PDA

View Full Version : Impact back up camera

Disneydogs
05-18-2019, 06:33 PM
We are picking up our 2020 (yes we ordered a 2019 and by the time it was here it is a 2020) impact 311. We asked the dealer to install a backup camera but made them aware of the “awning” interference. Well this is is one of the only keystone trailers that is not wired for a camera. When we pointed out the issues they had no suggestions other than a license plate camera. Has anyone else found a solution.

Thanks we can’t wait to get it loaded and camping.

Kim

JRTJH
05-18-2019, 07:21 PM
It appears that there are two LED floodlights already mounted under the awning. If there is room for them, surely there is room for a camera.

Disneydad
05-18-2019, 08:24 PM
The problem seems to be the antenna. If you put it under the awning the antenna will get damaged and above the awning blocks the cameras view

86GT2r
05-19-2019, 06:50 AM
I am interested in a solution also.

MN-Clark
05-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Our 2018 Carbon 357 5th wheel toy hauler has the factory patio / ramp with awing, 2 led patio lights and a WiFi backup camera. Nothing interferes with anything else.

Can't get a photo edited small enough to upload. Maybe try later if anyone wants it.

Disneydogs
05-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Could you tell what back up camera you are using?

Thanks
Kim

MN-Clark
05-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Could you tell what back up camera you are using?

Thanks
KimFurioun. Is that spelled right? Don't have the model at my finger tips but it's not the high, or low one. I have the view screen below the middle rear view mirror in the cab of the truck and leave it on all the time while on the road.

Looks like this one -

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-729125-Vision-Vehicle-Observation/dp/B07D92456Q/?tag=smartrvingnet-20

Greggde
05-23-2019, 10:20 AM
We have a brand new 2020 373 fusion with every option available from factory and the furrion visions 7" camera is not getting power to the camera when mounted to trailer, works wonderfully attached to monitor in cab of super duty
does anyone know where they typically pull 12 volt power from on rear of trailer? Factory, dealer, and furrion have not been able to provide an answer?
Any ideas. Another quick note they (factory) mounted in such a fashion that antennae is partially obscured by rear thule box awning. Camera reception may be impaired when i finally get power to it.

MarkEHansen
05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Usually the camera is powered from the running lights. Did you plug your trailer into your truck and turn on your truck's running lights? Are the running lights on your trailer illuminated?

Otherwise, it could be powered from anywhere - including a line from inside the coach. Perhaps check for blown fuses, etc.

Finally, it could just be that the power wire has come loose up inside the body of the trailer. You can try to fix it yourself or let the dealer do it under warranty.

Greggde
05-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Thanks Mark , I have done all of these things twice to no avail , contacted selling dealer without results , two local warranty dealers who informed me of a 2 to 3 month wait because I purchased elsewhere , Keystone twice and Furrion twice . No one seems to know how this $600.00 camera was installed . Incidentally I pulled and tested every one of the fuse,s as well . Kind of gives a fella a warm fuzzy spot in his heart for the RV industry ! Thank you �� again for quick response Mark
Gregg

MarkEHansen
05-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Well, if a repair shop is not in the cards, you can get in behind the mount for the camera and trace where the wires go. They likely go (or should go) to the nearest marker light. If you take that loose as well, you may be able to pull the wires out one way or the other and discover and correct the issue.

Oh, one other thing is it's possible the camera power cable is wired backward, so you might get a volt meter and check it out - just to be sure.

Good luck.

Greggde
05-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Mark ,
That is my game plan for our new Fusion along with 1,000 watts of Solar , other than these projects We are quite pleased with our latest but first 5th wheel . We have had numerous different RV’s all of which I have nurtured and babied to no end . I will get this camera issue sorted out in due time just a little disappointed that an industry has so much imperfect leeway . Thanks again Mark
Gregg

86GT2r
05-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Our 2018 Carbon 357 5th wheel toy hauler has the factory patio / ramp with awing, 2 led patio lights and a WiFi backup camera. Nothing interferes with anything else.

Can't get a photo edited small enough to upload. Maybe try later if anyone wants it.

I would appreciate a picture of where your camera is mounted.
TIA

MN-Clark
05-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Let's try these. Camera was pointed towards the Sun.

There is an awning on mine and the camera is below it. The antenna looks like it could get on the way of the awning but it doesn't get moved around.

MN-Clark
05-25-2019, 11:33 AM
As for the power to the camera, mine is on a separate switch located on the curb side cabinet bottom in the garage. Where the light and bed switches are located. It's not labeled though. The camera has a blue led indicator light on it

86GT2r
05-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I was not expecting the camera to be below the awning due to the antenna.

Alaskaman
05-28-2019, 05:27 PM
My Carbon's camera is set up the same as Clark's, under the awning. I don't know what it's wired to but the cam is on all the time, which seems to be the standard on many Keystone TH's.

The antenna is close but the awning doesn't interfere with it, this is also a Furrion camera.

86GT2r
05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the pictures.
Anybody know how difficult it would be to get power from the clearance light to the camera if mounting under the awning? Does this lower mounting position reduce the picture clarity due to signal loss from the camera to the view screen?

captjimmy
05-30-2019, 07:25 AM
We have a 2018 426TS Raptor. Our camera is mounted in the same spot and we have not had any issues with it. I bought a separate antenna that is mounted on the roof and that has a 6' wire that attaches where the stock antenna goes. As far as for the camera, our main power switch has to be on for the camera to work. It's an observation camera, not just a back-up camera. Great to have it wired this way so that you can see what's behind you as you're traveling.

Namvet
05-30-2019, 07:30 AM
I placed my camera to the side of the clearance light above the awning so antenna extends above the roof line, works very well at that location, comes on with clearance lights, but I run my lights all the time anyway.

Ccsluke
05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
We had a b/u camera installed on our Impact 361 toy hauler. It fit well between the two marker lights just below the awning. Had ours installed at Hi Fi Cruising in Hattiesburg, MS. Our T/V is a F350 with Sync display. They (Hi Fi) we’re able to install a unnoticeable switch to swap between the truck tailgate and the RV camera. Initially, it only operated while backing. I subsequently went back and had them install a module that lets me swap the sync display to the RV camera while driving. Absolutely recommend this setup!

42FOUNTAIN
06-01-2019, 03:58 PM
357 Fuzion camera above awning. Have to have trailer running lights on to power up from factory wiring hole.
Furrion camera. Going under tunnels Cheasepeake Bay , we loose connection. Due to tight head height.

diamondskier
07-23-2019, 11:46 AM
We have a 2018 426TS Raptor. Our camera is mounted in the same spot and we have not had any issues with it. I bought a separate antenna that is mounted on the roof and that has a 6' wire that attaches where the stock antenna goes. As far as for the camera, our main power switch has to be on for the camera to work. It's an observation camera, not just a back-up camera. Great to have it wired this way so that you can see what's behind you as you're traveling.We are wanting to do the same with our 417 Fuzion. Where did you get the 6ft cable and coax connector? I've been looking and Furrion customer service has not been overly helpful.