PDA

View Full Version : RV antenna

Meek
04-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Never had an rv always been tent campers. Bought a new springdale 202 and was curious if some one can tell me when all the antenna Jack's inside the trailer are for. One is by itself and says antenna. Then there's 2 next to it with a short 3 inch cable attaching the 2 together. Thanks for any info.

chuckster57
04-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. The “antenna” port is used to get OTA signal to the TV.

Been a while but I believe the “loop” is for satellite reception.

JRTJH
04-25-2019, 08:39 PM
If your trailer is wired like mine, there is a "cable/satellite" port on the outside. Inside you'll find two plates, one with the small jumper and two connectors and one with the antenna booster, TV cable connector and a 12 VDC "cigarette lighter plug".

The rear outside port is where you plug in a campground "cable TV" connection. With the "jumper cable" in place, the signal passes to the plate with the RV cable connector (turn the antenna booster amplifier OFF).

If you connect a satellite dish to the rear outside port, then you'll need to remove the jumper cable, the lower connector is attached to the satellite receiver box "IN" and the box "OUT" is connected to the top connector. With the antenna booster OFF, you should have satellite signal to the TV.

Essentially, the jumper cable is a "pass through" for cable TV and is removed to connect the satellite receiver.

When using the OTA (rooftop) antenna, the jumper cable is not a part of the system. The OTA antenna connects to the splitter behind the plate with the booster switch and lighter plug on it

Here's what mine looks like

Fredcook
04-26-2019, 02:46 AM
You may also have a booster button near the cohort cable as well. If this on it will help you find channels for the OTA..

{tpc}
04-26-2019, 04:02 AM
Man I wish mine had come with that jumper! I had to rewire and do my own on the booster wall plate. Same theory though.

Bisjoe
04-26-2019, 04:23 AM
If your trailer is wired like mine, there is a "cable/satellite" port on the outside. Inside you'll find two plates, one with the small jumper and two connectors and one with the antenna booster, TV cable connector and a 12 VDC "cigarette lighter plug".

The rear outside port is where you plug in a campground "cable TV" connection. With the "jumper cable" in place, the signal passes to the plate with the RV cable connector (turn the antenna booster amplifier OFF).

If you connect a satellite dish to the rear outside port, then you'll need to remove the jumper cable, the lower connector is attached to the satellite receiver box "IN" and the box "OUT" is connected to the top connector. With the antenna booster OFF, you should have satellite signal to the TV.

Essentially, the jumper cable is a "pass through" for cable TV and is removed to connect the satellite receiver.

When using the OTA (rooftop) antenna, the jumper cable is not a part of the system. The OTA antenna connects to the splitter behind the plate with the booster switch and lighter plug on it

Here's what mine looks like
This is correct, and the same as on my Springdale 202. That booster makes a big difference.

Benjo
05-26-2019, 08:05 PM
What would you use the 12 volt lighter socket for - perhaps to power a 12 volt TV, if that's what you have? By the way Bisjoe, yes that booster does make a tremendous difference. We've got a pretty Plain Jane Toshiba TV, but so far it has done well enough for us.

Bisjoe
05-28-2019, 04:19 AM
What would you use the 12 volt lighter socket for - perhaps to power a 12 volt TV, if that's what you have? By the way Bisjoe, yes that booster does make a tremendous difference. We've got a pretty Plain Jane Toshiba TV, but so far it has done well enough for us.
I have a small inverter that I plug into that 12 volt socket to run the TV if not connected to shore power. I also use it to power my wifi rear-view camera, that's mounted in the back window and transmits to an old Android phone in the cab.

depush
05-28-2019, 05:02 AM
I have a small inverter that I plug into that 12 volt socket to run the TV if not connected to shore power. I also use it to power my wifi rear-view camera, that's mounted in the back window and transmits to an old Android phone in the cab.

Interesting. I've yet to find anything that will fit properly. I thought it was a non-standard outlet at first. Everything I've attempted seems to be too long and won't stay seated.