PDA

View Full Version : How to repaint sink

Pearlie
04-14-2019, 12:50 PM
I had a minor disaster in the bathroom lavatory sink in my Everest, when the Damp Rid bucket I had in there over the winter got wet, overflowed into the sink and damaged the finish. It now looks like camouflage (yuk). I think I should be able to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint I should use. Has anyone done this successfully?

Will the paint Krylon makes for plastic be durable enough for the sink or do I need something more specifically designed for a sink/shower?

Another thought, would the Gianni countertop refinishing product be durable enough? I might be able to get close to the original color/finish with that product.

notanlines
04-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Pearlie, coming from someone with 37 years in commercial/industrial painting an blasting I can only tell you one thing: Go to Sherwin-Williams or Devoe or Porter Paint and ask to speak to the manager. You are not to go by what is said by the 19 year-old pushing paint behind the counter. You will need to know what the surface is comprised of AND you will want to tell them that the surface will have Comet cleanser used on it. It is what they do for a living. Home Depot and Lowes wasn't on my list you will notice.

ChuckS
04-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Why not just replace the sink

busterbrown
04-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Why not just replace the sink

That's what I suggest too. It'll be a permanent fix. Relatively easy job too. Who knows how the sink will look after new paint is applied.

I just did a random.search on trekwood.com for a Cougar lavatory sink. $79 is reasonable for a small oval sink. You may have to dig deeper as sink dimensions are all over the place.

https://www.trekwood.com/products/498880/Sink-Lavatory-17-x-20-Oval-3-Hole-Parchment

JRTJH
04-15-2019, 05:13 AM
You can have a complete sink, faucet and drain "delivered to your house in 2 days" from Amazon for $48.95.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Bathroom-Stopper-Brushed-Lavatory/dp/B07CL8Z4MG/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=RV+sink&qid=1555333851&s=gateway&sr=8-15

I wouldn't consider repainting a plastic sink in an RV. Just the price of a quart of paint will probably be more expensive than a new sink. Yeah, I know, but in this day of "disposable stuff" .....

CWtheMan
04-15-2019, 10:03 AM
I had a minor disaster in the bathroom lavatory sink in my Everest, when the Damp Rid bucket I had in there over the winter got wet, overflowed into the sink and damaged the finish. It now looks like camouflage (yuk). I think I should be able to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint I should use. Has anyone done this successfully?

Will the paint Krylon makes for plastic be durable enough for the sink or do I need something more specifically designed for a sink/shower?

Another thought, would the Gianni countertop refinishing product be durable enough? I might be able to get close to the original color/finish with that product.

We also have an Everest. We've replaced the kitchen sink - a drop-in - three times. My wife doesn't like stainless steel.

When the Everest went out of production we just went to Montana dealers. Browsed several units until we found a sink that would work. Same with the bathroom sinks which we have changed twice. Some dealers are more agreeable than others. The last one we got was from Tom Johnson. They had it drop shipped from the factory directly to our location at the time.

xtraquispe
04-05-2024, 04:06 PM

What did you end up doing?? I had the exact same thing happen in the kitchen and it ate away the "stainless" layer so it's a giant rust spot now. Chemicals just ate it away.

wiredgeorge
04-06-2024, 04:33 AM
The OP hasn't been on the site since January this year. Perhaps send a private message and if the OP has chosen to receive notifications, will get an email and respond to you. This thread is 5 years old, by the way.

xtraquispe
04-06-2024, 04:52 AM
The OP hasn't been on the site since January this year. Perhaps send a private message and if the OP has chosen to receive notifications, will get an email and respond to you. This thread is 5 years old, by the way.

Thanks. Yes, I saw the date. Couldn’t hurt to reply and hope they get a notification. Appreciate you making sure I knew how long ago this was.

rhagfo
04-06-2024, 06:34 AM
This may be five years old, but it has an important lesson! The damp rid and Drizair dehumidifiers create a nasty liquid that will stain and if spilled on porous surface you will never be able to dry it out, it will need to be replaced.

Pearlie
04-06-2024, 06:48 AM
What did you end up doing?? I had the exact same thing happen in the kitchen and it ate away the "stainless" layer so it's a giant rust spot now. Chemicals just ate it away.

Well, I've been here all along, just lurking.

Anyway, I haven't done anything with the sink. I decided to just replace it with an ivory sink at some point (which hasn't come yet). It's annoying but I can live with it until the time comes to sell the rig. The new owner will get a new sink.

rhagfo
04-06-2024, 08:21 AM

Well we put a too warm pan in our kitchen plastic stainless sink once, put a “dent” in the bottom. Found a Moen the almost fit the existing opening, needed to enlarge about 1/2” with and depth.