PDA

View Full Version : A/C comes on when I am only running the heater on 2019 Cougar 30RLS

Whit66
03-31-2019, 09:01 AM
This morning I went into my 2019 Cougar 30RLS it was 45 degrees so I put on the heater and bumped the temp to 65 degrees.. Well for some reason the rear A/C unit is running at the same time as my heater.... Any idea what I am doing wrong, any input would be appreciated

Thanks

sourdough
03-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Is the thermostat set to auto? If it isn't that could be the cause of your problem.

chuckster57
03-31-2019, 09:07 AM
What thermostat? its possible that the "fan" is set to Hi or Lo. Set it to AUTO and it should stay off.

travelin texans
03-31-2019, 09:10 AM
Is the AC a heat pump?

Whit66
03-31-2019, 04:24 PM
that is exactly the problem.. I am so sorry for bothering you guys... I just had no idea I needed to be in auto... thank you so much

Whit66
03-31-2019, 04:25 PM
that is a good question,,, I did not think so, but someone else asked if I had it in auto, which I did not and when I did put it in auto the a/c went off... still confusing but it worked...

Whit66
03-31-2019, 04:25 PM
It did,, I should have known that,,, thank you

Chizure
04-01-2019, 03:38 AM
The "in command" system was apparently developed by ASA with extremely restrictive parameters from Keystone. I have the same model as yours and am still struggling with intermittent non/op furnace issues.
Have had extensive conversations with ASA.
The functions listed on your control board for your furnace/ rear ac unit are (fan, cool, heat, auto), when things are functioning properly you should be able to utilize the heat function if you are only expecting to need heat. The "auto" function would normally be the selection you might want if you were expecting to encounter a change during the day from the heating requirement to a cooling requirement. I am not convinced that Keystone did any beta testing on this system before pushing it out the door......we are apparently the Guinea pigs.

Frank G
04-01-2019, 05:37 AM
I have no knowledge of the In Command system but the issue of the AC fan coming on with the furnace existed in the older, simpler systems. If I remember correctly the fix was to set the fan to auto.

Whit66
04-01-2019, 04:33 PM
I have to assume ASA did not tell you how to fix it?? I never had this issue until a few days ago... The heater always came on and the A/C never did unless I selected A/C... I have had this unit for a year, now this.... it does not make any sense... I guess I will call ASA now myself...

Whit66
04-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Well it worked as prescribed for one year, now I have to set it to auto... confusing.... guess I have some troubleshooting to do...

yesiamapirate
04-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Brand new Cougar 27SAB. Same issue. I will be interested to hear what you find out.

jim1
04-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Same issue in our new 2019 Cougar 315 rls and we have also had to reset the heater relay numerous times on the outside by removing the cover. The heater would run but would not light the gas, reset the relay and its good for a while. Just some of the very annoying things ( plumbing leaks,broken plastic closet rod holders,and no outside lights other than awning LED's) maybe Keystone should pick up their game and try a little quality control and common sense!

JD2019Cougar5
02-08-2020, 05:20 AM
I have a similar problem to many in this post. I have a 2019 Cougar 5th wheel with the In-command module. Since there is no variant setting for the heat is keeps cycling on and off. The heater ignited and comes on for 3 to 4 min then shuts off. While the heat is on the AC unit is clicking. Sounds like a relay going on and off and is loud. It keeps my wife and I up all night. Not acceptable. Currently my RV is at the dealer being looked at and the service tech is saying they don’t know how to fix this and I is not covered under warranty. I think they just want to get it out of their shop. Any advice????

JRTJH
02-08-2020, 06:47 AM
I am not familiar with the In Command system, so I can't give you any specific repair advice, but if the trailer is less than one year old, then it is covered by warranty and the dealership should be "on it like mustard on a sammich" to fix it. If they say there's nothing wrong, that it's working as designed, walk out to any RV on the lot, turn on the furnace and prove them wrong. They, not you, should be contacting Keystone for repair instructions.

If the trailer is older than a year but less than 2 years old, the In Command system "MAY" (I'm not sure) be warrantied by its manufacturer for a longer period. Typically, the furnace and air conditioner are warrantied for 2 years with some components in each having even longer warranties. So, read your specific owner's manuals for each component to see what is/is not covered for more than the first year.

Good Luck and don't let a tech that's not sure be the reason for an outrageous repair bill on a warrantied item that's not working properly.

flybouy
02-08-2020, 06:51 AM
First check the differential setting on the thermostat. For some reason they are often set as 1, meaning 1 deg difference between heat or cooling. Set it for at least 2.

DroughtBuster
09-23-2020, 08:58 AM
Hi, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am dealing with what I think might be a similar issue. I have a 2019 Cougar 26RBS with the In Command System. Saturday I went outside at 7:00 am and it was 60 degrees out. I could hear the AC unit running on my camper parked near my garage. I went inside and found that the In Command system was set on Cool and the thermostat was set at 90 degrees (only want AC to come on when it gets really hot inside). But the In command temperature reading for inside the camper indicated it was 34 degrees in there and the AC continued to run. Fan was set to auto.

Any ideas why that would occur? I assume it is not the thermostat because the In Command screen showed 34 degrees in the camper and when I put a thermometer in there it was almost spot on (1 degree off). Where is the thermostat in a camper that has the In Command system and can it be changed if that is the issue?

bobbecky
09-23-2020, 12:29 PM
When the "A/C" appears to be running when the fan position is set to other than AUTO, the A/C compressor is not running, just the circulating fan. Previous discussions indicated that this is possible so heat can be circulated more evenly from one end of the trailer to the other. I'm not sure if this really works that well, but you will not get cold A/C air from the system if the A/C fan is running, unless something is really wrong with the thermostat, which isn't the issue if when you place the fan into AUTO the fan goes off when suing the furnace.