PDA

View Full Version : Boondocking/Batteries/options?

Scott902
05-23-2019, 04:08 AM
So next month we're doing two nights of boondocking. 99.9% of the time we've got electrical hookup, however this time we're not. So Ive never really looked into battery upgrades, solar, etc. I've got a standard Interstate 12v battery thats about 3 years old. All my lights inside are LED. Am I gonna be ok for those two nights? I COULD bring my big a$$ generator with me, just in case. My fear is first night the fridge stops and if its cold, we have no furnace. (June shouldnt be cold but we get some nutty weather so often).

I'd prefer not to go out and spend $400 on Solar or new batteries. What else can I do besides unplug the TV, microwave, and just use as little power as possible to get me through those 2 nights/3 days?

Logan X
05-23-2019, 04:31 AM
I think you would be pushing the limit of the single 12v battery. You might have enough power but there’s a good chance you won’t. If you run out of power, your water pump won’t work, the slide, the hitch jack, etc. If you have a generator it might be a good idea to bring is just in case.

GMcKenzie
05-23-2019, 05:03 AM
I can go two nights with 2 6V batteries, but you can't run your furnace all night for sure. I'll run it for a bit when I get up, but that's it. Dogs sleep with us instead of their kennel if it's cold (small dogs). Make sure the TV booster is off, don't worry about unplugging TV or microwave as they are 120V and won't work anyway. Don't run the radio more than you need to (I wish there was a way to kill power to it).

I drag along my generator, but don't usually need it for 2-3 nights.

Have you got another battery you can take for this trip? I did that before I had the 2 6V, just took my trolling motor battery and swapped them when the one got low.

Is your generator that big that it's hard to take? Depending on where you are camping there might be restrictions on running them.

Canonman
05-23-2019, 05:07 AM
At 3 years, your existing battery might be getting a little long in the tooth.
So, first question, is this boondocking thing going to be a one-off? If so then at least a new battery and your existing generator would be OK.
Second question, do you have room for two batteries? Most rigs do. A second battery will provide (we've done it several times) for two nights and three days with judicious use of the furnace. It will also set you up for future dry camping opportunities assuming you like that option. I'd suggest using group 27 deep cell RV batteries. They're about the same cost as the more standard group 24 types and will provide additional amp/hours of storage.
We like having the option of camping wherever we like especially in our National Parks, Forest Service campgrounds and BLM land. None of which have hookups but all of which provide us with larger spaces, more privacy and for us at least, a more quality camping experience.

Scott902
05-23-2019, 06:01 AM
This will probably be a one off. I won't say we wont do it again, but its not usually our plan.

If i was to look at Solar, would either of these two kits work to keep the single battery topped up? I know no AC.

https://www.costco.ca/Coleman-100-W%2c-12-V-Crystalline-Solar-Panel-Kit-with-Stand.product.100484260.html

or

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BFCNFRM/?coliid=I2HJZU705Q7WFW&colid=RXEH4DF3Q55B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and adding a second battery, I assume it be best to buy two new vs just adding a second

GMcKenzie
05-23-2019, 06:25 AM
This will probably be a one off. I won't say we wont do it again, but its not usually our plan.

If i was to look at Solar, would either of these two kits work to keep the single battery topped up? I know no AC.

https://www.costco.ca/Coleman-100-W%2c-12-V-Crystalline-Solar-Panel-Kit-with-Stand.product.100484260.html

or

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BFCNFRM/?coliid=I2HJZU705Q7WFW&colid=RXEH4DF3Q55B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and adding a second battery, I assume it be best to buy two new vs just adding a second

I guess I'd hold off before spending that kind of money for what may be a one off. Either will help, but I'd wait and see if you enjoy boondocking first.

Don't forget, if push comes to shove you can plug your truck in and start it up when it comes time to pack up. That will power your slide and jack. Might need to let it run for a bit first.

I'd pack the generator and see if you enjoy it first before buying a bunch of things I might not need.

