PDA

View Full Version : pressure relief valve hot water tank

elderhutch
04-26-2019, 01:53 PM
This forum has been a tremendous help to me in the past. Having a problem I've yet been able to get done. 2005 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel. Need to remove/replace hot water tank pressure valve. Problem is, I cannot get to this valve with any tools I have. The valve is located at the very top of door opening, leaving me no room to fit a wrench on valve to loosen/remove, even removing the 'panels' next to valve does not help. If anyone on this site could help me with this issue I would sincerely appreciate it. Note: live in full time, with no way to take to a repair shop.

Frank G
04-26-2019, 02:44 PM
You may have to attack the valve, straight on, using the best available tool to grab the top of the valve and use another to turn it. It will not turn easy and you could even destroy the tank requiring a replacement tank. If you do get it out use a quality pipe dope (My first choice) or lots of plumbers tape on the replacement and try not to overtighten and mess up the new one.

Good Luck

Bostongone
04-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Elder hutch, you might try something like this faucet wrench?
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN92002-Telescoping-Capacity-10-Inch/dp/B01D4ZF0MA
May be cheaper options but this one looks fairly strong.

Royalwapiti
04-30-2019, 05:23 AM
or try this tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-10552-Universal-Temperature-Pressure/dp/B003VB15MC/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=rv+water+heater+valve&qid=1556630188&s=gateway&sr=8-17

I would soak it with PB Blaster for a day, (not with it running).

Tools like this might only be used once or twice in your lifetime but are usually well worth it. They save you a lot of aggravation.

Logan X
04-30-2019, 06:47 AM
This forum has been a tremendous help to me in the past. Having a problem I've yet been able to get done. 2005 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel. Need to remove/replace hot water tank pressure valve. Problem is, I cannot get to this valve with any tools I have. The valve is located at the very top of door opening, leaving me no room to fit a wrench on valve to loosen/remove, even removing the 'panels' next to valve does not help. If anyone on this site could help me with this issue I would sincerely appreciate it. Note: live in full time, with no way to take to a repair shop.

Just out of curiosity why do you need to remove it? The reason I ask is sometimes the relief valve is leaking because you lost the air pocket in the hot water heater. It is easy to replace the air pocket and you don’t need to remove the relief valve.

bobbecky
04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Our original water heater had the valve leak, but only when there was no air pocket, but also only when the water heater had been running. Once it shut off, the drip would stop. Several years ago, I had to replace the water heater due to a leak in the tank, and the new water heater had a new pressure relief valve already installed, and after installing, and after the air pocket disappeared, the new valve leaked just like the old one. Just saying all this so you know that replacing the valve is probably a waste of time, unless it leaks constantly.

Logan X
04-30-2019, 10:18 AM
To replace the air pocket:

Turn off all of the water supply

Open a hot water faucet in the trailer and leave it open

Open the pressure relief valve until water stops coming out and let it snap shut, be careful the water may be hot

Close the hot water faucet in the trailer

Turn on the water supply

I had to do this procedure twice before it worked.

Hblick48
04-30-2019, 07:45 PM
My pressure relief valve was leaking, so I replaced it. Still leaked. Installed an accumulator tank https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Pre-Pressurized-Accumulator-Tank/dp/B01MVA6GCC.

Pressure relief valve doesn't leak anymore, and water pump doesn't cycle as often as before. Also much quieter.

GMcKenzie
05-06-2019, 05:19 AM
My pressure relief valve was leaking, so I replaced it. Still leaked. Installed an accumulator tank https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Pre-Pressurized-Accumulator-Tank/dp/B01MVA6GCC.

Pressure relief valve doesn't leak anymore, and water pump doesn't cycle as often as before. Also much quieter.

I've got a larger one installed under the sink. Now I can flsuh the toilet -23 times in the night without the water pump coming on, which happens to be in a cupboard on the wife's side of the bed.

elderhutch
05-06-2019, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry, my computer has been in the shop, unable to check back here. I want to say first, many thanks for all of the suggestions and help, i appreciate the input on problem.
I believe it needs to be replaced, for sure leaking, and i've done the "air pocket" step several times, always returns within a day. If replacing doesn't fix it i'll check out the accumulator tank option.

Phil Saran
05-12-2019, 01:27 PM
If you are not able to do the replacement yourself, there is always a mobile RV
tech you can hire to come to you to do the repair.

atkinsb3
05-13-2019, 04:25 AM
I've got a larger one installed under the sink. Now I can flsuh the toilet -23 times in the night without the water pump coming on, which happens to be in a cupboard on the wife's side of the bed.

I like the accumulator tank idea! Was thinking of a way to quite the pump, it's in the same location in our trailer. If it doesn't come on as often the problem solved!

GMcKenzie
05-13-2019, 04:49 AM

Gahh.

This should read 2-3 times. I don't get up 23 times in the night....

atkinsb3
05-13-2019, 05:37 AM
Figured that was the case...:lol:... but I have been falsely accused of getting up and to use the bathroom around that number of times a night.