PDA

View Full Version : Husky Spring bars question.

linux3
05-07-2019, 10:55 AM
When I bought our TT the dealer installed a Husky Centerline TS WDH.
After a trip or 2 I totally reset the hitch based on a work sheet from Husky.
I never saw a label for the weight rating of the spring bars and frankly didn't give it a thought. I was under the impression that the round bar came in 600 lbs rating and up.

While spring cleaning I found the rating for my bars 400 - 600 lbs stamped into the flats of the round bars.

Dry weight of my TT was listed at 3750 lbs +- and one time when leaving for a month long trip I stopped at a local metal scrap yard and had the TT weighed, ~4500 lbs.

So, I'm pretty close to that 600 lbs rating. This was with empty tanks all around. Since that weigh-in I now generally put around 15 gallons or so of fresh water in the tank as it's near the front of the TT and makes it more stable. Most of the storage is behind the axles so a little nose weight is good.

But, I've never weighed the actual tongue weight. The dealer is 4.5 hours away and anyway this is what he installed. Should I be looking at upgrading the spring bars to the 600 - 800 lb rating ones?
Does it really matter?
Am I over thinking this? I'm pretty happy with my sway control but then it's my first rig.

busterbrown
05-07-2019, 10:38 PM
You will notice a stiffer ride with the heavier bars.

If you think the tongue weight will be significantly heavier than 600 lbs, I would switch out the current ones for the next size up. If the TW stays relatively close to 600 lbs and the numbers look good when all saddled up, I would just keep what you have.

BTW, 125 lbs of water will add to your TW, but only by a percentage. The trailer axles will carry much of that fresh water weight.

Also, I've not heard of spring bars bending, breaking or failing in what you describe above.

Hankster
05-08-2019, 04:35 AM
I would tend to agree with BusterBrown. I'd much rather be at the upper end of a lighter spring than the lower end of the heavier spring.
Also, I was just telling the wife how our rig seems to tow better when we have a little more tongue weight, and the fresh water tank is full. Pickups always seem to ride smoothest at almost a completely full payload.

NH_Bulldog
05-08-2019, 04:42 AM
I agree with the above, the bars you have should be fine. We have an Eaz-Lift Trekker hitch set-up with the bars labeled 600 lbs. However, the specs say that the bars are good for up to 800 lbs. so there tends to be a little leeway in the numbers.