Now, if you do like it, then I would get two 6V batteries from Costco and replace the one you have. Grab one of the solar panels and see about a smaller generator, just to charge the batteries if needed. I've got all of the above as the provincial sites in BC don't have services, but are nice campgrounds. Not sure what the Ontario provincial sites have.

Logan X
05-23-2019, 06:25 AM
If you’re going to buy 2 batteries, I would recommend 2 6v golf cart batteries connected in series. You will get a lot more usable amp hours with the GC batteries.

On a side note, and I apologize if you already knew this, you don’t want to take your batteries lower than 50%. Every time you take the batteries below 50 or 60%, you shorten the life span.

Scott902
05-23-2019, 06:30 AM
Thanks all. Good suggestions. Its a larger Champion 6500w generator I use for the house when we loose power. Not small, but I can toss it in the pickup bed with help.

Will those solar kits work fine with the GC 6v batteries? I assume, but always better to ask.

Logan X
05-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Thanks all. Good suggestions. Its a larger Champion 6500w generator I use for the house when we loose power. Not small, but I can toss it in the pickup bed with help.

Will those solar kits work fine with the GC 6v batteries? I assume, but always better to ask.

Yes, the solar should work with the 6v batteries. The flooded lead acid 6v batteries connected in series is essentially the same as a 12v lead acid battery. The benefits of the 6v is they store more usable energy, known as amp hours.

Canonman
05-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Either of the solar kits will work with 12v or 6v batteries. Note that the Renogy solar kit is a roof mount where the Coleman is a portable.
I'd recommend the portable type if you're only planning on limited/minimal dry camping use. 100w systems are a good minimum charging system. The way I think, solar simply extends your 12v battery supply abilities. Depending on your use (the furnace is the big hog) you should be able to go days with a 100w solar as long as the sun is shining. Our biggest limiting factor is the black tank. 5 or 6 days and we're looking for a dump station:whistling:

Logan X
05-23-2019, 07:06 AM
I agree with what Cannonman said about the portable solar kit being a good option for limited use. It’s simple and has no permanent installation. However, the Renogy kit is substantially higher quality and will perform much better, especially if it is something you will use more frequently. The renogy kit can also be added to if you decide you like having the solar and/or boondocking.

depush
05-23-2019, 07:25 AM
I am in the middle of outfitting our TH for boondocking this summer right now.

I replaced our 12v with two GC2-ECL-UT 6volt batts (https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/extreme-cycle). The 12volt deep cycle SRM-27 had 88 amp hours. That means 44 usable amp hours. A one amp continuous draw would last 44 hours before batts need a charge without damaging it. Your furnace could draw between 6-7 amps, maybe 10-12, depending. The 6volts have 225 amp hours, 112 usable. Almost three times the available energy. It's the easy, cheapest way to increase energy available while dry camping.

For quick reference on DC amps draw:

CO Detector 1 Amp
Fluorescent Light 1-2 Amps
Furnace 10-12 Amps
LP Gas Leak Detector 1 Amp
Overhead lights (Per Bulb) 1 Amp
Porch Light 1 Amp
Power Roof Vent 1.5 Amps
Radio/Stereo 4 Amps
Range Hood (Fan & Light) 2-3 Amps
Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode) 1.5- 2 Amps
Security System 1 Amp
Television (12 volt) 4-5 Amps
TV Antenna Booster <1 Amp
TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outlet Up to 8 Amps
Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan 4 Amps
VCR Recorder / Player 2 Amps
Water Pump 4 Amp

Solar at this point would just be a luxury. You can throw money at it, but you can't really be sure you'll be in full sun for the days you'll be boondocking anyway. You'll spend as much or more on solar as you would on two 6volt deep cycle batts and hardware. And really, upgrading an outfit for off-grid camping takes a longer, fuller assessment of what you have vs how you intend to use it in the future. Otherwise you're bound to waste money and/or be left with something that doesn't fit your needs. It's an issue we all face when considering boondocking. GL

Scott902
05-23-2019, 07:59 AM
From what Im seeing, a couple 6v batteries is gonna run me close to $500. Ive yet to see one for under $179 cdn

Lee
05-23-2019, 08:21 AM
From what Im seeing, a couple 6v batteries is gonna run me close to $500. Ive yet to see one for under $179 cdn

Hi,... Not sure about the $ conversion but last week I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries at the local Costco for $99/ea USD.

