PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Jack vs. bottle jack

Irishman2014
05-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Hello all. We're still in the process of equipping our TT with some basic necessities and trying to determine how best to jack the trailer up in the event that we need to change a flat tire. We have road hazard protection, but I'm certain that there will come a time when we'll need or want to do it ourselves. Our trailer weighs about 6500 Lbs (or more depending on all the crap we have in it) and would like to know based upon your experience if a bottle jack (maybe a 4 ton) is the best option? In my experience I'll also need a jack stand to work in conjunction with the bottle jack if the trailer is going to be elevated for any length of time. I believe this is simply because as the bottle jack ages the oil tends to shift from one reservoir to the other causing the jack to lose its holding power. The Rapid Jack eliminates this problem and it looks fairly easy to use. Thoughts?

chuckster57
05-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Bottle jacks are powerful yet compact. I carry a 4 ton. Stored in an upright position mine hasn’t had any issues in over 10 years...and yes it’s from Harbor Freight.

sourdough
05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
The Andersen Rapid Jack is really nice if it will pick your tire up far enough for removal. I had another brand that was a total fail. The Rapid jack does work for us. But, in some situations it may or may not pick the tire up far enough. I carry 2 8 ton bottle jacks as well along with boards, blocks etc. You encounter lots of situations when trying to replace a tire/wheel. IMO the more "stuff" the better.

busterbrown
05-02-2019, 07:48 PM
An 8 ton bottle jack has a little more base and height than the 4 ton. IMO, it'll be a little safer under the axle.

As Danny stated, if the Rapid Jack works for your axle setup, it's also a good option. For wide spaced axles on my Bullet, it's a "no go".

Irishman2014
05-02-2019, 09:29 PM
I believe I have wide space axles as well, so I guess I better go with the bottle jack. Thanks all.

ahegewald
05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
I've repaired bottle jacks....unless your using jack stands... prepare to have an accident. My business no longer repairs bottle jacks. They are cheap, they fail and they are not worth fixing...why put your life at risk?

Use tire ramps. Hydraulic Bottle jacks are unreliable and leak if tipped on their side.

ahegewald
05-02-2019, 09:51 PM
If you use a bottle jack, then use other stabilizing jacks are your trailer to keep it from moving and the bottle jack from popping out...crushing you.

hornet28
05-03-2019, 07:39 PM
These work great https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Trailer-Aid-Yellow-21/206813627

notanlines
05-04-2019, 01:27 AM
I'm going to vote AGAINST the use of Trailer Aid, although you may find a use for it if you happen to have a flat in the perfect location, say a Wally World parking lot. A bottle jack (4-8 ton) with a little blocking is our preferred way to travel. We happen to have two, one that came standard on the new truck, and the 10-ton that came a few years ago from the Snap-on Tool Company....that's my first lie of the day. :eek: It was bought on sale at Tractor Supply.
But hedgewald makes a good point: Be sure to put safety first. Jack stands are a good idea if you are in the neighborhood of home.

hornet28
05-04-2019, 04:52 AM
I'm going to vote AGAINST the use of Trailer Aid, although you may find a use for it if you happen to have a flat in the perfect location, say a Wally World parking lot. A bottle jack (4-8 ton) with a little blocking is our preferred way to travel. We happen to have two, one that came standard on the new truck, and the 10-ton that came a few years ago from the Snap-on Tool Company....that's my first lie of the day. :eek: It was bought on sale at Tractor Supply.
But hedgewald makes a good point: Be sure to put safety first. Jack stands are a good idea if you are in the neighborhood of home.

The same can be said for jack stands. Also we're talking about changing a flat not working underneath the trailer. The tire on the other axle will prevent it from dropping to the ground

hornet28
05-04-2019, 06:56 AM
notanlines, you're right I just tried it for the first time on the 5th wheel and it just barely got the other tire off the pavement, so no it wouldn't be very good on a less than a solid surface. I'd tried it earlier on my car hauler and it worked great had the other tire almost 4" off the ground.

