PDA

View Full Version : So many opinions on TT tires! Trailer King

racetech
05-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Man there are a lot of opinions on tires here, its all very mind numbing. The Trailer King tires my trailer came with are 5 years old and showing signs of dry rot. Obviously I want to replace them. I have load range C on it, and was considering going with load range D but do not see a need. My trailer is around 4K loaded, load range C is fine. Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price. I think tires are a to each their own kinda thing. Proper inflation and load rating for your weight are key in making them last. I dont wish to spend $100 a tire for the little amount of travel I actually do. I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions. Ill start by saying my trailer king tires lasted 5 years with no issues. The Carlisle tires I had on my pop up also lasted about 5 years with no issues.

racetech
05-08-2019, 06:03 AM
On second though maybe Ill pay a few more bucks and get Carlisle at least. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Carlisle? I've always had good results with them.

notanlines
05-08-2019, 06:16 AM
Tom, can I be blunt? Your statements " Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price" and "I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions" boggle the mind. If you like I can post the pictures here of $9,000 damage to our Raptor thanks to two, yes TWO simultaneous blowouts by your longtime favorites, Trailer King. How old were they? Less than one year. Proper care? Of course, 80 PSI AND a new TPMS.
If you like I can give you a review of our travel to Tire Kingdom to have new Sailuns installed with steel valve stems. The Sailuns never lost even one pound of air in the three years after when we sold the RV. Carlisle simply is your best bet, or Maxxis if they offer them in your size.
Okay, I'm climbing down from the soapbox...:eek:

racetech
05-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Hey Jim, maybe my statements were in hopes that I could elicit a response in regards to tires, and it seems to of worked lol. I can appreciate the fact that you have been there done that and can give me a real world failure regarding Trailer King. I will consider myself lucky to have had mine last 5 years. I am leaning toward Carlisle, as I have familiarity with them also. But I am also not done researching. I will look into Maxxis brand also.

sourdough
05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Man there are a lot of opinions on tires here, its all very mind numbing. The Trailer King tires my trailer came with are 5 years old and showing signs of dry rot. Obviously I want to replace them. I have load range C on it, and was considering going with load range D but do not see a need. My trailer is around 4K loaded, load range C is fine. Also thinking of ordering Trailer King as they performed well and are a good price. I think tires are a to each their own kinda thing. Proper inflation and load rating for your weight are key in making them last. I dont wish to spend $100 a tire for the little amount of travel I actually do. I wish there were more reviews of tires here rather then opinions. Ill start by saying my trailer king tires lasted 5 years with no issues. The Carlisle tires I had on my pop up also lasted about 5 years with no issues.

I think you may have your priorities reversed.:) Tire reviews, and I've read hundreds (conservatively) are in reality pretty much useless IMO. They are one persons' "opinion" of a given new tire in a controlled environment and how it performs, again, in their "opinion". Do they give specs? Sure; the same ones you can get from any manufacturer website. Do some give the construction criteria? Yes, but again, you can generally find that on the manufacturer website.

The "opinions" you reference are those from folks with years of "experience" dealing with tires A/B. Far more valuable IMO than the opinion of a reviewer that had said A/B tire in his hands for 3-4 days. And yes, I also had my $7k experience with the Trailer Kings although maintained meticulously and TPMS. My Carlisle Radial HDs have performed flawlessly since then.

Just some additional "input" on those tire "opinions" for your consideration.:D

racetech
05-08-2019, 06:54 AM
I think you may have your priorities reversed.:) Tire reviews, and I've read hundreds (conservatively) are in reality pretty much useless IMO. They are one persons' "opinion" of a given new tire in a controlled environment and how it performs, again, in their "opinion". Do they give specs? Sure; the same ones you can get from any manufacturer website. Do some give the construction criteria? Yes, but again, you can generally find that on the manufacturer website.

The "opinions" you reference are those from folks with years of "experience" dealing with tires A/B. Far more valuable IMO than the opinion of a reviewer that had said A/B tire in his hands for 3-4 days. And yes, I also had my $7k experience with the Trailer Kings although maintained meticulously and TPMS. My Carlisle Radial HDs have performed flawlessly since then.

