PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Outback 328RL

penra
05-10-2019, 04:39 PM
We moved out of our house to the trailer so we could be away while it sold. Went to the RV show in February and walked into the 328RL first, I loved it but noted "no counter space". Two weeks later after visiting the dealership and looking at several models we put a down on the 328RL. Had it delivered to our resort lot and have been in it since late March.
Loving the rig except for a few things we neglected to check out. One; the furnace is loud, too loud for me to sleep at night if it's on and the trailer got very cold at night. It's warmer weather now so we are ok but wish we had got a rig with dual pane windows and more insulation. We plan to go south in the winter, we are in Washington state, so I do worry that the heat will be a similar issue with not enough insulation. We will see. Otherwise the trailer is nice, pretty comfortable other than some bruises and bumps from such tight quarters. I still wish we had more counter space but we are learning to make do and simplify meals.
When the house sells we will get a GMC 2500HD to pull it around.
I've been reading this forum for a while for tips and tricks, really good advice and ideas, thanks!

Logan X
05-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the forum from California. Congratulations on your new trailer!

5J's
05-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Congrats on the new 5er. Welcome to the forum from SE Texas.

KeithInUpstateNY
05-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

One thing that helps mask the furnace noise at night is a white noise generator. I have an app on my phone that I keep plugged in next to the bed with different rain sounds etc, but even a fan helps.

sourdough
05-10-2019, 06:16 PM
We moved out of our house to the trailer so we could be away while it sold. Went to the RV show in February and walked into the 328RL first, I loved it but noted "no counter space". Two weeks later after visiting the dealership and looking at several models we put a down on the 328RL. Had it delivered to our resort lot and have been in it since late March.
Loving the rig except for a few things we neglected to check out. One; the furnace is loud, too loud for me to sleep at night if it's on and the trailer got very cold at night. It's warmer weather now so we are ok but wish we had got a rig with dual pane windows and more insulation. We plan to go south in the winter, we are in Washington state, so I do worry that the heat will be a similar issue with not enough insulation. We will see. Otherwise the trailer is nice, pretty comfortable other than some bruises and bumps from such tight quarters. I still wish we had more counter space but we are learning to make do and simplify meals.
When the house sells we will get a GMC 2500HD to pull it around.
I've been reading this forum for a while for tips and tricks, really good advice and ideas, thanks!

You may be setting your sights too high.:) Double pane windows and the "arctic insulation" packages aren't going to make the RV like a S&B house. They are drafty and cold in the winter and hot in the summer - it's the nature of the beast.

I would suggest learning to "love" the sound of the furnace running in winter - if you like cold weather, or "love" the sound of the AC (or 2) running full tilt 24 hours a day if you like "hot" weather. It will make life a lot easier.

I used to really like "quiet" nights camping in a tent in the middle of nowhere and it was great. Those places have almost disappeared and I've found if it isn't completely quiet I can't sleep - light sleeper. So, in the S&B I sleep with 3 fans surrounding my bed for the noise so I don't hear anything to keep me awake. In the RV I have a nice fan on the top of the chest of drawers blowing at me and the AC sound is music to my ears; turn on the bedroom AC and DW and I are in "zombie" land.

The noise factor used to worry me about security and my ability to hear "intruders". S&B has full blown security with "lights, action, camera" - plus puppy and the trailer has puppy and daddy.

In my experience being "comfortable" in an RV in cold or hot weather requires noise - AC, furnace, generator etc.

cookinwitdiesel
05-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Nice trailer! I would suggest going full 3500 on the truck when you buy, with that trailer you will be near limits on a 2500 (Assuming you go with a Diesel). For example, the truck in my sig, has only 2214# of payload. The price and ride will be pretty comparable but you will get a lot more payload.

penra
05-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I've been considering 3500HD also.

Cascadia
11-19-2020, 11:20 AM
We bought a 2020 328rl and live in it also! We've been in it a bit over a year now and also "notice" that the furnace is loud. We live on the coast so although it gets cold at night, IF we need heat we use the electric fireplace heater and it works well. When we get snow in December, it doesn't last long. We've both lived in snow country and at this point, we aren't missing it! I have a couple of complaints. The awning over the door...I guess I should say KINDA over the door. When it rains and the awning is out even a foot or 2, it drains right over where the door opens. Who thought that was a good idea? The clicker for lighting the oven and burners has quit working. I'll be calling our extended warranty folks to fix that. Then there are the refrigerators...Love them but the seals around the freezer compartments don't seal well and iced accumulates on the top of the freezer and door where they meet...will need that fixed too. I have to defrost them more than I'd like to! We love the open space and the windows...we live on a lake, alone, as caretakers and love it. We upgraded our TV to a Samsung smart TV and are waiting for our new Plushbeds mattress to be delivered. We had our queen bed on the king platform and decided to go all out on a bed. We don't use a microwave so we removed it and gained space to put my Kitchenaid mixer and our "bar". We really love this trailer and will love it more once we get our kitchen fixed...it's a happy home in a lovely spot. No regrets buying it, at all!

travelin texans
11-19-2020, 01:21 PM
We bought a 2020 328rl and live in it also! We've been in it a bit over a year now and also "notice" that the furnace is loud. We live on the coast so although it gets cold at night, IF we need heat we use the electric fireplace heater and it works well. When we get snow in December, it doesn't last long. We've both lived in snow country and at this point, we aren't missing it! I have a couple of complaints. The awning over the door...I guess I should say KINDA over the door. When it rains and the awning is out even a foot or 2, it drains right over where the door opens. Who thought that was a good idea? The clicker for lighting the oven and burners has quit working. I'll be calling our extended warranty folks to fix that. Then there are the refrigerators...Love them but the seals around the freezer compartments don't seal well and iced accumulates on the top of the freezer and door where they meet...will need that fixed too. I have to defrost them more than I'd like to! We love the open space and the windows...we live on a lake, alone, as caretakers and love it. We upgraded our TV to a Samsung smart TV and are waiting for our new Plushbeds mattress to be delivered. We had our queen bed on the king platform and decided to go all out on a bed. We don't use a microwave so we removed it and gained space to put my Kitchenaid mixer and our "bar". We really love this trailer and will love it more once we get our kitchen fixed...it's a happy home in a lovely spot. No regrets buying it, at all!

Tilt your awning to the opposite end! It doesn't have to be perfectly level. On most you can tilt to one side or the other in small increments & still roll it up without changing the tilt.

jsb5717
11-19-2020, 01:54 PM
1. the furnace is loud, too loud for me to sleep at night

1. We've been in it a bit over a year now and also "notice" that the furnace is loud.
2. The awning over the door...I guess I should say KINDA over the door.
3. We had our queen bed on the king platform and decided to go all out on a bed.

1. All RV furnaces are loud. It's just part of the experience that you have to get used to. The only variable I've found is where the furnace is placed in the RV. Some placements mask the inside sound better than others. Danny's right, just accept it and you'll adapt.

2. Agreed. Door and slideout placement is the limiter for sure but still, a dry doorway would be helpful

3. Our 5er came with the king bed. I just unscrewed the plywood platform, took it outside and cut the width down to 58". Our queen mattress fits great.

Gary R.
11-19-2020, 03:19 PM
Hello and welcome!

Congrats on the new 5er!

I will also suggest you consider a 3500 truck, the cost is not much more than the 2500, but the towing experience will be more pleasurable and safer!

Take care!

spicercars
11-20-2020, 04:44 AM
Welcome from northern MN.