PDA

View Full Version : Axle Popping

btallon
05-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Hi all. New owner here. I have a 2017 Keystone Bullet 24RKS. It has a tandem axle, which may be important to this question. When I go slowly around a sharp corner or back up and turn sharply, I can see one tire get a noticeable camber to it. Then I hear a loud POP that seems to be coming from the axle. I have only had it a week, bought it from a reputable dealer (if there is such a thing). We have a long trip tomorrow, so I'm hoping this is nothing, or if it is something, that I know in time to change my plans. Have you heard of this?

Some forums seem to suggest this is normal on the tandem axle, as one tire builds up pressure in a high grip slow turn and the springs eventually pop it back into place. But now I'm a bit anxious.

Logan X
05-02-2019, 07:22 PM
The camber on the tire is normal and some moderate popping sounds are normal as well. Others may have a differing opinion, but what you describe sounds normal to me.

Edit- the popping sound may also be coming from your hitch. I grease my hitch ball and the friction points on my weight distribution hitch. My hitch is rather loud and creaky if it is not greased.

chuckster57
05-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Very normal. You should see what we do with a forklift, moving units around the lot. Sometimes I think the tire is going to pop off the rim.

busterbrown
05-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Popping is normal as the suspension is being stressed on turns. There may be some noise coming from your WDH, based on which brand you have. I had a Blue Ox Sway pro that made popping noises from the bar chains when I backed up. My current Hensley is quiet.

btallon
05-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Thank you! And that loud popping sound is normal? It doesn't happen when I'm driving straight or taking corners easy (or fast). First time owner with a big trip coming up, so I'd rather not have my wheels falling off along the way. Many thanks.

busterbrown
05-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Thank you! And that loud popping sound is normal?

Nope, you should be good to go.

FlyingAroundRV
05-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Loud popping and alarming noises from the weight distribution/antisway hitch during tight cornering and maneuvering in campgrounds is quite normal. Alarming at times, but normal. Go, go, go!

ChuckS
05-03-2019, 06:57 AM
I would still next time you have hitch off put a light coating of lube on the ball and RV receiver as well as a light coating on both weight distribution bar attach points.

Additionally did anyone grease the trailer spring hanger attach bolts and such at dealership ?

chuckster57
05-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Additionally did anyone grease the trailer spring hanger attach bolts and such at dealership ?
The only suspension that is "greasable" are the "wet bolt" ones, and I can guess that the OP's trailer didn't come form the factory with them. My 2012 Copper Canyon didn't, its on my list of things to do.

ChuckS
05-03-2019, 07:03 AM
The only suspension that is "greasable" are the "wet bolt" ones, and I can guess that the OP's trailer didn't come form the factory with them. My 2012 Copper Canyon didn't, its on my list of things to do.

YES... and that’s exactly what I was referring to. Those “wet” bolts are in fact the spring to hanger attach bolts.

It’s a nice morning out in Idaho.

chuckster57
05-03-2019, 07:13 AM
And likewise very nice morning in Modesto too. I was just stating that I doubt the OP's trailer came with them from the factory. It would be an excellent upgrade to toss those plastic bushings and replace with bronze ones and get rid of the non greaseable bolts with ones that have a grease port (zerk fitting).

ChuckS
05-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Such a shame that for a few more bucks all the trailer chassis for RVs could have wet bolts installed when they make them.

Luckily every trailer and fifth wheel we’ve had came with wet bolts. Even my two Attitude Toy haulers were equipped as such...

Many years ago we used to fly air shows at Modesto when I was with the USAF Thunderbirds. Nothing like a view of Modesto while flying inverted at 500 KIA

chuckster57
05-03-2019, 09:18 AM
I probably watched you take off/land since we have lived near the airport since 2000.

rjrelander
05-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Such a shame that for a few more bucks all the trailer chassis for RVs could have wet bolts installed when they make them.
Our wet bolt kit should be on the doorstep this afternoon. Wet bolt kit, bearing repack, brake inspection, new tires and we should be good to go. Solid day of work but should be worth it. On a road trip (non-camping) at the moment so probably won't be able to get at it until week after next unfortunately.

Logan X
05-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Our wet bolt kit should be on the doorstep this afternoon. Wet bolt kit, bearing repack, brake inspection, new tires and we should be good to go. Solid day of work but should be worth it. On a road trip (non-camping) at the moment so probably won't be able to get at it until week after next unfortunately.

That’s good stuff! It sounds like an awesome Saturday to me.

BadmanRick
05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
This is normal noise from a WIDE WHEEL BASE Bullet trailer. Other popping noises come from the WD hitch. I have a 2011 and have had no problems with the suspension of the trailer.

markjamestx
05-09-2019, 10:13 AM
You sure it is not your hitch making that noise?

B&T_NF-NY
05-10-2019, 07:06 PM
OK wait a minute . . . I know that the ball on the hitch you can / should grease - but the weight distribution bars? mine creaks / pops also, I thought that's normal. Mine's a friction sway control WD setup. Wouldn't that negate the purpose of the sway control? Please help me understand. Sorry if I am not reading this correctly. Thanks

Logan X
05-10-2019, 07:18 PM
OK wait a minute . . . I know that the ball on the hitch you can / should grease - but the weight distribution bars? mine creaks / pops also, I thought that's normal. Mine's a friction sway control WD setup. Wouldn't that negate the purpose of the sway control? Please help me understand. Sorry if I am not reading this correctly. Thanks

This question also came up in another recent thread. I’m not sure which hitch you use, I have the equalizer 4 point sway control. The manual says to grease the friction points on the hitch head and spring bar sockets.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manuals-guides/manuals/6k-14k-model-owners-manual/regular-maintenance