PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody heard of this brand?

Team194
04-21-2019, 04:09 AM
Hi all. I'm in the market for a TH and was planning to buy Hideout's 25TH. We have a some concerns (quality of build and if it will be produced-our local dealer told us late last fall they ordered two that will aruve in the spring, well here we are and no rv, and I'm not sure all orders are being filled by Hideout). I stumble upon an add for a 2015 Crossroads Altitude AT282. From the pictures it looks like a real quality built unit (one piece front cap, fibreglass ext, built in generator, better quality furniture and cupboards, metal construction not stick and tin etc). Problem is, I can't find anything about this company or unit online! Can anyone enlighten me about this company, the unit (was it a flop), any knowledge would be muchly appreciated!
Thanks, Kurt.

Pull Toy
04-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Google “Crossroads Campers” several links come up.

If this is your first camper, especially when considering any used unit, take a knowledgeable friend with you. Also print down a PDI checklist. This will help you assess your purchase prior to signing on the dotted line.

Good Luck,

jsb5717
04-21-2019, 06:14 AM
Here's some info:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-crossroads-altitude-toy-hauler-floorplan-at-282-tr23144

JRTJH
04-21-2019, 06:28 AM
You can go to this link and view numerous Hideout 25TH models for sale: https://www.rvtrader.com/Keystone-Rv-Hideout-25th-RVs/rvs-for-sale?make=Keystone%20Rv&model=Hideout%2025TH

Keep in mind that the Hideout line of RV's is an "entry level" line, built with aluminum siding, wooden framing and minimal "luxury" equipment.

The 25TH is a "new model" being produced this year, so the supply of them on dealer lots will be scarce, especially if it turns out to be a popular model. That will also cause the 'supply and demand" factor to enter into negotiations. If there are 4 people looking to buy a specific trailer, the dealership will tend to keep the price high. Conversely, if the model has been sitting on the lot for a year and nobody has shown any interest, the dealer will be more inclined to reduce the price to get the "deadwood" off his lot and replace it with something he can make money selling.....

gearhead
04-21-2019, 08:18 AM
I think you are on the right track. If I had it to do all over again I would look at higher quality used unit rather than a new low quality one.
A suggestion...look for a nearby RV repair shop, not sales lot. Ask the owner/supervisor/foreman if one of his experienced mechanics would want to make some extra money after work to help you inspect a used RV. Dangle the issue of you using this shop for accessories and repairs. $50 would be an insult but I think $200-300 might work.

CrazyCain
04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Must chime in and say, i have the "low quality" hideout, prefer the "entry level" tag and have not had any major problems with it, just little fit and finish things the 3 years of ownership. I, of course, keep up on the maintenance required, but even that is just keeping an eye out for potential problems. Yes, it may not have all the bells' and whistle's some of the Higher End units have, who needs it, but its all that we wanted and are completely satisfied. plus we use it every other weekend year around..

:popcorn:

JRTJH
04-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Must chime in and say, i have the "low quality" hideout, prefer the "entry level" tag and have not had any major problems with it, just little fit and finish things the 3 years of ownership. I, of course, keep up on the maintenance required, but even that is just keeping an eye out for potential problems. Yes, it may not have all the bells' and whistle's some of the Higher End units have, who needs it, but its all that we wanted and are completely satisfied. plus we use it every other weekend year around..

:popcorn:

^^^^ what he just said: There's a significant difference in "high quality" and "added bling". Anyone who thinks that a Ford XL is built to a different "quality standard" than a King Ranch, well, go visit the assembly line. It's essentially the same with travel trailers. The Hideout is built with different technology (wood vs aluminum framing/aluminum vs FILON siding) and significantly different "bling". The price is low, not because it's any more/less cheaply built, but the price of the "stuff in it" is less.

There's good and bad (depending on what a buyer wants) with buying "entry level" or "luxury level". For one "good thing", there's much less to break and for some buyers, that's important. For others, if it doesn't have everything my BIL's Airstream has, then he'll laugh at me, so I want a luxury unit.... Not to say everyone who buys a Montana has that motivation, it's an example, not an all inclusive statement !!!!!