I realize the initial $ output is high,... but I would almost suggest the OP purchase a small 1kw generator.

I exclusively Boondock and this is how I do it.... use the small, quiet, 1kw gen set every other day to top off the batteries. Runs all day on 1 1/2 gal of gas.

Lee

Scott902
05-23-2019, 08:23 AM
I'll have to check in store next time im there. They don't list the golf cart battery prices on the cdn website

shermris
05-23-2019, 08:37 AM
I use a small solar panel to recharge, it clips onto my battery posts. I also have a small 900 watt generator that weighs about 25 pounds, just in case there is a sun shortage.
Harbor Freight has a 25 Watt Solar Panel for $70, they also have a 700 watt generator for $105, you can't do much with 700 watts but it will charge your batteries, run lighting and allow you power for low watt electronics. If I am boondocking for a week or more I load up my 6500 watt generator.

depush
05-23-2019, 09:04 AM

There are some cheaper, but ya, not cheap. 6 volt golfcart batteries are the cheapest way to get amp hours.

I think the three year old battery you're depending on is a red flag. You could just charge it with the truck when you need to. Prolly want to at least make sure the cells have proper fluid levels too.

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to buy solar to charge an out of spec batt. Just buying a new batt like the one you have would most likely improve your situation.

Fishsizzle
05-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Maybe craigslist for a used 2000 small gen. It keeps us going for days ruining just a bit in the morn and at night.

We just upgraded to a larger battery set up thanks to a member here giving us a deal. Couldn’t believe how long I could run the res fridge and furnace. Well worth the investment for the 6 volt if you can swing it

KSH
05-23-2019, 07:34 PM
I use a small solar panel to recharge, it clips onto my battery posts. I also have a small 900 watt generator that weighs about 25 pounds, just in case there is a sun shortage.

Harbor Freight has a 25 Watt Solar Panel for $70, they also have a 700 watt generator for $105, you can't do much with 700 watts but it will charge your batteries, run lighting and allow you power for low watt electronics. If I am boondocking for a week or more I load up my 6500 watt generator.Is that an inverter generator?

Fishsizzle
05-24-2019, 04:12 AM
No, it’s not and it’s 2 stroke, so mixed gas

KSH
05-24-2019, 06:22 AM
I thought an inverter is a must for the trailers.

chuckster57
05-24-2019, 06:31 AM
I thought an inverter is a must for the trailers.

Inverter gens produce “clean” power if your going to use plug in electronic devices. If you just charging batteries it probably doesn’t matter.

Fishsizzle
05-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Inverter gens produce “clean” power if your going to use plug in electronic devices. If you just charging batteries it probably doesn’t matter.

Correct. Electronics are not fans of the little gens or older ones. I wouldn't plug my laptops/phones/tablets into them.

JRTJH
05-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Correct. Electronics are not fans of the little gens or older ones. I wouldn't plug my laptops/phones/tablets into them.

Totally agree !!!! But all is not lost if you only have an "unclean generator". One "work-around" is to use a Backup Battery Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to power the "sensitive electronics". Plug the trailer into that "little generator or older one" and plug the UPS into an outlet inside the trailer. The "basic electrical distribution" inside the trailer will work well on the "unclean power from that little generator" and if you need "clean power" the Backup Battery Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) will provide that by "converting the unclean power to clean power" at the outlets on the UPS.

Another alternative is to use a "stand alone battery charger" to charge the batteries in the RV by plugging the "stand alone battery charger" into that "little generator or the older one".

Fishsizzle
05-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Agree, I have a UPS for computes/remote cams for business. Depends on size but with cost getting up to affording a decent used 2k inverter gen. See some odd brands for around $300 on Craigslist.

