PDA

View Full Version : Question on suspension mounting bolts

GMcKenzie
05-11-2019, 04:25 PM
I decided against a wet bolt kit and am putting in Never Fail bushings.

My only issue is how the crap do you get the bolts back in where the springs mount to the frame? I can't for the life of me get them lines up straight enough that the collar goes the the hole on the other side. I've got one of 4 I'm happy with.

Is there a decent trick to this? The threads come through but the collar just buts up against the hanger and won't go through.

Not sure if I'm explaining my issue clearly. I have no problem with the equalizer ends.

Sulphur1
05-12-2019, 02:55 AM
Not quite sure about your question. There should be no force on the suspension / spring so have 5er jacked up with wheels off & axle removed from spring plate. You can now locate hanger bolt with spring hanger & slide it through with bushing in position until the straight knurled section on the collar is reached. If the bolt is being re-installed it can be aligned with the groove in the bushing. I just use a big G clamp on bolt the head with a long socket on the foot side and screw it in until the bolt head is seated. Remove & fit nut. Hope this helps

cookinwitdiesel
05-12-2019, 05:07 AM
If you do not mind, why did you shy away from wet bolts? That was one of my planned upgrade on new trailer once I sell the current one.

Thanks!

GMcKenzie
05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Not quite sure about your question. There should be no force on the suspension / spring so have 5er jacked up with wheels off & axle removed from spring plate. You can now locate hanger bolt with spring hanger & slide it through with bushing in position until the straight knurled section on the collar is reached. If the bolt is being re-installed it can be aligned with the groove in the bushing. I just use a big G clamp on bolt the head with a long socket on the foot side and screw it in until the bolt head is seated. Remove & fit nut. Hope this helps

I've got all 4 wheels off, with one side connected (not 100% happy and will re-do) and jacks under the axles. It seems to put enough pressure on the axles that I can't move the opposite side.

Which has me thinking get rid of the jack under the axles and just support the frame.

GMcKenzie
05-12-2019, 07:00 AM
If you do not mind, why did you shy away from wet bolts? That was one of my planned upgrade on new trailer once I sell the current one.

Thanks!

I pulled one side apart before making the call. My plastic bushing looked in good shape for 9 years of wear, so I just went with the cheaper option. The brass bushings looked near new, but I did decide to swap them.

I won't be keeping this trailer forever and these will do me fine for a few more years.

chuckster57
05-12-2019, 07:01 AM
We use a 2X4 across the bottom of the axles and a floor jack. It allows us to maneuver the entire assembly as needed.