PDA

View Full Version : Furrion camera current draw

Alaskaman
05-23-2019, 07:00 PM
On my 2017 Carbon my camera is always on, factory prepped that way.

The camera is just below the rear awning; the running lights are quite a distance away making rewiring a pretty tough job, finding wires and all.

Does anyone know what the draw is from the camera being on all the time?

After all of the reading and searches I've done it looks like nobody has a firm answer where the full time on cameras are wired, allowing me to put a switch in.

Thanks, Larry

Snoking
05-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Look for inline fuse in the front compartment and/or near the batteries. Might find a 10amp of so fuse that is feed power to it. If that does not pan out, pull the fuses to the 12V lights in the garage and see if one of those kills the camera. On our 2017 Bighorn the camera was getting power from one of the 12V sconce lights on the rear wall. I added another switch to the lights base.

You could also pull the 12V fuses one at a time while having someone watch the camera's blue light. If none of those kill it, then it is coming from the front compartment/battery area. Chris

Alaskaman
05-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll give those thoughts a try. Heck, I see some cam wiring in other makers units are on kitchen lights, crazy stuff.

Larry

ctbruce
05-24-2019, 03:05 AM
You could wire in a switch to the camera and put it in a convenient to access place. On when needed. Off when not.

Snoking
05-24-2019, 07:12 AM
You could wire in a switch to the camera and put it in a convenient to access place. On when needed. Off when not.

Yes, however he first needs to find the power source.

Chris

ctbruce
05-24-2019, 07:17 AM
He could wire it in at the camera, power will be easy to identify there. Then wire/mount the switch to a convenient spot.

ChuckS
05-24-2019, 07:27 AM
Current draw next to nothing.

https://furrion.com/products/vision-s-7-observation-system

ctbruce
05-24-2019, 08:55 AM
Current draw next to nothing.

https://furrion.com/products/vision-s-7-observation-systemAgreed, but wanted to give an option to the OP's question.

jim1
05-24-2019, 09:12 AM
My Cougar 315 camera was wired to the lights above the rear couch. I pulled out the lights till I found the black wire with the red and a black wires inside hooked into the light circuit. I installed a rocker switch in the overhead cupboard between the camera and the connections at the lights. It works really well and you can use your monitor inside the trailer if you want.

GeekSquadOfUn
05-24-2019, 03:17 PM
My Cougar 315 camera was wired to the lights above the rear couch. I pulled out the lights till I found the black wire with the red and a black wires inside hooked into the light circuit. I installed a rocker switch in the overhead cupboard between the camera and the connections at the lights. It works really well and you can use your monitor inside the trailer if you want.
So is the camera always ON when using the prewired cable in the bracket?

So you installed a switch to turn it ON or OFF as needed?

Thank you.

Alaskaman
05-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the input, if the current draw is next to none I suppose it's not a problem, we'll see when the fun begins...soon.

Jim, wiring your camera to interior lights? I assume you only use it for backing, not rear observation while driving?

Like Bruce said I could put a switch near the camera to switch it off. You can see in the photo my camera is quite a distance from my running lights on each corner, it might be difficult to find those wires. The prewired camera lead is very short, nothing to pull out for working stock.