PDA

View Full Version : Front Storage Door

rayden123
05-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Hello
Noob to the RVing so please bare with me.
Just purchased a 2008 Keystone Laredo 5th Wheel Mod 30BH
with Glacier Package.
Bad luck right from the start,picked up the camper yesterday
and on the way home the tailgate on my truck opened
unbeknownst to me, I guess when I made a turn the corner of the tailgate
mashed into the front storage door and totally destroyed it,tore out
the door and frame.
Question is can I get a replacement frame and door?
I hope this is not a sign of bad luck with this RV.

boxcar
05-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Just part of being new. I went from a trailer to my 5r and did the same in the first few months. Later it's the tailgate you'll take out when you forget you have it up after disconnecting :facepalm:

You should be able to order a door with frame. Mine was going to cost $550 and I really didn't like how flimsy the front door was so I had it replaced with a custom made diamondplate polished aluminum door.

sourdough
05-10-2019, 11:30 AM
I don't have a 5th wheel but I've seen lots of damage caused by "them" - which is usually oversight on the owner's part. My friend is on his 2nd season with his new 5th after having class As. He was unhitching and I went over to help because he was having an issue unlatching. He then lubed the hitch and did some other things and shut the tailgate. I was visiting and looked around and he had gotten in the truck to just pull it away from the trailer - but his tailgate was up and the pin on the trailer was about 6" and closing on the top of the tailgate. I started hollering along with his wife who saw the situation as well. He stopped about an inch from the tailgate. If we hadn't been there it would have been another one of those "bowed" tailgates you see from time to time.

All that to say that I don't think it is a "sign of bad luck with that RV", it's just getting familiar with it and the processes involved. The more you use it the more familiar you will get.....just remember to CLOSE that tailgate and keep an eye on it in the rear view mirror!!:)

hornet28
05-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Another way to save your trucks tailgate would be to buy one of the cutout 5th wheel tailgates

5J's
05-10-2019, 03:18 PM
If you trailer enough with a 5th wheel or gooseneck you'll eventually damage the gate or trailer. Get in a routine and don't get distracted. I've had folks want to "help" me either hitching or unhitching on many occasions. When that happens I always go back through the whole process again and usually find something I forgot to do because I got distracted. Take your time and double or triple check.

Sulphur1
05-12-2019, 02:38 AM
The tailgate on our Chev 2500HD has come unhitched & dropped down a number of times so have installed a simple gate sliding bolt latch to ensure it stays up. I'll probably close the tailgate with the bolt out one day but a lot less damage than turning with tailgate down & the 5er connected.

rayden123
05-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Hello
Thanks for all the replies.
I'll be keeping an eye on my tailgate at all times.
I will be making my own custom door as advised.