PDA

View Full Version : Where and how to mount bunk ladder

Bechard
03-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Hi folks,

I built a bunk ladder for Bullet Crossfire 2200BHS, as this model doesn't come with a ladder. After a single trip out in the fall, it became clear that we didn't want the kids climbing on the dining bench to get into the top bunk.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount this ladder, as ideally it would be removable and not have any sharp edges or screws that stick out on the ladder itself, or the bunk.

The bunk has a facing panel that you can see the ladder resting against in the photos. This facing panel is a half inch thick, and the plywood bunk is one inch down from the edge of this facing panel.

One idea was to shape a metal bracket for each side of the ladder, which will attach via two or three screws to the ladder, bend 90 degrees to go over the lip of the facing panel, bend 90 downward to meet the plywood of the bunk, and then another 90 degree bend to lay flat on the plywood. This setup is a little complicated to make, but I can borrow a vice too help with bending.

Is there another way I can do this? Ladder sides are 2x3 framing lumber. I was considering a hook setup, but not sure if that would work. Bottom mounting to the bottom of the upper bunk could also work, but still has a lip to get over.

Thanks folks!2115121152

chuckster57
03-31-2019, 12:13 PM
your idea of making hooks is the best solution IMO. just make sure there is a slight tilt OUTWARD to the ladder when hooked onto the top bunk.

dhn
03-31-2019, 03:58 PM
When I built a ladder for the bunks in our old camper, I covered the metal “hooks” that I bent from metal straps with clear plastic tubing. This covered the sharp edges and did not scratch or mess up the fabric covered rail on the bunk. Worked for us til the kids outgrew the bunks. Sorry no pictures, camper and ladder are long gone.