PDA

View Full Version : Bigger black tank

Imgenki
05-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Is it possible to get a larger black tank? I have a passport 2510 and it has a 30 gal black tank, I would like to increase it to 40 or 45. Are there larger direct fit tanks or will plumbing need to be redone? I do a lot of dry camping and don't want to go dump every three or four days...

LHaven
05-22-2019, 06:06 PM
We rent out non-residential RV spaces with power and water, but only a central dump. Since we provide gray-water release piping ("the desert thanks you!"), black water is the only factor in having to visit the dump station. Singles or couples typically go multiple weeks without having to dump black; even families of 4 and 5 can go a week or more. What fills tanks fastest is showering, but that's all gray.

Perhaps the most efficient option would be for you to pick up a blue boy (http://www.doityourselfrv.com/blue-boy-waste-tank/), easily available in over 30-gal sizes. You could get back headroom whenever you felt you needed it, plus cart it to the dump without having to move your rig.

chuckster57
05-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Tank sizes often are dictated by available space. You need to measure your current tank and any “space” open where it is installed. I’m willing to bet your probably at max size now.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Fishsizzle
05-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Seems like I just saw a new product in Trailer life, or somewhere about a company that makes an add on black tank. Let me dig

PARAPTOR
05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
If add on implies additional tank(s) seems like that brings up other issues beyond basic plumbing such as tank flush, etc. As stated I am sure what you have in regard to tank size is squeezed into available space

Fishsizzle
05-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Looked some, still looking. Work is jammin.

sonofcy
05-25-2019, 06:56 AM
We rent out non-residential RV spaces with power and water, but only a central dump. Since we provide gray-water release piping ("the desert thanks you!"), black water is the only factor in having to visit the dump station. Singles or couples typically go multiple weeks without having to dump black; even families of 4 and 5 can go a week or more. What fills tanks fastest is showering, but that's all gray.

Perhaps the most efficient option would be for you to pick up a blue boy (http://www.doityourselfrv.com/blue-boy-waste-tank/), easily available in over 30-gal sizes. You could get back headroom whenever you felt you needed it, plus cart it to the dump without having to move your rig.

Multiple weeks to fill black! Humans have a wide range of BM's from 2 to 3 per week (weird to me) to 3 to 5 per day like me. Wife is more like 2 to 3 so at max 8 gals per day the 49G tank should fill up in 6 days but we typically get less than that but we do use a lot of water to make sure TP does not plug the pipes again per roto rooter instructions. I have never figured out how you can dump a big black tank into one of those tiny blue things without making a huge mess. In any case, boondocking for 3 to 5 days is our norm so no problems.

LHaven
05-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Multiple weeks to fill black! Humans have a wide range of BM's from 2 to 3 per week (weird to me) to 3 to 5 per day like me.

The easy answer is that most transient campers tend to spend a significant part of their time elsewhere than in their camper. The numbers for a residential park are quite different, I'm sure.

sonofcy
05-25-2019, 03:28 PM
The easy answer is that most transient campers tend to spend a significant part of their time elsewhere than in their camper. The numbers for a residential park are quite different, I'm sure.

So I am really odd then. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a restroom other than my RV in the last year or more (been fulltime since Sep 2017). I have a restroom phobia I guess. Even in an RV park I use my own and often the shower as well as many parks are filthy.

GMcKenzie
05-25-2019, 04:02 PM
So I am really odd then. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a restroom other than my RV in the last year or more (been fulltime since Sep 2017). I have a restroom phobia I guess. Even in an RV park I use my own and often the shower as well as many parks are filthy.

I'm the same. I have the toilet and shower, so I see no need to not use them. They are closer and cleaner.

fjr vfr
05-25-2019, 07:03 PM

I think what he means is most "transient" campers don't spend much time at the rv park. They are usually gone all day sight seeing or visiting tourist sites.

chartrand
05-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Switch to a composting toilet.

sonofcy
05-27-2019, 09:41 AM
Switch to a composting toilet.

That might work for the folks on the 2 to 3 times a week schedule, but I go that often every day before lunch plus as much the rest of the day and then there is my wife as well. I think for those who can use a composting toilet it is a fantastic idea but remember you have to sell the RV some day and it might be easier to sell if it has at least the original toilet and maybe better if it has both.

notanlines
05-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah, that $1000 composting toilet is a great deal. Pull out the finishing drawer and wander around the RV park fertilizing all the plants here and there. You'll be a big hit in the neighborhood. And just think how much better the resale will be on your Cougar when sale time comes around! Uh, excuse me, I seem to have my tongue stuck in my cheek...:rolleyes:

Fishsizzle
05-29-2019, 05:58 PM
Ugg, I can’t find it. Mr Short term memory

CFS
05-30-2019, 07:59 AM
I have a 2014 2510rb and I picked up a portable with 4 wheels to pull it to the dump station, I wouldn't even want to contemplate installing a larger tank in the RV. Just pull it slow, not made for too high of speed FYI. I've had good luck with mine and easy to use, hope this helps!

https://www.campingworld.com/thetford-smarttote2-lx-4-wheel-portable-waste-tank-630090.html?cgid=black-water

sonofcy
05-30-2019, 08:29 AM
If I am boondocking there is nowhere to drag it to and it is way too heavy to lift into the back of the trump. If I am in a campground I have full hookups. Maybe there exists low end campgrounds without sewer connections but I would only stay for a day or two if that was the case. My black tank is 49 gal, I can't imagine trying to move a 'portable' tank over dirt and gravel roads of that size. And what if you get say a 30 gal blue boy and miscalculate when to transfer? Now you have sewage running all over your site.