All in all, I does come down to what OP is after. I couldn’t imagine ever leaving for a trip without my 2k gen. Just in case I’m stuck somewhere on side of the road etc.

Scott902
05-25-2019, 11:38 AM
So, load tested the battery. It's seen better days. Guess I'm battery shopping.

So 2x 6v is the way to go eh..

Fishsizzle
05-25-2019, 12:13 PM
It’s the route I went. The batteries have big AH and thicker plates I’m told.

I jumped up to 6 6volts but we dry camp more.

NH_Bulldog
05-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Our last camper had one Everstart Deep Cycle battery, and we could go a whole weekend on it. Two adults and three kids, nothing was LED and it also powered my CPAP. One time when we camped, it really pushed the limits and we had to connect the truck to bring up the charge on the camper battery on the last day. With our new camper we had twin Interstate 27 series batteries installed when we bought it. Last weekend we dry camped, left the LED floor lights on all night both nights for the munchkin, gave her a bath, ran the furnace, ran my CPAP, had the awning strip light on, etc. and the battery light only came off full when we ran the power awning and slide room in when we were packing up.

So after all that, if you rarely boondock, you should be fine with the truck as a back-up power source, or bring a jumpstart booster pack.....a lot cheaper and lighter than a big generator. But if you want to spend some money, plenty of us here could help........

Scott902
05-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Called Costco, they have the best price on 6v, $139 each. They're only rated at 208ah but should still do the trick ��

Logan X
05-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Here is my 6v set up

Scott902
05-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Ahh, I'll need a new box too. Forgot about that lol

Logan X
05-25-2019, 02:10 PM

I used a single box that can carry both batteries. It is ok but I had to mount a piece of pressure treated lumber in the battery tray and screw the box into that. The box I used was too wide for the battery tray. I think they sell single GC battery boxes that will fit in the tray. I got my box from Noco.

https://no.co/products/storage/snap-top

The new box set up and cables can also add to the cost.

Edit-using the single box actually worked out well for me. It left enough room to add a small box for my battery monitor shunt.

Scott902
05-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Just need a box now. May have to do two boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xA40IQ.jpg

Logan X
05-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Looks good! The link in post 32 is for single 6v boxes. They are about $13 each.

Scott902
05-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Looks good! The link in post 32 is for single 6v boxes. They are about $13 each.

$27 here :eek:

Fishsizzle
05-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Just need a box now. May have to do two boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xA40IQ.jpg

Looking good

blubuckaroo
05-30-2019, 07:25 AM
We've dry camped for many years, and finally invested in a set of solar panels.
Before we got the solar set-up, I made up an extension cord so I could connect the tow vehicle receptacle to the trailer plug with the tow vehicle next to the trailer. That way I could supply extra power to the trailer when needed. It cost very little to make, and takes up little space.

Lee
05-30-2019, 08:06 AM

Hi,

Here is the box I bought,... little pricey but I wanted a single box that would hold both 6v batteries.

https://allbatterysalesandservice.com/century-plastics-heavy-duty-battery-box-holds-2-6-volt-golf-cart-batteries-gce-g

Lee

Modifier
05-30-2019, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=GMcKenzie;341393]I can go two nights with 2 6V batteries, but you can't run your furnace all night for sure. I'll run it for a bit when I get up, but that's it. Dogs sleep with us instead of their kennel if it's cold (small dogs). Make sure the TV booster is off, don't worry about unplugging TV or microwave as they are 120V and won't work anyway. Don't run the radio more than you need to (I wish there was a way to kill power to it).

There is a way to turn off power to the radio. The entertainment center (radio, cd player, etc.) are terrible power hogs even when they are turned off. A toggle switch can be easily added to turn off all power to this unit when you are boondocking (this is what I have done.). You can also just pull the fuse to the entertainment unit. That fuse is usually separate from anything else.

If you are going to be using heat on a cold night you will not make it through the first night with one 12 volt battery. Before you consider taking a large generator with you it would be wise to check the noise regulations in the area where you are going to camp. Some campgrounds do not allow any kind of generator.

