PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain & more rain

jsmith948
04-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Living in the Central Valley of California, we see about 6" or 7" of rain in a year and that's a wet year.

We just spent five days at South Beach SP in Oregon. It rained every day. Sometimes off and on throughout the day and, on one particular day, it rained in the morning and we had beautiful clear, sunny skies all afternoon. Even dug out the grill!

Currently, we are at Bullards Beach SP (about 116 miles south). And...it has rained every day - all day. We've had some gusting winds as well.

Now - don't misunderstand - this is by no means meant to be negative or a complaint. We are actually enjoying the wet weather. It has been a very relaxing time hanging out in the camper and even driving around Bandon and doing some sight seeing. One thing about the rain, it tends to thin out the camp ground population!:rolleyes:

A bit more about these Oregon SPs. The sites are clean and well spaced. The trees are trimmed back so as not to interfere with slides and awnings. There are plenty of volunteer hosts who keep the place really, really clean and the price is right. So, if you are tired of smoggy skies and the dry, dusty conditions caused by the agriculture in central California, head on up to the Oregon coast. This rugged, rocky coastline is simply beautiful.

Rain be damned - camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day! :D

Logan X
04-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Rain be damned - camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day! :D

Amen to that!

travelin texans
04-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Your in the Pacific northwest that's it's normal weather, rain with a chance of more tomorrow!

Tonkatoy77
04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
You coming here reminded me of a saying one of our past governors had.

“I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.” Tom McCall

I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Did you make it to the Rogue brewery while you were in town?

jsb5717
04-08-2019, 10:44 AM
No doubt, our Springs are often wet, sometimes very wet, especially at the coast. Our Summers, on the other hand, are often beautiful and warm...even at the coast.

Number 4
04-08-2019, 11:00 AM
It's been a wet winter/spring in California too. I just checked a rainfall total web site which says Northern & Central CA are 110-120% of normal rainfall and Southern CA is as much as 162% (Palm Springs). The California drought is officially over! I heard from a friend who tried to make reservations at Bodega Dunes State Beach (pictured below in my signature) that the dunes campground is flooded and closed indefinitely.

As Jack knows, all this rain means lots of fast growing grasses and weeds that create high fire potential in the summer. The town of Paradise was literally wiped off the map by a fire last year, so I love the rain but there's a flip side later on.

I'll keep that info about the Oregon SP's in mind for the future. Sounds great!

notanlines
04-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Tonkatoy, a little 'Devils advocate here:' We're all curious how your family settled in Oregon if you knew the governor wasn't welcoming you....:hide:

rhagfo
04-08-2019, 03:02 PM
No doubt, our Springs are often wet, sometimes very wet, especially at the coast. Our Summers, on the other hand, are often beautiful and warm...even at the coast.
So true, but there are time when it is hot in the Willamette Valley and the Marine layer will linger at the coast. That is when it gets real crazy, as many will come for the cool of the coast.

hornet28
04-08-2019, 03:18 PM
jsmith948 We're going to be at Bullard in June and then up the coast and stay at Sea and Sand RV Park just north of Depoe Bay. When you were at South Beach did you go to the aquarium? If so was it as good as it looks in their ads? Thanks for any info

jsb5717
04-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Tonkatoy, a little 'Devils advocate here:' We're all curious how your family settled in Oregon if you knew the governor wasn't welcoming you....:hide:

Ha...that quote was about 35 years ago and hasn't slowed anyone down from moving here. Construction in the Portland Metro area is out of control and traffic is miserable.

It's still a beautiful part of the country and our State Parks are great. You just need to plan 9 months ahead if you want a weekend stay in many of them.

Tonkatoy77
04-08-2019, 04:29 PM

My moms side of the family came here in the 1840’s and still live on the donation land claim the government gave them when they got here. My dad’s side of the family came here in the late 1800’s from Missouri. I’m not sure about their history.