Just some additional "input" on those tire "opinions" for your consideration.:D

Im considering the Radial HD was pricing them as we speak. Nice to see a endorsement for them. Id be going from a load C to a D with them but other then being a little heavier im not worried about it. Unless they come in load range C maybe im thinking of another HD tire I saw

sourdough
05-08-2019, 06:58 AM
If you go up in load range make sure your wheels are rated for the higher pressure of the new tires. There is currently a conversation about that in a different thread.

racetech
05-08-2019, 07:03 AM
If you go up in load range make sure your wheels are rated for the higher pressure of the new tires. There is currently a conversation about that in a different thread.

Thanks, I found them in my current load range of C. I saw an HD tire that was a D so I was mistaken.

Ken / Claudia
05-08-2019, 07:30 AM
It's all about opinions, we are lucky in the sense we have fairly light RVs compared to many. I did not have any problems with trailer kings on my current RV, but they are not top line tires. They are tires purchased because they are the cheapest to the buyer; in this case Keystone.
Look around at tire shops, I would have purchased trailer kings for about 120 also, but my local auto repair shop ordered and installed carlisle in load D for 92 bucks each. If I keep with C those were around 10 bucks less.
The tires will still be replaced at around 5 years and I have a heavier rated tire. I do pull the trailer on dirt/gravel roads along with freeway speeds. I want more tire not less.
If you drive normal speeds always have max. psi and do not abuse trailer kings you may again be happy. Don't judge a or any product by only your use. Look at the big picture. The big picture does show many tire failures with trailer kings. At least 1 on here had blow outs with carlisles.
For me it is silly to try to save a few bucks on tires. What ever tires you buy spend money on TPMS. That can save you thousands no matter what tires you buy. Remember the spare needs replaced and even if it was never been on the road. It is still rotten.

JRTJH
05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Hey Jim, maybe my statements were in hopes that I could elicit a response in regards to tires, and it seems to of worked lol. I can appreciate the fact that you have been there done that and can give me a real world failure regarding Trailer King. I will consider myself lucky to have had mine last 5 years. I am leaning toward Carlisle, as I have familiarity with them also. But I am also not done researching. I will look into Maxxis brand also.

You can get the information you're looking for by taking a sheet of paper and using the old "4 lines with a diagonal" to count by fives. Read posts here and each positive about a "brand of tire" goes on the right side of your page, each negative post goes on the left side of your page (separated by brand, of course). Then you'll get the "true version of personal experiences with each brand"

Using "shorthand" I can pretty much tell you that you'll get the majority of "positive experiences" with Maxxis, Carlisle, Sailun (not available in your size) and now add Endurance.

As for negatives, TowMax, PowerKing both lead the list of "My tire blew and destroyed, followed closely by Goodyear Marathon....."

So, the "long term experiences on this forum" would lead you AWAY from TowMax or PowerKing. BTW: they are the same tires, sort of like Goodyear and Endurance.

Number 4
05-08-2019, 09:35 AM
After checking with this group as you are doing, I bought Carlisle tires from www.walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/) at a good price with free delivery. The following Saturday I towed the trailer to a nearby tire shop where they mounted and balanced all four for sixty bucks. I'm assuming that bypassed dealer or trailer service center markup on the tires. Extra bonus... all tires had recent "born on" dates.

cookinwitdiesel
05-08-2019, 10:03 AM
The main challenge is balancing trailer wheels with ST tires - TireRack field guys wont have a clue or the right equipment how to do this on the truck.

Northofu1
05-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Hi Race,
I am a newbie with one year experience. When I read posts in this forum about china bombs and opinions people had about trailer kings i was confused. I know tires have shelf lives, I know about issues with tires in regards to wear. When I looked at my tires on my trailer they looked good, spare looked brand new. When I had them replaced the guy asked what I wanted done with them I told him to trash them, he was puzzled, "are you sure?"

