PDA

View Full Version : Weight distribution hitch

nano
08-26-2011, 06:02 AM
For those of you that have had them installed I'm curious what the cost was for parts and labor. We got one price at the RV dealer, which I thought was really expensive, and then another price at a local truck parts place which was half the cost.

jq1031
08-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Like anything else it depends on what you're buying. My Reese with a friction sway bar was around $400 installed. There are some out there for less & some for more.

nano
08-26-2011, 06:21 AM
That seems reasonable. The RV dealer told us $600 and I immediately told him no. The local truck place gave me a price of $300, which I, of course, like much better. lol

Bob Landry
08-26-2011, 01:20 PM
You'll get the same hitch a lot cheaper online vendors like e-trailer. The dealer will overcharge for the hitch and certainly for the installation because few of them know how to set up WD. Save a lot of $$$, read the instructions and install it yourself, it's not difficult.

Grss
08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I paid $200 for mine and installed it myself. Not hard to do, just alot of trial and error to get it set level and weight adjusted right.

LeeMedic
08-28-2011, 06:41 AM
I learned my lesson:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3021

Have switched to a Hensley Arrow. Yes it cost, but well worth it. No more white knuckles when I tow.

The Sod Father
09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
For those of you that have had them installed I'm curious what the cost was for parts and labor. We got one price at the RV dealer, which I thought was really expensive, and then another price at a local truck parts place which was half the cost.

Nano - in order to compare prices, you need to compare apples to apples. Asking what it costs to install a weight distribution hitch is like asking what it costs to build a house. Do you want a 2 bedroom cottage or a 20 room mansion? I don't mean to sound flippant but some more detail would be very helpful.

It would also be helpful if we knew your trailer, size, weight and the tow vehicle you are using (year, make, model).

For example, if you are towing a 28' Passport with an F-150, then something like the Equalizer 1k/10k would be ideal for you. All in, you are probably spending around $500. If, however, you are like me and towing a 35' Bullet with an Expedition EL, then something like the Hensley Arrow may be your only option. Then you are looking at between $2,500 - $3,500.

Bugsy432
10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
@LeeMedic, that's a scary story with powerful pictures to back it up. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

I have a similiar setup with the Excursion with the 7.3 and a 31' Sprinter. We have owned it since new. The second year we had it we decided to spend some time down in the Florida Keys with it, about 1100 miles each way. I had a 14K lb load distribution/anti-sway system that I purchased when I bought the rig. It was a miserable trip with all the big rigs blowing us all over the road. My hands hurt from gripping the wheel so tight the entire drive.

When we returned home I too researched different hitches. I elected to go with the ProPride 3P hitch (this is not a plug for the company). New it was around $2,400.00. It took a little longer time to install then they said it would but back then, the president of the company sent his cell phone number with the package. I had to use it once during the install on a Sunday. He picked up the phone and answered my questions.

The money was WELL worth it. Now, I can almost one-hand the steering wheel. When I sell this rig, the ProPride is coming off and being switched to the next one.

I would recommend anyone that pulls a TT consider the extra investment, for the safety and piece of mind!