Tom McCall saw all of the people coming here in droves from California and could tell they were changing the way Oregon was being ran. Turns out he was absolutely right.

jsmith948
04-08-2019, 04:56 PM
jsmith948 We're going to be at Bullard in June and then up the coast and stay at Sea and Sand RV Park just north of Depoe Bay. When you were at South Beach did you go to the aquarium? If so was it as good as it looks in their ads? Thanks for any infoThe aquarium is well worth the time.
We thought the glass tunnels through the aquarium tanks were awesome. The nearby science center is neat as well. If you have time, check out the Yaquina Head Lighthouse.

hornet28
04-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Thanks jsmith948

sourdough
04-08-2019, 07:58 PM
My moms side of the family came here in the 1840’s and still live on the donation land claim the government gave them when they got here. My dad’s side of the family came here in the late 1800’s from Missouri. I’m not sure about their history.

Tom McCall saw all of the people coming here in droves from California and could tell they were changing the way Oregon was being ran. Turns out he was absolutely right.

As it now is in CO/NM - a lot. Saw lots of them in FL this winter...:facepalm: (not a shot at all folks from CA. Met some good ones but more of those that live in a world not associated with real life). :(

jsmith948
04-09-2019, 06:03 AM
You coming here reminded me of a saying one of our past governors had.

“I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.” Tom McCall

I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Did you make it to the Rogue brewery while you were in town?We have camped in 24 of the lower 48 states and have experienced attitudes similar to what you and Sourdough have expressed regarding Californians in many if those states.

You know, I have never had a business, in any of those states, and especially Oregon, refuse to take my money!

Maybe you should petition your respective legislators to build a fence/wall and post a sign banning Californians?

sourdough
04-09-2019, 10:08 AM
We have camped in 24 of the lower 48 states and have experienced attitudes similar to what you and Sourdough have expressed regarding Californians in many if those states.

You know, I have never had a business, in any of those states, and especially Oregon, refuse to take my money!

Maybe you should petition your respective legislators to build a fence/wall and post a sign banning Californians?

I think you are right. In some places in SE NM people lament the "Texans" and think they have inundated their space. I did not mean, nor want to, disparage all folks from CA; they are like everywhere else - good un's and not so good un's. We have some very good friends from Palm Springs and we love San Diego.

A discussion a long way from your original "rain" comments and not meant to redirect the thread nor invite additional input on "good" vs "bad" states, people, etc. - although I inadvertently did. Just want to explain my prior comments.

I should not have piggy backed on the prior post. If I offended any of my CA friends I apologize. That type of comment should not be made without LOTS of qualifiers and I failed to do that nor was it warranted in this thread.

And back to your original post; we are like you sounds like. We get very little rain here in W TX and when we travel to places like FL where it rains all the time in winter seemingly it is actually enjoyable. Plus, the rain in FL is always pretty gentle. In W TX it usually comes with a big wall cloud, high winds and hail. And I agree; "camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day!"

Tonkatoy77
04-09-2019, 10:31 AM
We have camped in 24 of the lower 48 states and have experienced attitudes similar to what you and Sourdough have expressed regarding Californians in many if those states.

I meant it as a joke. I’m sorry if you took it any other way.

Salt Life
04-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Rain, rain, rain? We're in for a blizzard Wed - Fri, wanna trade? 8-12", if not more, hopefully much less....

Tonkatoy77
04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Rain, rain, rain? We're in for a blizzard Wed - Fri, wanna trade? 8-12", if not more, hopefully much less....

I’m guessing there are a lot of Oregonians that would trade you. There are evacuations in place right now due to flooding.

travelin texans
04-09-2019, 03:36 PM
TOO bad there's not a way to direct flood waters in Oregon & Nebraska as well as the snow melt run off from most of the states that got hammered this winter to places like Lake Mead/Hoover Dam which is about to dry up. When it does dry up the lights go out in California!

Ken / Claudia
04-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Homeless or bums were rescued from an island in the Willamette as it was being covered with high water. The Clackamas river is high enough near my home it has cleaned out lots of garage and homeless tents. Only problem they will be back and bring others in a couple months.
It has been raining around here so hard at times the police radars will not show vehicle speeds. Good thing is most slow down when it rains that hard.
BTW: The Governor McCall statement is not working, we are getting over 90,000 new residents in the PDX area yearly now for several years. No data on from where.

jsmith948
04-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Just traveled from Bandon, Oregon to Grants Pass along the Coquille River on 42S and 42. All of the streams and rivers seem to be at flood stage. Lots of flooded barns and pastures. Looks like Oregon and NW California could use a break from the rain.