I have read a lot of the older far more experienced members talk about their experiences with tires and what their preferred brands are. It came down to Sailun or Carlisle to me, I chose the Carlisle's as they were easiest to find. Because I have a trailer that is on the cusp of the towing ability of my truck I took no chances and went up to a LRD tire. I didn't overthink it, I trusted their judgement based on experience. I joined seeking advice. Why wouldn't I take it?
Enough yammering from me. :lol:
Good luck finding the tires that give you peace of mind when travelling.

racetech
05-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Hi Race,
I am a newbie with one year experience. When I read posts in this forum about china bombs and opinions people had about trailer kings i was confused. I know tires have shelf lives, I know about issues with tires in regards to wear. When I looked at my tires on my trailer they looked good, spare looked brand new. When I had them replaced the guy asked what I wanted done with them I told him to trash them, he was puzzled, "are you sure?"

I have read a lot of the older far more experienced members talk about their experiences with tires and what their preferred brands are. It came down to Sailun or Carlisle to me, I chose the Carlisle's as they were easiest to find. Because I have a trailer that is on the cusp of the towing ability of my truck I took no chances and went up to a LRD tire. I didn't overthink it, I trusted their judgement based on experience. I joined seeking advice. Why wouldn't I take it?
Enough yammering from me. :lol:
Good luck finding the tires that give you peace of mind when travelling.

Thanks I appreciate your insight. I ordered Carlisle Trail Radial HD tires earlier today should have them Monday. I trust the Carlisle brand, and after doing some reading i feel fortunate to of not had any issues with the Trailer Kings although I havent had the trailer long, they were original I believe as they were manufactured in 15 and the trailer is a 16.

busterbrown
05-08-2019, 11:12 PM
The main challenge is balancing trailer wheels with ST tires - TireRack field guys wont have a clue or the right equipment how to do this on the truck.

Yep. A majority of the national tire chains don't have the lug balancer plate adapters. So, they balance on the hub cone and call it a day. Trailer wheels are lug centric by design. Took me a citywide search to find one place that had the adapter.

Gegrad
05-09-2019, 04:44 AM
Hi Race,

Not to deride you, as I completely understand upgrading tires right away, but why didn't you take Trailer Kings and resell them? When I upgraded my wheels and tires to go up a load rating and drop the Trailer Kings I sold the set of wheels and tires for $300 to someone who needed them for a utility trailer and a) wasn't carrying nearly as much weight, and b) didn't care about the brand because even a blowout won't hurt much on metal utility trailer. Just trashing them seems like throwing away good money on reselling the old ones.

Northofu1
05-09-2019, 05:02 AM
Not to deride you, as I completely understand upgrading tires right away, but why didn't you take Trailer Kings and resell them? When I upgraded my wheels and tires to go up a load rating and drop the Trailer Kings I sold the set of wheels and tires for $300 to someone who needed them for a utility trailer and a) wasn't carrying nearly as much weight, and b) didn't care about the brand because even a blowout won't hurt much on metal utility trailer. Just trashing them seems like throwing away good money on reselling the old ones.

I hear you. For two reasons.
1) I don't have the time to resell a set of tires. I have tried reselling items in the past and it's time consuming.
2) They were very near their sell by date, I could not have conscionably sold those tires. It's how I roll. :)

Logan X
05-09-2019, 06:07 AM
I hear you. For two reasons.
1) I don't have the time to resell a set of tires. I have tried reselling items in the past and it's time consuming.
2) They were very near their sell by date, I could not have conscionably sold those tires. It's how I roll. :)
...it’s how I roll. Priceless!

Bullet Boy
05-09-2019, 07:59 AM

It pays to do some research on your tires, it’s a low level investment that could potentially save you thousands.... I found Carlisle radial trail 205/75 R14 for $56 each at Walmart,,,, this was after I bought some St Max tires. I’m not doing much towing this season so my China bombs will not see many miles and in the Spring I will be putting Carlisle on my rig. Make sure to check the date stamp when you buy from a Walmart or big box store. Good luck and this forum has tought me quite a bit in a short while.

racetech
05-09-2019, 08:22 AM
It pays to do some research on your tires, it’s a low level investment that could potentially save you thousands.... I found Carlisle radial trail 205/75 R14 for $56 each at Walmart,,,, this was after I bought some St Max tires. I’m not doing much towing this season so my China bombs will not see many miles and in the Spring I will be putting Carlisle on my rig. Make sure to check the date stamp when you buy from a Walmart or big box store. Good luck and this forum has tought me quite a bit in a short while.