JRTJH
05-30-2019, 03:47 PM
If I am boondocking there is nowhere to drag it to and it is way too heavy to lift into the back of the trump. If I am in a campground I have full hookups. Maybe there exists low end campgrounds without sewer connections but I would only stay for a day or two if that was the case. My black tank is 49 gal, I can't imagine trying to move a 'portable' tank over dirt and gravel roads of that size. And what if you get say a 30 gal blue boy and miscalculate when to transfer? Now you have sewage running all over your site.

All slide valves on black tanks work in two directions. Pull it open and as (if) the secondary tank fills, slide it closed, go dump and come back to repeat.

That's yet another reason to install the terminal gate valve at the fitting where the sewer hose connects. That way you've got a backup to the main sewer valve. Most portable tanks have a "fill indicator" or a "level gauge" to let the user know when that tank is nearing full. It's really difficult for an attentive person to put themselves in a situation where they would have "poo pouring" from an overfull portable tank.

While the above is not a totally failsafe system, it is difficult to spill sewage if you're paying attention.

That said, I have a portable tank and only use it for gray water transportation. If you've ever filled a portable tank with black contents, you already know how difficult it is to get the odor out of the portable tank. You'll know for weeks/months after dumping a black tank that the portable tank was used for that purpose..... YMMV

beeje
05-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Simple solution. Do as I have done on every RV I have owned. Install a valve in the water supply line to the toilet. You can turn it off or leave it only partially open preventing unnecessary water from being flushed. Do you really need to flush down a cup of pee with a quart of water ?. Turn it on full blast when needed, if you know what I mean. LOL. We can go 7-9 days fully self contained without adding any water of emptying any tanks.

ctbruce
05-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

sonofcy
05-30-2019, 05:30 PM
We have been full time for 20 months now and about month 18 had to have the roto rooter man come and auger out the toilet pipe. Unfortunately our pipe to the black tank is NOT a straight drop, it has two 45 degree bends. That is a HUGE problem if you use Costco TP and do not use at least a gallon of water twice each time you do #2. Doing the math tells me that two people have 12 bm's each at 2 G of water to fill the 49G tank. I do 12 bm's in 3 days my wife a little longer so we can last 4 to 5 days max. I only recently found out that some humans only go 2 or 3 times a WEEK!!!!! I got 2 or 3 done by my 2nd coffee. Not a problem for me, boondocking for 4 or 5 days is plenty.

sonofcy
05-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Simple solution. Do as I have done on every RV I have owned. Install a valve in the water supply line to the toilet. You can turn it off or leave it only partially open preventing unnecessary water from being flushed. Do you really need to flush down a cup of pee with a quart of water ?. Turn it on full blast when needed, if you know what I mean. LOL. We can go 7-9 days fully self contained without adding any water of emptying any tanks.

I am only on our 2nd trailer and they both have foot operated valves, so no need to install anything. I have never seen an RV with anything else but maybe they exist.

notanlines
05-31-2019, 02:12 AM
Beeje, there is more to a flush than just sending your 'cup of pee' down to never-never land. That water flowing from all surfaces is necessary to rinse the sides of the commode for 'obvious reasons.' We can all have an idea of how much water this may take, but the bowl definitely needs the rinse action.

JRTJH
05-31-2019, 08:32 AM
We have been full time for 20 months now and about month 18 had to have the roto rooter man come and auger out the toilet pipe. Unfortunately our pipe to the black tank is NOT a straight drop, it has two 45 degree bends. That is a HUGE problem if you use Costco TP and do not use at least a gallon of water twice each time you do #2. Doing the math tells me that two people have 12 bm's each at 2 G of water to fill the 49G tank. I do 12 bm's in 3 days my wife a little longer so we can last 4 to 5 days max. I only recently found out that some humans only go 2 or 3 times a WEEK!!!!! I got 2 or 3 done by my 2nd coffee. Not a problem for me, boondocking for 4 or 5 days is plenty.

I think your reasons for needing to "auger out the toilet pipe" are located above (in red). I don't know of any RV black tank protocol that calls for "toilet paper that doesn't break up readily in standing water".....

sonofcy
05-31-2019, 08:48 AM
I think your reasons for needing to "auger out the toilet pipe" are located above (in red). I don't know of any RV black tank protocol that calls for "toilet paper that doesn't break up readily in standing water".....

True enough. Our problem was exacerbated by the double 45 bend in the pipe. We are not new to camping, our old TT never had a problem but it also didn't have the double 45. The problem we had was caused by three things, TP that stuck to the down pipe walls, too little flush water and the wrong TP. I have a built in rinser but that doesn't rinse the down pipe. Because of using almost 2 gals of water each #2 our boondocking time will be reduced to 4 days now. My wife now knows to buy the special TP.