PDA

View Full Version : Awning cable thing..?

Scott902
05-04-2019, 05:38 AM
Not sure what to call it, but its the plastic piece that slides in to keep the awning in the end part. It keeps backing out. Its a pain to slide back in. Any tips on keeping it in or why it keeps backing out?

https://i.imgur.com/wk9UdY5.jpg

chuckster57
05-04-2019, 06:45 AM
It’s called the gimp. It is slipping out because it wasn’t installed correctly. It should have been tucked under the end cap.

Easy fix at this point is to push it back in and then “pin” it with a very small screw into the gimp. It will spread it and should stay put.

Scott902
05-04-2019, 06:55 AM
It’s called the gimp. It is slipping out because it wasn’t installed correctly. It should have been tucked under the end cap.

Easy fix at this point is to push it back in and then “pin” it with a very small screw into the gimp. It will spread it and should stay put.

Any tips for pushing it back in? Sucker is tough!

JRTJH
05-04-2019, 08:57 AM
The gimp is usually cut 4-6 inches longer than the fabric on each end. Look at the other end of the awning, if you can see the gimp in the slot, extending beyond the fabric, there's no need to push it back in. All it does is serve as "cording" to keep the awning fabric secured in the slot on the awning roller. There's a similar piece on the other end of the awning that keeps the fabric secure in the awning rail which is attached to the trailer sidewall.

If you have "gimp" on both ends of the awning roller, just cut that extra off and run a small screw through the gimp. DON'T SCREW INTO THE AWNING ROLLER TUBE, just use a short screw that only penetrates the gimp. The screw will expand the gimp, locking it into position so it won't slide any more.

Scott902
05-06-2019, 05:10 AM
its not out the other end. Just slid out further on this side

MarkEHansen
05-06-2019, 05:36 AM
I have the same issue with my awning, having just had it replaced under warranty. When you say place a small screw, do you mean place the screw in from the end of the gimp, lengthwise, or perpendicular to the gimp? Do you have a picture which shows this?

Thanks,

chuckster57
05-06-2019, 06:10 AM
Perpendicular through the gimp.