PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Salutations From Minnesota

docmorgan7
04-11-2019, 08:11 PM
We just brought home our 2012 Keystone Bullet 31BHPR last weekend! I picked up an Equil-i-zer hitch from the dealer and had them install it. I use a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab as my tow vehicle. Only has the 3.21 gear ratio but it seemed to pull just fine on her maiden voyage home. I'm definitely not trying to win any high speed races while pulling a 6335 pound dry travel trailer!

Retired Copper
04-12-2019, 07:04 PM
:wlcm: and happy camping :camping:

TNVJones
04-13-2019, 03:14 AM
Welcome from NC and Happy Camping

5J's
04-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. That seems like a heavy trailer for that TV but, they look good together.

busterbrown
04-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Hello from Michigan and congrats on the trailer.

Unfortunately, I do agree with Joey with regards to your choice of TV. I have a similar length TT that I bought 3 years ago but the trailer is a tad lighter. My TV was a 1/2 ton Yukon XL Denali with 3.42s. It pulled it "just fine" the first few trips out that early spring and summer. But one windy Sunday on our way back from western Michigan, we hit moderate 30-35 MPH crosswinds that had me praying to the heavens for 200 miles. That was not a pleasant trip. Had to upgrade to an expensive Hensley hitch to continue our camping for the season. By the start of next season, the Yukon was sold and I had a shiny new RAM 2500 Megacab in my garage.

5 days ago, we encountered 40-50 MPH crosswinds pulling through New Mexico. Let's just say I was thankful to be driving a 7,000 lb 3/4 ton truck attached to a Hensley.

BTW, I noticed the GVWR on your trailer is 8,000 lbs. It was fitted from the factory with 205/74/14 LRC tires. Your first order of business may be to fit new wheels and tires to it. At 1760 lbs per tire brand new, reserve "load' capacity is practically non-existent when trailer is ready to camp. RVIA is slowly changing the certifications but it doesn't help those with older campers. If you can score 15" wheels fitted to at least 225/75/15 LRD tires, you'll be doing yourself a big favor. Ask me how I know...

Rber1234
04-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Welcome and have fun camping this year.

sourdough
04-14-2019, 05:42 PM
doc, busterbrown has touched on some issues that you might really want to investigate. An 8000lb trailer, behind a 1/2 ton can be problematic. Couple that with a 3.21 ratio and it is just a recipe, IMO, to "no fun".

A "short maiden trip home" is not going to tell you anything. As busterbrown noted, you will encounter all kinds of stuff towing. An inadequate setup towing in perfect weather, or at least unchallenging, tells you nothing. Experience what he did, I have, and many others. You will find that the trailer can easily overpower the truck; with either the wagging the tail syndrome, or, with a 3.21 just not being up to the task - it is not a towing ratio, it's a highway, good mileage, grocery getter rear end; not towing. From my research it is the ratio FMC uses to raise the mileage of the trucks for the government ratings - not to give you a great towing experience.

You made a good choice in the Equalizer...set it up right. Since you have the truck/trailer, I would suggest 1) air bags, 2) LT tires for the truck, 3)
TPMS on the trailer tires and maybe better shocks for the truck. No matter how you look at it I would most certainly go with the first 3 just to be safe...been there, done that.

MustBeNice
04-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Hello fellow Minnesotan.... new here myself!