PDA

View Full Version : Tank replacement/brand new trailer

yesiamapirate
04-12-2019, 07:12 PM
So it seems my brand new Cougar trailer needs a new fresh water tank. :(
We have had quite a bit if frustration thus far between the leaky sky light that I fixed and a hitch mix up. Our Dealer has been great but I am frustrated and sad.

We took her out on the maiden voyage last weekend and we had water dripping from under the sealed underbelly. Long story short, we took in in this week and there is a crack in the water tank where the inlet hose ( tank fill hose) enters the tank. It is nothing that can be easily fixed, it is actually part of the tank not the hose.

They are replacing the tank. Thankfully, we can use it as the crack is high on the tank and we will not lose much water volume, we can fill 3/4's up. The dealer cleared the underbelly away to allow any residual water to drip out. 4-6 week wait for the new one. :banghead:

Mostly I am sad but also a little worried about how big the job is. Will it ever be the same?????

notanlines
04-13-2019, 03:00 AM
Nancy, I would sleep soundly at night knowing it was going to be replaced. Replacing the water tank is no hill for a climber. Don't sweat it. Camp like the dickens between now and when it goes in for repairs so they can fix any more problems. And start clearing a spot in the garage to put the snow shovel away for the summer!:D

chuckster57
04-13-2019, 05:39 AM
These kind of posts just make me a bit miffed. Filling EVERY tank FULL with water during the PDI would have caught that before delivery.

Shame on your dealer or the lazy tech. Replacement is the only fix, and it sounds like they are going to at least take care of it. Simple compared to a gray or black tank, ask me how I know.

Rant off.

yesiamapirate
04-13-2019, 06:52 AM
These kind of posts just make me a bit miffed. Filling EVERY tank FULL with water during the PDI would have caught that before delivery.

Shame on your dealer or the lazy tech. Replacement is the only fix, and it sounds like they are going to at least take care of it. Simple compared to a gray or black tank, ask me how I know.

Rant off.

Chuckster, I appreciate your rant. I have been ranting for days and it feels good to have someone take over for a minute ;) OK here is the biggest rub. I took this trailer home winterized. It sat til it got warm enough to fill. Three days before our trip, I filled and tested every inch of the camper. Totally filled the tank, sanitized, drained and refilled to the top. Then it sat two days in blissful beauty. Maybe there was a hairline crack at that point but it would have been hidden by the underbelly stuff. But the water stayed 100 percent filled so it would have been very minimal. There was never so much as a drop on my driveway.

Forward the days to the maiden voyage. Hooked her up, stopped by the dealer to get our hitch/load levelers switched out ( don't get me started there) and carried on our way. No sign of water dripping from anywhere. it was a dry sunny day and the ground was clean. Off to the campground, a mere 20 miles down the road.

Backed into the spot and started to unhook and then notice a small puddle under the camper. We initially thought it was the fresh tank drain. That was the area of the puddle. We pulled back a bit of the underbelly and realized where it was coming from. Thankfully, it leaked straight out of the hole and onto the ground. We drained it off until it stopped leaking, about 1/8 of the tank and carried on with the weekend.

I am thinking there was a hairline crack all along that finally split with the weight of the water after a couple of days sitting in the drive. Here is a pic. The split is where the tank meets the white tube.

yesiamapirate
04-13-2019, 06:59 AM
Nancy, I would sleep soundly at night knowing it was going to be replaced. Replacing the water tank is no hill for a climber. Don't sweat it. Camp like the dickens between now and when it goes in for repairs so they can fix any more problems. And start clearing a spot in the garage to put the snow shovel away for the summer!:D

That is my plan! Thanks for your positive thoughts. That is my plan, camp camp camp. By the time I take it in, I will have a list for them.