I love to boondock but it requires preparation and planning. If this trip is going to be a one time thing I would advise "forget it".

bbells
05-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Even when new your battery probably only had about 65ah. If you do the math, 65x12 you get 780 watt hours. That means only 350 watt hours are really usable without damaging your battery over the long term. That means you can only use 350 watts for an hour. Your furnace is probably 4-5 amps. That is about 60 watts. Overnight lets say it is on 1/3 of the time. 4 hours x 6o =about 240 wh a night. Being more than 3 years old your battery probably could not handle even that. Solar is easy and quick. It doesn't need to be mounted on your trailer. You can have it ground based. 200 watts with controller (1000+ watts a day), 2-6v golf cart batteries (200 amps/2400 wh), would cost about $350. Or, 2-6v batteries ($180), plus a generator (garage sale $100).

Nitehawk
05-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Hi,... Not sure about the $ conversion but last week I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries at the local Costco for $99/ea USD.

I realize the initial $ output is high,... but I would almost suggest the OP purchase a small 1kw generator.

I exclusively Boondock and this is how I do it.... use the small, quiet, 1kw gen set every other day to top off the batteries. Runs all day on 1 1/2 gal of gas.

Lee

What is the make and model of your generator. I have a Honda 3000i but would lime to get a smaller one to top up the batteries with on short trips

Mainer
05-30-2019, 03:39 PM
For what it's worth, I figured a Honda 2000i would be a good investment for boon-docking. Bad move:banghead:. It's heavy (i'm old) it won't touch the AC and frig on ac is grossly inefficient on a generator. Converter is 65 amp x 12 volts is 720 watts, unless your batteries are bone dead the converter is loafing along. A little 1k genset will charge your batteries as fast as shore power. Solar (if you have full sun) will help a little at 100 watts, but it's free:lol:.

If you are boon-docking, you probably have better things to do than watch tv :whistling:. Check the wires going into your entertainment center, if you see a wire going to 12 volts labeled "Ignition" put it on a switch, you won't loose presets, the clock will go dark (DW likes dark nights) and power drawn drops tremendously:cool:.

Enjoy....

Fishsizzle
05-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Good to know about the Radio. I’ll be looking into that as we don’t use it when dry camping. Also the iN·command unit. I wonder if you can turn it off after you are all set up? We have switches for all the lights anyway.

Hoodlatch
05-31-2019, 01:05 AM
Very good info in here. I live and camp 99.9 percent in the east. Since I bought my current camper new in 14 it has never had full hookups. I only camp in state parks or national forests, no “city style” campgrounds for me.

Many state parks have an electric loop, which get full and or reserved early, leaving many beautiful sites(sometimes several loops) basically empty. Since we are normally parked in trees here, I originally skipped solar. I set up with 2 6v on the tongue and a 2000w inverter generator. It opened up endless sites for us to use.

But I have found that it’s inconvenient using the generator in the daylight hours when you don’t want to be near your camper. We go to these places to explore. I am building a 200w semi portable solar rack that just fits under my tonneau cover. Hopefully the size keeps it from walking away.

I feel that since you don’t normally rely on your battery for your camping style, the 2 6v batts you bought will get you through 2 nights with power conservation in mind. Probably don’t need to spend any more money for a 0.1% outing.

GMcKenzie
05-31-2019, 05:29 AM
If you are boon-docking, you probably have better things to do than watch tv :whistling:. Check the wires going into your entertainment center, if you see a wire going to 12 volts labeled "Ignition" put it on a switch, you won't loose presets, the clock will go dark (DW likes dark nights) and power drawn drops tremendously:cool:.

Enjoy....

Going to check that. Would love to turn the lights off at night, even if I have power. They keep the dogs awake :)

DonnieBlitz
05-31-2019, 05:50 AM
Scott902 if your still following this thread check out this site: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ ALL your questions will be answered.

