PDA

View Full Version : Toilet loosing water from bowl

Campy
05-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Every year I have to replace the seal for the ball valve in out ceramic toilet. I think they are drying out over the winter storage. What can be done to stop this? I tried going into storage every month and put water in the bowl to keep the seal wet but this did not help.

Vet4jdc
05-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Use plumber's O-ring lube to lubricate the rubber seal.

Logan X
05-10-2019, 04:27 PM
It doesn’t sound like this is your problem, but I was also having an issue keeping water in the bowl. In my case, the seal wasn’t seated all of the way. I just gloved up and used firm pressure pressing all around the seal. I felt it click into place and now it holds water like a champ.

tacoma238ml
05-10-2019, 04:56 PM
I use fabric softner it also it also lubes the tank valves

Campy
05-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Use plumber's O-ring lube to lubricate the rubber seal.

Got a couple of new seals and this is a really good idea! Thanks, I'll pick some up...

travelin texans
05-30-2019, 11:59 AM
If it's a Thetford toilet your best option is to take out & use it for target practice & replace it with a Dometic 310 or 320.
If it's a Dometic I totally agree to use plumbers grease occasionally on the seal especially before storage.

kksfish
05-31-2019, 04:31 AM
Between trips and during storage I simply pour a few ounces of mineral oil into the bowl and let it sit, it keeps the ring lubricated and works great.
I get the oil at Walmart....

jsmith948
05-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil:hide:

foldbak
05-31-2019, 05:20 AM
Mine hasn't held water from day one. At least not for long periods of time. Is is suppose to?

Logan X
05-31-2019, 05:22 AM
Mine hasn't held water from day one. At least not for long periods of time. Is is suppose to?

Yes, and I had the same problem. I gloved up and pressed down firmly all around the seal. I heard and felt it click into place, it wasn’t all the way seated. Now it holds water like a champ.

JRTJH
05-31-2019, 07:51 AM
Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil:hide:

Omit the vinegar to prevent hunger pangs.......

Joking aside, there is a procedure in the Dometic toilet owner's manual to "seat and mold" the toilet ball seal. The "MOLD" part is critical for leaking toilets. You do it by emptying the bowl, using fingers to assure the ring is properly seated, close the ball valve (spring compression) and pouring a pot of extremely hot water into the toilet and allowing it to sit. The hot water "softens" the toilet ring, allowing it to conform to the toilet ball and usually prevents leaks.... Then the EVO/vinegar treatment finishes the process.....

Read the owner's manual, it's all there in plain English, easy to read and a snap to accomplish.

Dadwoolery
06-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Had this problem last week while on the road. Pulled the seal and coated with Vaseline and put it back in. Seals great now.