JRTJH
05-04-2019, 08:27 AM
notanlines, you're right I just tried it for the first time on the 5th wheel and it just barely got the other tire off the pavement, so no it wouldn't be very good on a less than a solid surface. I'd tried it earlier on my car hauler and it worked great had the other tire almost 4" off the ground.

Lots of people make the assumption that "a trailer is a trailer"....

For many situations, nothing could be further from the truth. There are lots of differences between "trailers" and "towable RV's". We can start with the "towing specs" from auto manufacturers, move on to "sidewall sail" square footage, wide spaced vs narrow spaced axle configuration, loading characteristics, front surface area, sway control, weight/balance issues just to name a few.

Your statement that "it worked on my car hauler and had the tire 4" off the ground" is a perfect example of "we're working with a totally different breed of trailer" when doing most anything on an RV trailer.

Thanks for pointing out the difference you found between trailer types, even when working with something as "similar" as pulling one axle up on a block to raise the other tire.....

ADDED: To clarify, I suppose my point is that when in a store, shopping for "trailer stuff" just because it's advertised to do something or work on "trailers" doesn't mean it will work on an RV. Lots of "trailer stuff" simply is inadequate or not designed for the way RV trailers are engineered or configured.

66joej
05-04-2019, 09:00 AM
I carry an 8 ton bottle jack, 2x10x12 blocks and a folding camp shovel. Shovel to help level uneven ground for jacking if by the side of the road.

rjrelander
05-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Anybody still use farm jacks? Looks like you can still buy them. We used to use them all the time growing up. Not sure how well they work for trailers though.

busterbrown
05-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Anybody still use farm jacks? Looks like you can still buy them. We used to use them all the time growing up. Not sure how well they work for trailers though.

Big, bulky, and not practical for RVs. Lifting points on the frame would not be accessible on the RV. Hi Lift jacks are better suited for lifted, tactical, and farm vehicles.

LHaven
05-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Curse you all. This posting made me curious about the prices of bottle jacks at Tractor Supply. Now all my pages on Keystone Forums are festooned with dancing red bottle jack ads from TS. :facepalm:

busterbrown
05-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Curse you all. This posting made me curious about the prices of bottle jacks at Tractor Supply. Now all my pages on Keystone Forums are festooned with dancing red bottle jack ads from TS. :facepalm:

Oh, the power of the "cookie".

GMcKenzie
05-05-2019, 05:41 AM
Big, bulky, and not practical for RVs. Lifting points on the frame would not be accessible on the RV. Hi Lift jacks are better suited for lifted, tactical, and farm vehicles.

Agreed. They have their uses but I think the only place you could use one on a trailer would be the tongue/a-frame.

Picked up a new bottle jack (mine was pretty small) and a couple more jack stands (I now have 6) so I could do my spring bushings. Not one place I could use my jack-all (which is what a hi-lift has always been called in my life).

the406life
05-05-2019, 05:59 AM
I've repaired bottle jacks....unless your using jack stands... prepare to have an accident. My business no longer repairs bottle jacks. They are cheap, they fail and they are not worth fixing...why put your life at risk?

Use tire ramps. Hydraulic Bottle jacks are unreliable and leak if tipped on their side.

Tire ramps don’t always get the job done. We’re talking using a bottle jack to change a tire, not replace an axle assembly. The trailer isn’t going to fall on you if the jack fails on a tandem axle trailer. The other axle will catch it.
Used correctly bottle jacks are safe.

tommy_z
05-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Bottle jack owners: Do you place the jack on the axle to change a tire? Do you use anything to increase the contact area between jack and axle?

chuckster57
05-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Bottle jack owners: Do you place the jack on the axle to change a tire? Do you use anything to increase the contact area between jack and axle?

Your going to use the spot where the Ubolts hold the springs onto the axle. Depending on which “tool” is available at the time, I have used both a floor jack and my personal 4 ton bottle jack.

busterbrown
05-05-2019, 06:55 PM

The bottle jack should be placed between the ubolts and centered on the axle.

