PDA

View Full Version : Texas Coast

RossT
04-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Headed to Galveston Island this summer, planning to stay at Jamaica Beach RV resort. Anyone have other RV park recommendations before I make reservations?

Old Mustanger
04-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Don't think you will find too many any better than Jamaica Beach, however there is a State Park right along the beach you may want to check out.

roadglide
04-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Will be rock port tex it's about the ride if weather permits. Your less then 400 miles up the coast from new Orleans that's our next stop .

Mikendebbie
04-06-2019, 02:49 AM
There is a park downtown virtually on the beach where we intend to stay next time. We stayed at a place farther south than Jamaica beach last time and it was just too far away from town for us. It was nice. Jamaica beach looks nice but for us - it is farther away from town than we want to be. There was another place between Jamaica and civilization maybe called del Ray (?) our friends liked it. If you want lots of beach time the one downtown or del Ray or even the state park. Our kids are grown and gone so we do antiquing and restaurants - not so much at the beach as we used to do.

ken56
04-06-2019, 03:14 AM
We always stay on the Bolivar Peninsula and take the ferry across to visit Galveston. Its quieter. We stay at Bolivar Peninsula RV park, Its not fancy with no amenities but it is affordable. They are a Passport America and Good Sam park. Full hookup sites are grass but will accommodate all lengths and types of rigs. We stayed there last fall and the worst thing was the roads needed graded.

Jamaica Beech is probably the nicest park in the area with paved pads and the location can't be more convenient. You won't regret staying there I'm sure. Now, for a great dinner go to Gaidos Seafood restaurant right on Seawall Blvd. Top notch everything from steaks to seafood. For dessert have their bread pudding. One piece is large enough to share. It is TDF, and I am not a big fan of bread pudding but my wife loves it and I can attest that it is that good. Enjoy Galveston.

sourdough
04-06-2019, 08:06 AM
I've not stayed at that resort but it looks nice. Also doesn't look to be "too" far from town.

Had friends from MI stay there (I believe the same resort) on their way to winter with us in FL and they really liked it - especially the proximity to the water. Went to visit their daughter. They had 2 young grandsons and I suggested they take them to the Rain Forest Café in town. They did and they said the children loved it. If you have kids you might want to try it out as well. If you can, try to go after sundown and let them see the "volcano" erupt with all the fire, smoke and roar:)

gearhead
04-06-2019, 07:08 PM
If you want pretty green water, hope for "sweet south east" wind. If it's out of any quadrant of the west it will be muddy.
Otherwise have a great time. Gaido's has been there forever. From back in the days when Galveston was famous for gentlemen's entertainment and open gambling.
If you're over on the Bolivar side you may try Stingaree Marina for a meal. Either downstairs, or up on the deck with a view of the ICW and East Bay.