When was this? I checked walmart and that same size carlisle was over $80. I ordered them for $73 each elsewhere.

Bullet Boy
05-09-2019, 08:50 AM
A few weeks ago. Not online, each store actually carries different tires. My local Wally World didn’t have them, but one a few miles down the road did. Even the guy at the tire center in Walmart said one day they carry and can get x and next day it’s y.... I’ve they have, grab em!!!!

itat
05-09-2019, 10:06 AM

I agree with this statement.

I'm not a proponent of the "China Bomb" moniker. I think that the lightweight RV manufacturers have long installed tires with insufficient load ratings. In September 2017, the RVIA mandated that its member manufacturers install tires to provide a 110% safety factor. That is, the 2 tires installed on the axles have to be rated to handle 110% of the axle's weight rating. On my particular 5er, that resulted in the manufacturer changing from LR D tires to LR E tires. I'm hopeful that that change will result in fewer tire failures, but owners will continue to overload their trailers and under-inflate their tires causing premature failures.

I'm absolutely not saying there are no bad Chinese-made tires - I'm sure there are - but the country of manufacture isn't a guarantee of the level of quality (good or poor). Selecting a poorer quality tire combined with an improperly spec'd tire (insufficient load rating) IS a recipe for failure.

IMO, the first thing everyone should do is weigh their trailer and assess whether or not the installed tires have a sufficient load rating safety factor.

Now, the OP has 5 year old tires so they should to be replaced due to age. The most popular 15" tires on the RV forums are the Goodyear Endurance, the Maxxis M8008 and the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. The Maxxis and Carlisle have been around for quite a while and have a good reputation. The Goodyear has been available for about 2 years now and I haven't heard any negatives about them so I'd be less hesitant to buy a set now. Plus they are probably the easiest to source locally.

Northofu1
05-09-2019, 11:59 AM
...it’s how I roll. Priceless!

It helps that I'm round :lol:

Logan X
05-09-2019, 12:40 PM
It helps that I'm round :lol:

Haha. I thought you meant the tires rolling.

sugarhillctd
05-16-2019, 09:16 AM

That's what I did- I sold the 4 Trailer King tires (3 years old) to a guy who wanted them for his boat trailer. He traveled 2 hours to pick them up and handed me $100. DONE. He was happy to get them and just uses the trailer 2x per year.

I did pay about $100 each for the 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires but I mount and balance my own tires so no additional costs.

By the way there were no balance weights on the trailer wheels when I took the TK tires off, so they weren't balanced at all.

Tatanka Ob Waci
05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
We run Synergy 14 ply tires on our Raptor 384PK. I'm pleased with them so far. We have about 10K miles on them.

JRTJH
05-16-2019, 03:03 PM
By the way there were no balance weights on the trailer wheels when I took the TK tires off, so they weren't balanced at all.

If you bought the trailer new, I've never known any RV dealer who spent the time or money to balance RV tires an any trailer. Most subcontract tire service and don't even have the equipment to balance tires, even if the customer asks for it.

Keystone ships them without balancing and with only a "eyeball alignment". They use a jig to install the axles with the chassis inverted at the first station on the assembly line, then turn it over on a dolly which is used to move the trailer down the line to each of the stations. Once it's at the end, they jack the trailer, remove the dolly and tow it outside with a tug.

I've never seen any towable RV with balance weights on the wheels on delivery to the dealer's lot and can't remember ever seeing one with balanced wheels on delivery to the customer.

srvnt
05-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Over 20,000 miles on my Goodyear endurance tires 205-75-14 load range D on hard, soft, hot, cold, wet, dry, mountains and not a single problem. I have towed trailers for about 30 years and I could tell the difference right away. Bought them when they first came out partly because the are made in the USA, and it’s true, nobody can compete with our quality.