PDA

View Full Version : Desoto State Park in Alabama

LeeMedic
08-28-2011, 06:43 AM
We are going to camp at Desoto State Park in Alabama for a week in October. Has anyone camped here. If so, what did you think of the park?

Flyguy
08-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I haven't camped there yet but it's on my list. I have family that has and they rave about it. It's located near Ft. Payne which is in the mountains of NE Alabama not far from Chattanooga TN. I think you can get a reduced rate if you are a senior and they may give discounts for AARP, Good Sam, and the federal golden age passport so ask about discounts when making reservations.

jq1031
08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Keep us informed as I've also heard it a great spot!:wave:

LeeMedic
08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the comeback. I will keep you posted. Our arrival will be the first week in October.

Terrydactile
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
We stayed a few nights in October a few years ago, before they rewoked the campground and we loved it. Its got to be even better now that they upgraded the park. I don't think you can go wrong with this park, especially in the fall. Be sure to check out Little River Canyon and Desoto Falls. There are also a lot of hiking trails in the park.

slider
09-24-2011, 05:53 AM
One of our favorites and it's only a couple of hours from us, but we haven't been lately.

We've stayed a couple of times before they upgraded the campground (and we loved it then). The campground is well laid out with nice sites. Also done a couple day trips there.

Minor nit is that pool, etc is too far from where we camped to walk with kids, etc - don't suppose that will matter in October (probably closed anyway).

Little river falls, Desoto falls and Little River Canyon scenery are great. Decent fishing as well if that's your thing.