PDA

View Full Version : Bed struts

hornet28
05-04-2019, 03:30 PM
The struts for our queen bed are shot in our 5'er and I'm considering going from 60# to 70# has anyone here done that?

busterbrown
05-04-2019, 04:07 PM
With stronger struts, the bed may not stay closed, especially during travel. A member on here had to secure gate latches underneath the platform as the bed wouldn't lay flat. Problem solved, just be aware it may happen.

hornet28
05-04-2019, 04:32 PM
The scenario you posted is what I want to avoid so that's why the question. I don't know how the 60's worked as we just bought the 5'er last fall.

LHaven
05-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Although the optimum solution would have struts of the same strength on each side, LaVenture's owner told me it's not uncommon to achieve the right strength by using different strength struts on both sides. So if two 70s overpower your hatch, you could consider trading one of the old 60s back in.

hornet28
05-10-2019, 09:02 AM
I bought 80# to replace the 60# and they work great. One of the 60# was completely shot

merbnz
05-10-2019, 09:14 AM
You can try this website. It may help.
https://www.hatchlift.com/rv-hatch-replacement-springs

LHaven
05-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Well, I received and installed the 120# struts yesterday, with mixed results. When closed, the bed hatch has neutral weight, so I can lift it quite easily now -- in fact, it "floats" an inch or two up and down at rest, but nothing bothersome and it doesn't open by itself. Unfortunately, when I do open it, it doesn't stay open -- I have to hold it with one hand, though it is very easy to hold. It looks like I will have to add a PVC brace if I want to be able to use both my hands to load and unload cargo. Because it floats slightly when closed, I don't dare move up to a stronger spring. I'm not sure why the original geometry doesn't work right, but I guess this is the price of a serious mattress.