Charby
05-31-2019, 06:38 AM
I would say a new 12volt would be the cheapest insurance for a one off trip. Keep truck connected and running while opening and closing the slide and using jack. Use park showers as not run water pump excessive. A little radio time and some lights will get you by fine. By all means leave that huge 6500 watt frame generator at home, as it will be heard throughout the park, and some will not allow them to be used. We love boondocking for the prized sites, and are set-up with solar, 2-6 volt golf cart batteries and a Yamaha i2000 inverter generator when needed.

Lee
05-31-2019, 08:59 AM
What is the make and model of your generator. I have a Honda 3000i but would lime to get a smaller one to top up the batteries with on short trips

Hi,

I use a Honda 1k.... VERY quiet,.... Small,.... Light weight..... Ruins all day on 1 1/2 gal gas.

Lee

Fishsizzle
05-31-2019, 03:44 PM
You can find those little Honda 600-1000 on Craigslist most times and they are quiet and super light. Great for running lights and watching TV

johnlewis
05-31-2019, 03:51 PM
Forget the solar, if this is a rare event. We've lasted more than one day with a single 12V battery, but we didn't run furnace. Take the generator - it's the simplest way, since you don't plan to boondock much. KISS.
Our battery recharged in 15 or 20 minutes when we boondocked, but we were only running lights, refrigerator and stove. It ran another hour to recharge the phones. If you want to consider solar, get a small unit that will recharge the phones, and forger about the rest.

Scott902
06-09-2019, 04:46 AM
boxes installed. Thanks all for the suggestions. We're gonna go with what we have for now (2 x 6v batteries). Ive got a couple booster packs with usb that we'll use to charge devices. For the couple nights we'll be there, I think this should do us.

https://i.imgur.com/SWvBHpj.jpg

blubuckaroo
06-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Another option is to go to a group 27 battery instead of the little group 24. You can get boxes for this size too. A group 27 has about a third more capacity than a group 24.
Also, make sure you're buying a real deep cycle battery, and not a marine/starting battery. These are for different use altogether. You can tell the difference just by pick each up. The true deep cycle battery is much heavier.

bbells
06-09-2019, 08:11 AM
There is more than one advantage to adding solar. Not only will it charge your battery at 10 to 20 amps when boondocking, it will also trickle charger at
home so you would no longer need to plug your camper in at home. I use a ground mounted 230 watt 48v panel on my camper. I use 2 of the same panels roof mounted on my ice fishing house. I never need a generator for either.

Fishsizzle
06-09-2019, 07:06 PM
There is more than one advantage to adding solar. Not only will it charge your battery at 10 to 20 amps when boondocking, it will also trickle charger at
home so you would no longer need to plug your camper in at home. I use a ground mounted 230 watt 48v panel on my camper. I use 2 of the same panels roof mounted on my ice fishing house. I never need a generator for either.

Are the panels more efficient at 48v? And then does your solar controller convert the voltage to 12v or is there another piece to the puzzle?

depush
06-10-2019, 04:35 AM
Are the panels more efficient at 48v? And then does your solar controller convert the voltage to 12v or is there another piece to the puzzle?

I believe the short answer to that is, no. A charge controller is what you're missing. This is a merchant that sells their own MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charge controller. Good 'splainer at the link.

https://zhcsolar.com/mppt-charge-controller/#Solar_Panels_Voltage

Victron is a long-standing respected manufacturer of systems including charge controllers. Sailboats have the same issues with power RV's have. Lots of cross-pollination there. I have one of their inverters.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

This guy, Bob, an electrical engineer, doesn't sell a thing, but has actually been living it for years. He's a no joke guy I find humorous and has his head set squarely on his shoulders. Lots of reading there about, well, everything solar system related (not celestial tho). He likes the Trimetric and tells you why. Lots of words over there but if you take the time Bob gives a good sense of how all the parts work together in the real world. Link to his discussion of the Trimetric/Bogart:

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2015-the-trimetric-2030-perfect/

blubuckaroo
06-10-2019, 06:29 AM

I have two 40 watt panels and a controller permanently mounted on my little 15' hunting/fishing travel trailer. It keeps the group 27 battery up even when parked in the shade. I see people all the time playing around with their panels to keep them in the sun. You really don't need to do that. This little trailer is stored in a covered RV storage, and it doesn't even need a battery tender. I just forget about it.
The only maintenance it takes is an occasional cleaning with Windex.
One of the best investments I've made!