I'd say that from a "quality standpoint" the engineering in the Hideout line is just as good as the engineering in the Montana line. The difference is in cushion thickness, "bling" size of TV's, automated features, not in whether it'll fall apart when being towed off the lot..... YMMV

sourdough
04-21-2019, 10:15 AM
I pretty much think along the lines of the previous 2 statements. What is "luxury" or "nice", "necessity" etc. is all in the eye of the beholder. Nowadays we (DW and I) want a trailer with all the amenities, aftermarket thick pillowtop mattress, 2 ACs, big oven and microwave, porcelain, solid top counters etc. Why? I have no idea (except for the mattress - my back loves me for it):). All of those things add to the things that break, always at the most inopportune time. They add to weight, possible tire failures due to it and on and on.

As was said, the basic structure/engineering is probably virtually the same, it's just all the "add ons (bling)" that transform one level to the next.

My very first "travel trailer" was a new 1985 25' Terry Taurus. No oven, no microwave, cheaper trim, plastic fixtures, curtain to the bed, sheet metal exterior etc. etc. VERY "entry" level but I thought it was great and it was built like a tank. Only issue I ever had was a faulty furnace blower on the first use and the dealer came to my house and replaced the furnace. After that nothing else (unlike later, more appointed units) and I used that thing all over the place. Even had a large rock fall from the sky after a crew set off a charge of dynamite digging a hole for a septic tank a 100' from me. Don't recall what kind of roof but just heard the big bang/thump. Got up there and removed the rock (about 4" or so in diameter). I could see where it hit the roof but no dents, cuts or anything else...a tank.

Just throwing some thoughts out for the OP to consider while thinking about what "level" of trailer he may want to get. BTW, no matter what kind of trailer we've ever bought, entry or not, the mattress (even if they say it is their top of the line "residential" model) will probably be insufficient.:D

Team194
04-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the great responses! I usually go OCD before making a large purchase and this is no different. I've researched the hideout most of the winter and would be content with buying the hideout 25TH, if it actually comes into production/delivered in my area. Yet my real issue here, is that I found this crossroads altitude and I can't find much material on the namebrand or the line of toy hauler (Altitude). It appears to be very well built with aluminum and fibreglass walls, and a full front cap and the extra wide body. I guess my question is, does it matter The brand or is the maintenance of the unit what really counts? And does anybody have any knowledge of this name brand (Crossroads Altitude AT282)? Thanks

travelin texans
04-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Crossroads, as well as Keystone, are just a couple of the MANY rv brands in the Thor stable. Crossroads was its own stand alone line up til some time in 2017 I believe, at that time Thor rolled it over under the management of Keystone.
I owned a '13 Redwood built by Crossroads & this past Jan when I sold it any warranty, parts or just questions all went through Keystone.

sourdough
04-21-2019, 01:16 PM
I think Crossroads is like any other brand out there, no better and no worse with problems with quality control because they build for volume, not quantity. I looked at their website to see what lines of trailers they build. I don't see many of them on the road, maybe due to a limited number of dealers. I've not been in any of them with the exception of the Redwood which I figure is their top of the line and it was nice.

I'm sure you've looked but here are some links to reviews that pretty much mirror every other brand;

https://www.rvinsider.com/Crossroads-RV-Reviews?manu=CrossRoads

https://www.bbb.org/us/in/topeka/profile/wholesale-campers/crossroads-rv-0352-10021448/complaints

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CrossRoadsRV/reviews/?ref=page_internal

My thought would be find the perfect floorplan (did I mention floorplan, floorplan) then look for the other "must haves" you want/need and something that looks pleasing to you and DW at a price that is competitive.

New vs old? That is a personal question everyone has their opinion on. I buy only new and others figure that is a waste of money. It's just really what works for you. Happy hunting.

chuckster57
04-21-2019, 01:19 PM
We sold crossroads cruiser 5th wheels for one year, about 7 years ago. Only sold 2 and they are still going.

Rosendale
04-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Hi all. I'm in the market for a TH and was planning to buy Hideout's 25TH. We have a some concerns (quality of build and if it will be produced-our local dealer told us late last fall they ordered two that will aruve in the spring, well here we are and no rv, and I'm not sure all orders are being filled by Hideout). Edited
Thanks, Kurt.

We got our 26/? ft Hideout, 2 years ago, and put on quite a few miles. Both of us retired, we tow all over BC and Alberta, Canada and love it, our tow vehicle is a GMC Sierra 1500, so have to keep an eye on weight but other than that and the purchasing of a high density foam mattress, we love it!!! (not sure what that thing they call a mattress is that came with it, gave it to my neighbours for a doggie bed). We don't have a slide with this one, keeping it simple! Enjoy whichever you purchase!

Rosendale's
Northern B.C., Canada