Edit:
Message should read "umbilical cord between the terminal box and the plug on the TT"

NH_Bulldog
05-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Just thinking out loud here....years ago, I got “lit-up” at home when I touched my electric range with one hand while resting my other on the SS kitchen sink. Turns out the range was shorting to ground. So if you are getting a voltage drop when you connect the trailer, is it possible some of that juice is shorting to ground? Like a light fixture filled with water? Screw through a wire? Something along those lines.

JRTJH
05-26-2019, 02:51 PM
I'd again suggest "jumpering" the umbilical as described above and shown in a photo from a kind poster. You need to "RULE OUT THE TRAILER" or "DEMONSTRATE THE TRAILER FAULT". Once you know IF the trailer works or doesn't then you can move to the tow vehicle. Right now, you're not sure if it's the truck or maybe the trailer, there's 14 VDC, but not in some places, and unsure where the voltage drops.

If you jumper the umbilical and the lights work, look at your truck as the problem. If you jumper that wire and the lights don't work, it's in the trailer, not the truck. Then you can focus on which end of the umbilical connector to start working on. Right now, you're working on both ends against the middle without any defined problem.....

Utahgeordie
05-26-2019, 04:47 PM
This is making no sense to me I have 14vdc on the pin from my truck and when I plug in my trailer I have 9vdc at the terminal box on my trailers chassis. I also have continuity from my green terminal to ground

Gord
05-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Have you tried what John suggested and Wobly photo detailed re: using a fuse to jumper the 2 pins on your umbilical cord plug?

Utahgeordie
05-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Found the problem the wire was shorted out where they made the connection for the back up camera, a couple of cuts and reconnected wires and it’s all working. Thank you all for your input you are the best.

Gord
05-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Glad you found it and enjoy the summer camping season. Gord

tmason
06-02-2019, 03:23 PM
On a recent trip to Canada I started getting "short" signals from my prodigy brake controller. When I got to a place where I could trouble shoot I opened the junction box and 3 of the nuts fell onto the ground. Just a thought for a good place to start when 1 is having elect. problems.I won't even start with the 110v wiring that had been looped and laid on the frame and was eventually crushed to the point of shorting out.