Scott902
06-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Maybe one day I'll go down that route. We've been RV'ing since 2012 and have never needed it. Having the option would be nice, so maybe someday.

bbells
06-10-2019, 12:37 PM
I meant 24, not 48v, sorry. But, 48v panels are even more efficient for their size than 24v. 24v (which are actually 36+volts) panels put out more power for the size than 12v. If you use an mppt controller you can get all the power out of them even when converting to 13.8v. If you use a ppm controller you lose about 40% of the power if you convert to 13.8. But, many people believe, and i am one of them, that if you need more power a second panel or a panel with higher wattage is more cost effective than paying the high price for an mppt controller. When hooking a grid up to a home most people wire 10 24v panels, or 5 48v panels, in series to put out 240v (actually closer to 360 volts in full sun) which is then inverted to AC to match the power companies freq. A good way of looking at it is a 230 watt panel puts out about 20 amps to charge the RV battery for 5 to 7 hours a day (less watts for the rest of the day). That would be 100 to 140 amps back into the battery. If a person needed more, like with my ice fishing house, a second panel would double that. Oh, if you don't want to go to the trouble of adding multiple 6v golf cart batteries to get real deep cycle, you can get very heavy 12v golf cart batteries from batteries plus. Marine deep cycle or any battery that has cca on it won't have a very long lifespan if you actually use it.

Scott902
06-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Thought I'd follow up and say we did the weekend off the grid, beautiful spot right by the beach. We were pretty conservative with the lights and such, and the 2 6v GC batteries did wonderful. Never dropped below full on the battery monitor. A friend brought a small generator if anyone needed it, but we did not.

Logan X
06-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Thought I'd follow up and say we did the weekend off the grid, beautiful spot right by the beach. We were pretty conservative with the lights and such, and the 2 6v GC batteries did wonderful. Never dropped below full on the battery monitor. A friend brought a small generator if anyone needed it, but we did not.

That’s awesome! It’s a liberating feeling being comfortable camping off of the grid.

JRTJH
06-23-2019, 06:03 PM

That's great! We just got back from a 5 day fishing trip to our "secret hideaway" in the UP. It's a little state forest campground in the middle of nowhere with no hookups, so dry camping only. It was 40F all 5 nights so the furnace ran occasionally. We carry a generator and used it for about 2 hours the 3rd evening. Other than that "quick recharge" we operated the trailer on our two GC2 batteries. As said, it's great to know you can sustain the trailer while dry camping. Enjoy your newfound freedom from the grid !!!!!

Scott902
06-24-2019, 12:57 AM
I probably used more battery checking the battery level than I did with anything else lol.

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 05:43 AM
Yup, GC2 batteries are extremely "durable" and will take a beating and keep on working. Just be sure to keep the electrolyte level topped off and you can expect years of service from them. Mine are going on 6 years old and still seem as "strong" as they did when first installed.

Scott902
06-24-2019, 05:45 AM
how often do you check, one a month, each season?

Logan X
06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
how often do you check, one a month, each season?

I check mine once a month and add distilled water as needed to make sure the plates are covered.

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Same here, I check mine monthly during the camping season. They are stored in the garage during the winter and I charge them every month for about 3 or 4 hours.

We towed to the southwest in April/May of this year. While in Las Vegas, because of the dry, arid climate, I checked my batteries weekly. Probably overkill in frequency, but while enjoying the warm (sometimes hot) weather under the awning, it was a simple task to open the battery compartment and do a check.

Scott902
06-24-2019, 08:22 AM
how often do you find you need to add distilled water?

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 08:33 AM
I've added water every time. I check mine by using a battery water jug with "automatic fill". I put it in each of the cell cap holes, let it fill until it stops and move to the next cell. I honestly can't tell you from a historical perspective, whether the cells are 1/8" low in one season, 1/4" low in other seasons or if they drop 1/16" every other month. All I can tell you is that the water jug "gurgles at times" and doesn't at other times.

