PDA

View Full Version : Fridge - keep running or not?

ann condie
04-11-2019, 01:27 PM
We purchased a 2008 5th wheel Montana late last year and moved it to a permanent site. We only had use of it for two weekends before winterizing.
My question is with the fridge. We go to the trailer most weekends (season begins soon). As we leave for the week, we don’t turn the fridge off so that we can keep staples for the next time.
Should we be turning fridge off for the days we are not there? Or is it ok to keep running?

daveinaz
04-11-2019, 01:41 PM
I don't see why you can't leave it running.

spicercars
04-11-2019, 03:03 PM
I start mine in the spring and don't shut it off until its time to winterize. That way we don't have to empty it out ever time we get home.

chuckster57
04-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Your good. I would make sure you have propane in the tank(s). Set the fridge to “AUTO”. That way if the power goes out your fridge will switch to propane and continue to cool as long as the battery(s) have fair to decent voltage.

ann condie
04-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I will ensure is on auto in case of power failure(have 2 large propane tanks) and will keep it running. Saves from bringing everything home each week.

hankaye
04-11-2019, 05:38 PM
ann condie, Howdy;

We purchased a 2008 5th wheel Montana late last year and moved it to a permanent site. We only had use of it for two weekends before winterizing.
My question is with the fridge. We go to the trailer most weekends (season begins soon). As we leave for the week, we don’t turn the fridge off so that we can keep staples for the next time.
Should we be turning fridge off for the days we are not there? Or is it ok to keep running?

I bought a 2008 Cougar in 2011. Drove it to the campground I was living in at
that time, fired up the fridge so it would get to temp. Next day moved in and
haven't shut it off since. 14 days and it will be 8 years. Yesterday we had a
power outage that lasted 8.5 hours (about normal for this area). We will have
2, 3, or more per year depends on drivers avoiding utility poles, and natural
stuff happening ... Make it point to keep an eye on your Battery (ies), keep them
charged up. Doesn't hurt to ask the staff whenever you arrive if there had been
any outages so you can take appropriate steps.

hank

Lee
04-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Hi,

As other do..... My fridge gets turned on after De-wintering and stays on till winterzation.

Lee

Frank G
04-12-2019, 02:53 PM
The exception to leaving it on is when you leave for 3 weeks and a electrical storm takes out the refrigerator electronics and all those staples in the freezer rot, explode, and every other nasty you can think about. Oh if you loose shore power for any reason the RV battery will die in a day or so. There goes the fridge. Not to be negative but stuff happens when you least expect it.