PDA

View Full Version : Prodigy RF

nb1812
04-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Ok having a problem with the Prodigy RF system connecting. Little back story my 17 Silverado did not have the stock break controller installed and I have had a bit of a hassle with the service center at my dealership in the past. Furthermore I lease vehicles so I wanted something that can move from truck to truck. Any who, was getting everything set up for our shakedown trip and the in cab controller won’t connect to the trailer mounted braking computer. Pretty sure it’s not the 7 pin as if I just plug the trailer into the truck all lights, hazards and markers work perfectly. Anyone with this controller have any ideas? Thanks for the help

hornet28
04-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Don't assume that just because everything else in the 7 pin works that the brakes will also. Use a test light at the plug with someone applying the brakes and see if you have juice there

travelin texans
04-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Have had this problem, helped others as well & found the fuse under the hood for trailer brakes had blown or never installed.

Gord
04-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Your problem may be that the battery charge circuit is not connected to the trucks fuse panel. Look to see if there is a wire coiled up under the truck brake booster. If there is it needs to be connected to a post that sticks up on the fuse panel under the hood of the truck. I don't have the prodigy brake controller, but I found out about this because there was no power at the 7 pin to charge battery on trailer while travelling.

Edit:
Found this link to Prodigy RF installation. Refers to how the unit uses the charge circuit to power the brakes.
http://www.towingproducts.net/application/support/instructions/N90250.pdf

66joej
04-05-2019, 05:39 AM
Have had this problem, helped others as well & found the fuse under the hood for trailer brakes had blown or never installed.

I agree with Danny. Had this issue years ago and found they don't put a fuse in if there is no factory installed brake controller. YMMV

Gord
04-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Your problem may be that the battery charge circuit is not connected to the trucks fuse panel. Look to see if there is a wire coiled up under the truck brake booster. If there is it needs to be connected to a post that sticks up on the fuse panel under the hood of the truck. I don't have the prodigy brake controller, but I found out about this because there was no power at the 7 pin to charge battery on trailer while travelling.

Edit:
Found this link to Prodigy RF installation. Refers to how the unit uses the charge circuit to power the brakes.
http://www.towingproducts.net/applic...ons/N90250.pdf

nb1812
04-08-2019, 03:11 AM
Thanks everybody for the help - I have since trashed the prodigy RF - apparently I was receiving some kind of interference between the control unit and the trailer mounted sensor. This made me super skeptical, I got concerned that it would potentially loose connection while driving - which was a scary thought. I ended up going with a Curt Triflex and was able to connect it without issue in literally 15 minutes. Took our passport out this weekend and system performed flawlessly...now something to help me back into my driveway ��