Here's the jug I bought, it sure beats trying to "aim for the hole" with a plastic cup filled with distilled water.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EHIFE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cookinwitdiesel
06-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Any thought to using AGM sealed batteries that are maintenance free? Vmaxtanks is a popular brand I have heard good things about that sells a 6v 225 Ah battery for about $275 each.

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Any thought to using AGM sealed batteries that are maintenance free? Vmaxtanks is a popular brand I have heard good things about that sells a 6v 225 Ah battery for about $275 each.

That's $550 for a set versus $194 for a set of Interstate GC2's from COSTCO. I'd guess that extra $356 is probably the biggest reason most people don't use AGM batteries. A second reason (based on my personal experience with AGM batteries in snowmobiles and ATV's) is the restricted charging regimen that for the most part, prohibits rapid "high amp" charging which will damage an AGM battery. That limitation makes it "not as good as" when compared to standard GC2 battery use in an RV application where rapid charging on a generator while camped at places that restrict generator use to only a few hours a day.

cookinwitdiesel
06-24-2019, 12:56 PM
I have heard good things about Lithium batteries too but they are like 4x the cost of AGM even.

I was under the impression that AGM could actually charge faster due to how it works in absorption mode?

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 02:12 PM
I bought a $175 Optima AGM battery for my RZR. Installed it, went riding, got stuck, depleted the battery using the winch to get out. When we got home I put the RZR on my battery charger to recharge the battery. Next morning, it started with no problem. We went for a short ride and wound up having to get help to jump the battery to get home. I called Optima to get a replacement for my 3 day old battery. I was quickly told that I voided the warranty by using a "conventional battery charger" and they wouldn't replace the battery.

That was my "lesson learned" about buying "high tech/high priced equipment to use in "conventional applications".... For me, it's just not worth the expense to buy batteries that cost 150% more than "proven reliable" golf cart batteries, and that require a specialized charger that increases the cost to more than 250% more than those two GC2 golf cart batteries and that don't provide any more stored power than the GC2's. It's easier for me to check the batteries monthly (you still need to check the battery compartment for water leaks, corrosion and other issues anyway) and keep that extra $500+ for other things....

As for lithium batteries, at this point, if they cause concern in leaving my laptop plugged in or in being in an airplane cabin, I surely don't want 2 or more "big ones" in my RV if I'm going to be 20 miles down a dirt road from the nearest fire department.....

That's just my perspective, I'm sure if there's 50 people, you'll get 50 opinions.....

ADDED: I nearly forgot: When Optima wouldn't replace the battery (that was 4 years ago) I bought a 12 volt "lawn tractor" battery to put in the RZR. It's still in it, still starts every time and total cost was $22.

cookinwitdiesel
06-24-2019, 02:27 PM
As for the special charger need, my understanding is that most modern RV converters are rated for use with AGM batteries now? The lack of need for vents and topping off the battery are part of what made AGM interesting to me. Supposedly more durable too?

JRTJH
06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
My current GC2 batteries are 6 years old, cost $100 each, still have the storage capacity very similar to when they were new. If I were to buy two AGM batteries at $550, replace my "aging converter/charger" in 6 years, would I have benefitted enough to "justify the $500+ cost" ??? For some, maybe, for me, even if in a year or two I have to replace the current batteries, I'll still be almost $800 ahead of where I'd be if I had bought AGM batteries in 2014 when my Cougar was new and had to replace them at 8 or 9 years of use instead of the 7 or 8 years for lead acid batteries.

For me, "new and improved" is not always mean "wise investment and best for conventional use"....

But, as I said, ask 50 people, you'll get 50 opinions.... I wouldn't say any of them are "absolutely right" or "absolutely wrong"....

cookinwitdiesel
06-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Fair enough. I will have to broaden my search and learn more about battery maintenance.

CaptnJohn
06-25-2019, 07:17 PM
There is enough light to see the water level in my batteries. I use a turkey baster.