German Shepherd Guy
04-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Remember the old saying:
"A bad day of camping is better than a great day at work."
:flowers:

When I was born there were 150 million Americans. Today there are 330 million Americans. :eek: They have to go somewhere. :lol: Governor McCall not withstanding.:ermm:

Of course there are two more states now. :angel:
:camping:

Tonkatoy77
04-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Homeless or bums were rescued from an island in the Willamette as it was being covered with high water. The Clackamas river is high enough near my home it has cleaned out lots of garage and homeless tents. Only problem they will be back and bring others in a couple months.
It has been raining around here so hard at times the police radars will not show vehicle speeds. Good thing is most slow down when it rains that hard.
BTW: The Governor McCall statement is not working, we are getting over 90,000 new residents in the PDX area yearly now for several years. No data on from where.

I had to kick a bum out of our parking lot at 4:30 this morning. I never thought I’d see the community I live in look like this.

Some unofficial data you could use is U-Haul’s website. It costs three times as much going from L.A. to Portland as is does going from Portland to L.A. when renting a truck.

notanlines
04-10-2019, 01:07 AM
To back up what Danny said, "The reservoir is down 147 feet from when it was at full capacity in 1983. It's currently 38 percent full."
Las Vegas has built a bath tub type drain at the bottom of Lake Mead to insure water for the future. Total cost will approach 2 billion US dollars. Hmmm....
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-uncaps-lake-meads-third-straw-for-water-supply/

jsb5717
04-10-2019, 07:05 AM
I meant it as a joke. I’m sorry if you took it any other way.

I think what McCall was trying to say certainly wasn't a dispersion on Californians or any other visitors. It's kind of like I feel about my grandkids. I love it when they come over and I love it when they go back home.

German Shepherd Guy
04-10-2019, 01:22 PM
To back up what Danny said, "The reservoir is down 147 feet from when it was at full capacity in 1983. It's currently 38 percent full."
Las Vegas has built a bath tub type drain at the bottom of Lake Mead to insure water for the future. Total cost will approach 2 billion US dollars. Hmmm....
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-uncaps-lake-meads-third-straw-for-water-supply/

The story you saw was written in September of 2015. :rolleyes: :hide:

Currently it is 88% full.

http://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp

Wait till this snowfall here in Colorado hits it this spring.

Last years drought (worst ever recorded here in the San Juan's) killed a bunch of my trees that I had planted 20 to 30 years ago.
And this year???

We are currently at 140% of normal
Unfortunately we will need to stay at that level for 3 years to make up for last year :ermm:

And I am sooooo tired of winter :facepalm:
A blizzard is currently blowing outside my window. :(

Sorry for you folks in the northern plains, this storm is a daisy.

notanlines
04-10-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry to burst any bubbles, but today's level is at 1089.67 mean sea level. One year ago Christie Vanover, public information office for Lake Mead National Recreational Area, said “The top of the white ring is about 140 feet above the current lake elevation." The last time the lake was at full capacity was in 1983.
As far as losing water is concerned, “Lake Mead is a reservoir that is meant to fluctuate. Over the past 80-plus years, its capacity has varied greatly. Storing more than 3 trillion gallons of water, Lake Mead is currently at 39% capacity, so it's lost nearly two-thirds of its stored water in the past 35 years.
She also said "There's a bit of good news for Lake Mead, which rose from 1,075 feet (above sea level) at the end of 2016 to 1,082 feet at the end of 2017. It rose 7 feet in one year."
This is fact, from the horse's mouth.

German Shepherd Guy
04-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Yea I see that, but it says that "full pool" is 1,229.00 which would indicate it is only down about 12%. Am I reading something wrong? I so want the drought to be over and I thought what I saw supported that. Now you have really bummed me out Jim.
OK, is it because the bottom of the lake would not = zero so that being down 139 feet is a larger percentage?? I think I am beginning to to see. Oh no, now I am really deflated and have been suffering this hard winter and it isn't making as big an impact as I thought.

At least I was happy for a few hours until you decided to bust my bubble.
Oh well, back to square one.

Deflated and bummed Oak

notanlines
04-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Actually, even though the 88 didn’t “hold water,” I was a little excited that the water actually rose over the last few years. If you laid eyes on the lake, it is a sorry site.
And cheer up, spring has sprung and all that!