If you have access to a welder or have a friend who welds, this cradle could be a worth while investment.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAG-Bottle-Jack-Axle-Cradle/271781679984?hash=item3f47735370:g:5BcAAOSw1tRcv1I s

FF/PM
05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
I fully agree with carrying a good solid jack and blocks, but keep in mind the easiest way to change a tire is often just lifting the other tandem. You can also use the trailer stabilizers to keep it in place. Some are powerful enough to lift the whole side. Keep it simple, but have the other jack in case the easy won't work.

itat
05-09-2019, 08:42 AM
I have a 20 ton bottle jack from Princess Auto (the Canadian version of Harbour Freight). I know it's overkill but I received it as a Christmas present a few years back. My new 5er has Dexter Torflex axles so I always lift on the frame. I have a couple stacks of 2"x10"x10" boards that I used to use with our TT but the new 5er has the Lippert auto-level system and I figured I'd just use Lynx Levelers under the leveler jacks. Having read this thread, I'm reminded that I should keep bringing the stacks just in case I need to use the bottle jack.

UsTwo
05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
i have and have used a 4 ton bottle jack. Its compact and easy to use.. that and I also carry a couple of 2x6x6's, for both under and above the jack. And like another I have used a floor jack and the bottle jack at the same time to change tires and grease bearings..

footz1941
05-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Put the bottle jack under the spring pad Never on the axle itself. If you have power leveling system you can use it to pick up one side of the RV. Lippert says not to do this. Liability Issue but works for changing a tire

LHaven
05-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Hm. Lippert's own auto-leveling system took my tires clear of the ground with no comment or complaint last month at an overly downhill state park campsite, so I believe I've just spared myself the hassle of a bottle jack. Thanks for the reminder.

Local150
05-09-2019, 03:30 PM
I use a bottle Jack and also carry a little lumber in case needed,, believe mine is a 6 or 8 ton

KeithBook
05-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Camco's "The Camper Aid" works well, but you may need to raise it 3" to 5" bring boards or similar to put under it.

I found that on my travel trailer, which I think has the More-Ride Suspension, allowed the other wheel to drop down quite a way so I could not get it off.

Rconner22
05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Just a short message. I had a blowout about 4 weeks ago. I have keep a 3 ton bottle jack in my camper. it has a small foot print in my storage and worked very well when needed.

slow
05-31-2019, 12:42 PM
I carry both. Never know what situation I will find myself in so I want options.

Pull Toy
05-31-2019, 02:09 PM
Even though our rig has 6 point Lippert hydraulic leveling, which will lift your tires clear of the ground. (Using jack stands, We've actually had all four off of the ground, at the same time for maintenance.) We also carry a 4 ton bottle jack, just in case.... As already stated, keep it stored upright, and it wouldn't hurt to bring some extra jack fluid. Keep it all in a LARGE zip-lock bag. (Trust me!)

If you do decide to use a bottle jack, bring an extra 2' length of "pipe" that fits over your existing jack handle. It makes the lift so much easier!

In any case, just a reminder, regardless of how you change a tire, check your spare's tire pressure! PLEASE... check your lug nuts, at your next stop, and again at 500 miles.

Good Luck,

depush
06-01-2019, 06:15 AM
Everyone has their own way. :)

Bottle jacks are so cheap I opted for the 20-ton shorty. Its base is wide, which was important to me, and knowing that any jack can fail I didn't mind going way over-spec. It'll be loafing. Could lift my whole trailer and the TV too, loaded. (The trailer won't fall to the ground, there's another axle. 2 in my case. Still, caution is prudent, and confidence is nice in trouble situations. The increase in size and weight over a smaller bottle jack isn't enough to matter, IMO)

I just replaced all of my six center hub covers. I used a short 2x4 to span the u-bolts at the end of the axle and lifted there. The wood compresses where it needs to, providing a softener while distributing the weight. It was very stable.

I also use a cordless impact for the lugs (also used for stabilizing jacks). Wouldn't leave home without it.

Obligatory word of caution: when reinstalling lugs with an impact don't over-torque. It's easy to do and could deform an alloy wheel. Use a torque wrench to final tighten to spec. (Tire houses typically use 100lbs across the board for all 1/2"x20 lug studs. My Keystone spec says 120lbs.) It's advised to check lugs and re-tighten to spec at 10 then 50 then 100 miles and thereafter until the lugs stay tightened to spec.