PDA

View Full Version : Axle upgrade

Teosails
03-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Hello RVer's,
I am wanting to upgrade my 6000 lb axles to 7000 lb. Can I just replace the axle beam, or do I have to replace the whole brake, wheel, etc? I am also going to upgrade my equalizers and shocks. Looking for a smoother ride; any help is appreciated.
Also, does anyone know the length of the axles on a 2007 Challenger 29TRL? I can measure, but if someone already knows... that would be great.

chuckster57
03-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Axles come with the spindle, so you'll need to know the number of screws that mount the backing plate (brakes). that will tell you if the hardware, drums and wheels will fit. 10" brakes use 4 screws and 12" brakes use 5.

crawl underneath and look at the back of the backing plate, count the screws and your on your way.

Teosails
03-31-2019, 12:56 PM
I crawled under the 5er... 5 bolts and the tag on the axle says HF=86.5" SC=68.5". Now my question is... I can't find any Dexter axles, online, that have those numbers. Am I going to have to have something custom made?

IMASAP
03-31-2019, 02:58 PM
This place will make you any length you like....

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/trailer-axles-/

Sluggo
05-31-2019, 06:53 AM
I am researching the same thing and found that to go from my 5.2k's to 7k's would require swapping over to 8 lug wheels or at least that is how the complete axles are sold. Make sure your hubs/axles/springs/wheels/tires are all rated for the 7k setup. I decided to go from 5.2 to 6 to minimize the cost of swapping wheels. I need tires already and have a bent axle, so now is the time for me. Thetrailerpartsoutlet was also the best deal I could find online. Checking with a couple local places but I doubt they can match it. They only deliver free to businesses, so plan on $150 more to get it to the house. Please post an update if you have one.

The John
05-31-2019, 08:13 AM
Depending on how things are mechanically, it can be easier to get the whole assembly then trying to unbolt and rebolt things together.