PDA

View Full Version : Propane pigtails cracking

Steveo57
04-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Just checked my propane pigtails and both of them are looking pretty sad, both of them are all cracked. They're on my 2018 Cougar 22RBS and the hoses are dated Sept 2017 so they are only about a year and a half old.

I'm going to replace them with some stainless braided hoses.

BamaRam
04-14-2019, 08:16 AM
One of mine was leaking at the fitting. I was camping in the cold at the time so I went to Ace and got a Mr Heater replacement. I installed it and the auto switch over never worked again. I had the regulator/hose replaced under warranty.

Kojac
04-14-2019, 08:22 AM
I had the same problem with a set made in 2016. I bought a set wrapped in metal coil from e-trailers for about eleven dollars each and solved the problem.

busterbrown
04-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Looks like a case of extreme UV exposure. Mine are 3 years old and have no signs of cracking or deterioration. I just checked. I tend to wipe them down with Aerospace 303 each time I wash/wax the RV. I do the same to the LPG tank cover. Looks brand new. My rig is parked in an outdoor storage lot year round.

Steveo57
04-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Looks like a case of extreme UV exposure. Mine are 3 years old and have no signs of cracking or deterioration. I just checked. I tend to wipe them down with Aerospace 303 each time I wash/wax the RV. I do the same to the LPG tank cover. Looks brand new. My rig is parked in an outdoor storage lot year round.

These are always under the cover for the propane tanks. From what I have seen this isn't uncommon with cheap hoses. 😠

busterbrown
04-14-2019, 10:35 AM
These are always under the cover for the propane tanks. From what I have seen this isn't uncommon with cheap hoses. 😠

You got me thinking... I wonder how many different suppliers of LP gas hoses does Keystone have. Maybe it's just luck of the draw. You're definitely not the first person to show evidence of such short life expectancy of these hoses. Sounds like it won't be too expensive to replace.

roadglide
04-14-2019, 11:03 AM
Mine broke and leaked at camp ground. I think keystones puts crap out for lowest bidder. The winning bidder has a wear house full of old rotten hoes. The vendor starts cutting rotten hose and makes them up with hose machine . I dought the machine is half as good as the machines I'm familiar with from my mining days . The hose is rotten from the vender . This should be a safety recall.

bobbecky
04-14-2019, 07:00 PM
While getting a 100 gallon tank connect several years ago, and telling the propane guy about cracks in our pigtails, he said the pigtails were made with a cheap plastic compound that doesn't hold up well to UV, even though this is a 5th wheel and the pigtails are in the compartments. He said to get pigtails with quality rubber covers and they will not crack as soon and will also remain flexible for much longer. The original pigtails also did not flex anymore, were hardened up in the curve that they developed while hooked up to the tanks. This is one of those things that shouldn't be scrimped on, as a leak can have dire consequences.

Brentw
04-14-2019, 07:33 PM
2 years out of mine, tanks and hoses in a cabinet, hoses would have never seen the sun.