PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Eastern Canada

Amidship
03-28-2019, 03:29 AM
Hi there; my wife and I have just purchased a 2011 Keystone Bullet 281 BHS and a 2010 ford f150 to tow it with. We love camping and have been pop-uping for the past 6 years, anywhere from Bangor up to the Bay of Fundy coast (Fundy National Park being our favourite). With 4 young children (all under 8) the new RV is a welcome upgrade. Ive got a lot of learning to do with the new rig, and i'll be scouring this forum until May 24 weekend.

TJO
03-28-2019, 03:33 AM
:CF: Welcome to the forum from Ottawa.

Northofu1
03-28-2019, 06:24 AM
:wlcm: from Toronto
Loved Kouchibouguac, Miscou, Fundy, and Cavendish PEI. There last September. Will go back.
Lots of good info here should anything arise.

travelin texans
03-28-2019, 08:05 AM
I've got a question? It seems all newbies & some seasoned veteran rvers go out & buy a new ______ rv, fill in the blank with any make/brand/model/length, then go buy a "F150"? Now understand I'm not a Ford fan, but is there something magical about this particular truck that makes it the go to tv? Why not a F250-350 (better yet a 2500-3500 of the other brands) so you actually have a tv big enough to tow whatever you buy? Not trying to start truck wars, but just don't understand! Is it price or just good salesmen?
Yes I've driven/worn out numerous Ford's at work for 30+ years.
Maybe the answer on here could help others make a better choice before finding out they bought too much rv & not enough truck!

Northofu1
03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Maybe it's Ford's claim to the highest payload for a 1/2 ton pick up on the market?

sourdough
03-28-2019, 08:26 AM
I've got a question? It seems all newbies & some seasoned veteran rvers go out & buy a new ______ rv, fill in the blank with any make/brand/model/length, then go buy a "F150"? Now understand I'm not a Ford fan, but is there something magical about this particular truck that makes it the go to tv? Why not a F250-350 (better yet a 2500-3500 of the other brands) so you actually have a tv big enough to tow whatever you buy? Not trying to start truck wars, but just don't understand! Is it price or just good salesmen?
Yes I've driven/worn out numerous Ford's at work for 30+ years.
Maybe the answer on here could help others make a better choice before finding out they bought too much rv & not enough truck!

I think it's probably a combination of factors.

There is a ton of hype from all of the manufacturers centered on "towing" ability which sort of puts this image of an invincible truck in the minds of non towers. They then get a 1/2 ton thinking it's king kong because they've never actually put anything big behind a truck. Then, once they do and go down the road and they "make" it wherever they're going it "towed" great and "didn't even know it was back there" because they have no reference point and don't really understand just how unsafe they are. How do you fix that? I'm not sure. The dealers of RVs or trucks certainly aren't going to do it and risk a sale - and that would be the front end of the process. After that the only solution I see is try to resolve it from the back end - as we do virtually daily.

travelin texans
03-28-2019, 08:46 AM
I think it's probably a combination of factors.

There is a ton of hype from all of the manufacturers centered on "towing" ability which sort of puts this image of an invincible truck in the minds of non towers. They then get a 1/2 ton thinking it's king kong because they've never actually put anything big behind a truck. Then, once they do and go down the road and they "make" it wherever they're going it "towed" great and "didn't even know it was back there" because they have no reference point and don't really understand just how unsafe they are. How do you fix that? I'm not sure. The dealers of RVs or trucks certainly aren't going to do it and risk a sale - and that would be the front end of the process. After that the only solution I see is try to resolve it from the back end - as we do virtually daily.

That was my point!
The truck/rv dealers cost unwitting truck/rv buyers tons if money, too bad there's not a way to make them responsible.
Just seems now both dealers have bogus sales pitches:
"Half ton towable" & "max tow package".

Northofu1
03-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately, we live in a reactive society, every advancement is only made by failure on a large scale or death. It's like all manufacturers use their customers as R & D.

Amidship
03-28-2019, 10:58 AM
No allegiances here; i shop used for all vehicles based on price, condition, mileage and how much i can wear down the seller - and lately if i can fit my whole family in it. Of course i checked the weights of the trailer and capacity of the truck. I have no doubt a 2500 would be able to accommodate what i may be purchasing in the future; but i'll let future me sort that out.

SteveW2993
03-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Welcome from Fall River, NS !

notanlines
03-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Amidship, I don't know how the forum came to dragging you down for your choice, but welcome to the forum regardless.

sourdough
03-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Amidship, I don't know how the forum came to dragging you down for your choice, but welcome to the forum regardless.

Amidship, I hope my post didn't sound like I was dragging you down. It wasn't meant to. I was responding to a prior post stating my general thoughts about the question - not about your situation, which I did not investigate.

I wish you well on your purchase and those in the future. I like your comment about your "future me" sorting things out then......I think we all do that; I know I do.:D

5J's
03-29-2019, 03:14 AM
Congrats on the upgrade and welcome from SE Texas. Why are you only staying through the 24th of May?

Amidship
03-29-2019, 05:16 AM
Amidship, I hope my post didn't sound like I was dragging you down. It wasn't meant to. I was responding to a prior post stating my general thoughts about the question - not about your situation, which I did not investigate.

I wish you well on your purchase and those in the future. I like your comment about your "future me" sorting things out then......I think we all do that; I know I do.:D
No worries; there were some valid points made I just don't consider applicable to my situation because I don't use car or RV dealerships.

Amidship
03-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Congrats on the upgrade and welcome from SE Texas. Why are you only staying through the 24th of May?
It's a Canadian thing; the national, provincial parks and most campgrounds open on the 24 May weekend. It's a statutory holiday; so that will be my first weekend to use it. I'll certainly keep checking in on the forum after that.

5J's
03-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Ah, I read it as if you were leaving the forum on the 24th. Enjoy!!

fable081
04-15-2019, 07:28 AM
Welcome from Lawrencetown Beach, Nova Scotia !!!