PDA

View Full Version : Insect Screens

cerbyg
05-21-2019, 06:59 AM
I know that screens are available to put over the furnace vent, hot water heater vent, stove vent, etc. but I was wondering if anyone has used simple door screen on the inside of those vents (where physically possible) to keep the wasps, etc. out of the vents.

Would that work or would that screen material block too much of the air flow?

Eastham
05-21-2019, 08:34 AM
With that fine wire mesh it would get plugged with dirt very quick. And block the air flow.It would probably block it without being dirty .

sourdough
05-21-2019, 09:31 AM
I would have to agree with the reply above. I ordered the covers made specifically for each of the components and installed them. Cost very little, easy to install and haven't had any issue since putting them on.

chuckster57
05-21-2019, 10:07 AM
The only screens we recommend are for the furnace. Putting screens on the refer access covers has been found to cut air flow and Dometic has advised us they would void a warranty claim if customer uses them.

Both Dometic and Norcold recommend flea collars. 2 in the lower refer area and 1 in the water heater front area

DocP
05-21-2019, 10:08 AM
I would have to agree with the reply above. I ordered the covers made specifically for each of the components and installed them. Cost very little, easy to install and haven't had any issue since putting them on.

Same here. It has always been the first thing I've installed when I buy a new camper. I've seen the damage done to appliances where the screens were not installed.

cerbyg
05-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Both Dometic and Norcold recommend flea collars. 2 in the lower refer area and 1 in the water heater front area

Do you literally mean a flea collar like a dog would wear? Do those repel wasps?

chuckster57
05-21-2019, 12:15 PM
I’m just relaying what both Dometic and Norcold reps told us. Furnace is the only appliance that would require disassembly if wasps took up residence.