PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself

Pete A.
03-28-2019, 09:37 AM
I am planning a trip to Alaska and northern Canada and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a floor jack, compressor, and battery impact wrench to work on tires or should I just wait for road service to find me?:banghead:

hankpage
03-28-2019, 09:46 AM
I always carry those ....... a bottle jack is smaller and more versatile than a floor jack and you can carry two for the same weight. JM2¢, Hank

sourdough
03-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Even in W TX "road service" is very iffy unless you want to wait a day or more. I carry 2 bottle jacks at all times (with an assortment of wood blocks), along with an Andersen rapid jack (if it will work). I also carry 2 compressors (12v and 120v) along with the cordless impact wrench and assorted sockets. Where you are headed I would want all the tools I could carry in the event of ?? happening and being stranded for who knows how long. IMO self sufficiency is always the best policy.

Northofu1
03-28-2019, 10:17 AM
^^^ What Danny said.
I carry a bottle jack, 2 stands, and a Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun. I have CAA, but you never know.

FlyingAroundRV
03-28-2019, 12:56 PM
^^^What they all said. So far we only have one bottle jack and no stands, although I'll be buying stands this year to do the bearings. I don't have a rattle gun but I do have an HD torque wrench and a breaker bar. I also carry a kit of general purpose tools for general maintenance. I bought a set from HF that is in a nice box with drawers and each tool is in its own holder in the drawers. That way I always know if something is missing.

notanlines
03-28-2019, 02:31 PM
I agree with all above, but I will say that the impact wrench would be at the bottom of the list. It would only be used with a flat tire which may or may not happen. If you are on a budget I would put a little extra into the compressor I bought.

drdarrin
03-28-2019, 04:02 PM
I made that trip last year with our 5er. You could be waiting a long long long time for road side assistance in some places up there!

As others have said, bottle jack(s), compressor, a breaker bar and extension depending on your rig, torque wrench and a spare spare for each size tire. You can easily find someone to mount a tire but they won’t necessarily have one in stock in your size. The wait can be long and shipping expensive.

sourdough
03-28-2019, 04:03 PM
I agree with all above, but I will say that the impact wrench would be at the bottom of the list. It would only be used with a flat tire which may or may not happen. If you are on a budget I would put a little extra into the compressor I bought.

I agree with Jim about the impact wrench but.....I carry 2 breaker bars and 3 torque wrenches with me so I can get off what needs to come off or go on. Our last tire failure was on the side of a W TX highway in 100 + degree temps. After digging around, trying to use the "TrailerAid" ramp (a no go by itself) then blocks etc. I was sweating my tail off. Had the breaker bar breaking all the nuts loose when this "young" fellow (maybe 40) pulled up behind me and offered to help (local farmer). Saw me using the breaker, torque wrench etc. and told me to hang on. Ran to his truck (fully equipped), ran back with a cordless impact wrench and quicker than a flit he had the tire off, the spare off then on and cinched them up. Even had me set the torque wrench and torqued them for me. THAT was a nice guy and I told him so.

I had not thought about a cordless impact wrench before that. My other tools always did the trick, although not as quickly, and I had all kinds of pneumatic tools/impact wrenches at home. That did it. Upon arrival at our destination I went to my friend Amazon and had one in my hands in 2 days:). Now, I don't leave home with the trailer without it. "Just a little filler on why I have one now".

KSH
03-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Which cordless impact did you buy?

sourdough
03-29-2019, 07:45 AM
Which cordless impact did you buy?

I bought a Kobalt 24v from Amazon Prime. Seems like a little over $200. Had a carrying case, battery and charger and some of the best specs for the bucks spent IMO.

Northofu1
03-29-2019, 07:49 AM
I have the Milwaukee, it's a bit more expensive but it has 4 torque setting and loosens tire lugs effortlessly. It's fairly light.

TJO
03-29-2019, 08:12 AM
^^^What they all said. So far we only have one bottle jack and no stands, although I'll be buying stands this year to do the bearings. I don't have a rattle gun but I do have an HD torque wrench and a breaker bar. I also carry a kit of general purpose tools for general maintenance. I bought a set from HF that is in a nice box with drawers and each tool is in its own holder in the drawers. That way I always know if something is missing.

That is a nice packaged kit. Wish we had a HF.

cookinwitdiesel
03-29-2019, 09:35 AM
I mean, this is literally what I put in the back of the truck for any outing....

Generator (with gas and oil), compressor, bottle jack and stands, socket set, small tools, the long tool box has breaker bar, 3 different torque wrenches, and 3 sets of impact sockets.

The small tools includes, knife, pliers for electrical work, wrenches, impact driver and batteries, screw drivers, lights, multimeter, channel lock pliers, IR thermometer, tire gauge and filler (off compressor) etc.

Better safe than sorry :)

GMcKenzie
03-29-2019, 10:05 AM
I bought a Kobalt 24v from Amazon Prime. Seems like a little over $200. Had a carrying case, battery and charger and some of the best specs for the bucks spent IMO.

For Canadians, Princess Auto sells a good 24v cordless impact wrench. It's Powerfist, so no clue who makes it, but mine has seen a lot of use over the years.

Crappy Tire has a corded one where you can set the torque value on a little screen. Also works well and anytime I double check with a torque wrench, it's been bang on.

Blackrock
03-29-2019, 10:31 AM
I carry a bottle jack, blocks and a 1/2" breaker bar and two deep chrome sockets in 13/16" and 7/8" plus a small 110v compressor that I can run with my Honda 2000 generator.
Did the Alaska run in 2016 and never had a problem. Have only had to change a tire on the road once in all my years of RVing.
I also have a big 4way lug wrench. Don't carry a torque wrench as I have been turning wrenches for so many years I have a calibrated elbow joint that clicks when I tighten them lug nuts.:D

cookinwitdiesel
03-29-2019, 10:37 AM
Now I am looking at buying a cordless impact wrench.....thanks guys....lol

JRTJH
03-29-2019, 11:14 AM
I've had good luck with Ridgid tools from Home Depot. Bought a drill/drill driver kit about 7 years ago, lifetime warranty on the tools and batteries. So far, never had to replace anything. I recently bought the Ridgid 1/2" impact wrench, 18V, 800 ftlb of torque. It comes with a 4a/hr battery, charger and tool for $159 when on sale and also has the lifetime warranty.

One "point of contention" about Ridgid tools, the batteries only have a lifetime warranty if they come with a tool set. If you buy extra batteries, they only have a 3 year warranty. So, shop for kits with batteries if the warranty is important to you.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-4-Mode-Compact-Impact-Wrench-Kit-with-1-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86011SB/303037082

Jagerk9
04-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Great Idea, especially out there. I carry a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack a small pancake compressor and a Milwaukee cordless impact driver .The Milwaukee is about $300 but well worth it. Has plenty of power for lug nuts. I discovered them while replacing the suspension on my TT. Id Also carry another spare tire.. Never Forget the Boy Scout Motto. " Be Prepared"

ddibon
04-04-2019, 07:48 AM
1. Road service is unreliable.
2. A wooden ramp to pull onto, doubling as a chuck or step.
3. Bottle jack or two.
4. Hi-Lift farm jack for me.
5. On board air.
6. Tools with cheater bars.
7. Basic road/problem tools:
*pick
*small shovel
*breaker bar
*regular spade/rake
*chain/strap
8. Hazard lights. I carry six 1TAC disks in space of two beer cans.
9. Minimum 1 spare on a wheel
10. TIRE PLUG KIT WILL SAVE YOURS AND SOMEONE ELSE DAY.

Go for it. You'll pick up all the nuances. The goal is to be safe and helpful to others. Your backcountry forays will mirror your general state of interest and preparedness.

Don't know what you are driving or if you are towing. Modify to that.
Best to ya.

ddibon
04-04-2019, 07:51 AM
I mean, this is literally what I put in the back of the truck for any outing....

Generator (with gas and oil), compressor, bottle jack and stands, socket set, small tools, the long tool box has breaker bar, 3 different torque wrenches, and 3 sets of impact sockets.

The small tools includes, knife, pliers for electrical work, wrenches, impact driver and batteries, screw drivers, lights, multimeter, channel lock pliers, IR thermometer, tire gauge and filler (off compressor) etc.

Better safe than sorry :)
Yep. Ive gotten away from generators by using either manual or 18V tools (recharged via solar/driving) and onboard 200 psi air compressor. Good jib.

Phil Saran
04-04-2019, 07:53 AM
OK good list of tools to take along, but nobody has mentioned taking a extra spare
tire, even unmounted.

When we had a MH I bought a good used (no patches) tire to take along since MH
don't normally have a spare. It came in handy, I did have a side wall blow out in
Montana and had to be towed into a tire shop they did not have the correct size
tire in stock so just remounted my spare tire and then I had to call ahead to the
Goodyear dealer in Spokane WA to order a new tire ahead of our arrival.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ske120
04-04-2019, 08:28 AM
We had to change a tire on our trailer right at US Customs one time! Had to use the jack in the truck and just a socket wrench. Wasn’t fun! We now carry a small bottle jack and a 2 gal air compressor with us. I was thinking of getting my hubby a cordless impact wrench and believe I will definitely do that now. Great idea! We always have tools in our truck, just not always the ones we need 😉

W5WI
04-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Great Idea, especially out there. I carry a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack a small pancake compressor and a Milwaukee cordless impact driver .The Milwaukee is about $300 but well worth it. Has plenty of power for lug nuts. I discovered them while replacing the suspension on my TT. Id Also carry another spare tire.. Never Forget the Boy Scout Motto. " Be Prepared"

A second spare tire for both the TV and 5er is a must. While roads have greatly improved in Canada and Alaska finding the tire you need is almost impossible in some places.