PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Shock Absorbers

imenzies76
03-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Hi All, it's probably been discussed before and I couldn't find the info so i'll ask anyways. I am going to be replacing the rear shock absorbers in my 2012 F150 this spring and want a little experienced info from others that have had to do the job. Which brand did you purchase? Are you happy with your purchase?
There are many brands to choose from and some have the favorites, I am looking to upgrade to a heavier more sturdy shock than the OE with 170k kms on the ones I have now. Thanks.:)

GMcKenzie
03-26-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm toying with putting Bilsteins all around mine. Seems to be a favourite. Either 5100's or 4600's, just trying to think if a little lift on the front end would be nice for me or not.

imenzies76
03-26-2019, 02:57 PM
I was thinking of the 5100's as well. It would be nice to hear from someone who has installed them for feedback.

GMcKenzie
03-26-2019, 03:45 PM
I was thinking of the 5100's as well. It would be nice to hear from someone who has installed them for feedback.

I've read all 132 pages of this thread :)

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/168860-bilstein-shocks-thread/

sourdough
03-26-2019, 04:50 PM
I replaced the OEM shocks on my HD with Bilstein 5100s. They say they are for a small lift, which I don't have, and the 4600s are for stock. The OEMs I removed had about 72k on them. I have felt no difference in performance from the OEMs to the Bilsteins even with 72k on them. The Bilsteins are very robust and I have no doubt they are exceptional shocks and will probably last a long time (truck will be gone this or next year).

I like to toy with my vehicles and have used Rancho, ProComp, Bilstein, Monroe and others. I think these are better made than the others including OEM. They would outperform, IMO, the other brands but I'm not sure about the OEM shocks on the HD truck. I'm also curious if the shocks meant for a small lift actually detracted from the performance due to different valving made for the lift. I don't know. They do the job so they will stay until the truck leaves me. The 5100s are popular so I'm sure you will hear other opinions.

slow
03-26-2019, 05:26 PM
I went with adjustable Ranchos so I could dial in the ride to my liking. No regrets.

Fishsizzle
03-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I run 5100 on all three of my rigs love them!

sourdough
03-26-2019, 06:04 PM
I run 5100 on all three of my rigs love them!

Aren't all those trucks lifted? I think that is what the 5100 was for. I was thinking the OP was wanting to replace the OEM shocks? And OP, IMO don't replace 2 shocks, replace them all.

Fishsizzle
03-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Aren't all those trucks lifted? I think that is what the 5100 was for. I was thinking the OP was wanting to replace the OEM shocks? And OP, IMO don't replace 2 shocks, replace them all.

5100 come in many sizes, not just lifted. The two trucks are 0-2”, the Bronco 4”

Yes replace all 4

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F29 2138352967

JRTJH
03-26-2019, 06:44 PM
I don't know about other brand trucks, but for Ford SuperDuty models, there are two Bilstein 5100 models. One is for "OEM height" (0-2") and the other one is for "lifted trucks" (2-6")

On my truck, the rear 5100's for OEM height trucks is: BSN-24-062466
The 5100 shock for the 2-6" lift trucks is: BSN-24-065276
Then there are 5100's for trucks with "extended lifts".

As fishsizzle posted, there are many different 5100 applications, each a little bit longer than the last. I'd guess (not sure and haven't looked it up) that there are 5100's for other truck brands based on lift kit use vs OEM height suspension.

ADDED: I might have got the numbers above wrong, didn't go back and verify them for accuracy, but the concept of longer shocks in the same model (5100) for different applications.

GMcKenzie
03-26-2019, 06:45 PM

While I don't disagree on replacing all 4, I don't think I can do my fronts myself. Rears are so much easier (but I'm not the OP).

Fishsizzle
03-26-2019, 07:20 PM
While I don't disagree on replacing all 4, I don't think I can do my fronts myself. Rears are so much easier (but I'm not the OP).

Yes coil overs are a bit tougher

Northofu1
03-26-2019, 09:42 PM
I love my Bilstein's. I have the 0 - 2" lift shocks, they didn't raise it at all.

GMcKenzie
03-27-2019, 04:59 AM
I love my Bilstein's. I have the 0 - 2" lift shocks, they didn't raise it at all.

I'm thinking of these, but do a slight lift with the shocks in the front. Less than an inch. Just to see if my air dam will stop scraping the curbs.

Northofu1
03-27-2019, 05:38 AM
I'm thinking of these, but do a slight lift with the shocks in the front. Less than an inch. Just to see if my air dam will stop scraping the curbs.

:thumbsup:

GMcKenzie
03-27-2019, 06:42 AM
:thumbsup:

Of course, I'm also thinking of a 2020 GMC 2500 with a 6.6L gas and close to 4000 lb payload. :)

I think the shocks are cheaper.:lol:

Fishsizzle
03-27-2019, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=GMcKenzie;332730]I'm thinking of these, but do a slight lift with the shocks in the front. Less than an inch. Just to see if my air dam will stop scraping the curbs.[/QUOTE

2” level kit is awesome, you can also swap out air dams. A 2wd Ford Airdam is 2” shorter than the 4wd version on the 2017+ trucks. Not sure of other makes models. Worth a quick search.

sourdough
03-27-2019, 03:20 PM

There may be something out there but I'm not aware of shocks that are used to "lift" a truck. They are built to fit a lift that has been installed as far as I know.

Some folks like leveling kits but from what I've seen they seem to compromise the truck in towing by making what might have been a little squat in the back a lot since the nose has been raised. IMO trying to lift a truck less than an inch is a waste of time....buy bigger tires.:)

GMcKenzie
03-28-2019, 02:52 PM
There may be something out there but I'm not aware of shocks that are used to "lift" a truck. They are built to fit a lift that has been installed as far as I know.

Some folks like leveling kits but from what I've seen they seem to compromise the truck in towing by making what might have been a little squat in the back a lot since the nose has been raised. IMO trying to lift a truck less than an inch is a waste of time....buy bigger tires.:)

The B8 5100's will provide the lift on the front end. They have a collar on them so you can pick how much lift you want.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b8-5100-ride-height-adjustable/

sourdough
03-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Interesting. I had not heard of them. On the other hand, I'm wondering how viable it is to use a shock to support the weight of the front end of a truck vs springs (in the lifted stage)? Not used them or heard of anyone that has but I would wonder - I always installed new springs.

Fishsizzle
03-29-2019, 04:22 AM
Interesting. I had not heard of them. On the other hand, I'm wondering how viable it is to use a shock to support the weight of the front end of a truck vs springs (in the lifted stage)? Not used them or heard of anyone that has but I would wonder - I always installed new springs.

On our F150 HW wanted a little more lift so I switched out the 5100 for these

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F15095H14-2014-F150-4WD-Boss-3-Adjustable-Coilover-Kit.html

You can go 2.75” or lift without needing drop knuckles

montecarlo31
04-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Interesting reading this thread. I used to think the Bilstein's were quality, that is unit I started riding with friends that spent a little more coin and ran Fox or Icon. After those experiences all I can say is that the 5100s might as well be the OEM shocks. Icon's are tuned a bit better and seem to have a better fit and Q/C over fox but both are leaps and bounds above Bilstein. I switched my Expedition (same as the F-150 only heavier) from OE to Bilstein to Fox 2.5s and I can tell you the Fox 2.5s were freaking awesome and worth every penny having said that I would probably go with Icon the next time around but they were almost 300 more for a pair at the time.

I would also replace the front shocks and slide in some UCAs from Icon, Camberg or similar while I was at it if you plan to keep the truck. You will pick up a ton of travel and reduce suspension bind. Go with the brand of your choice in 2.5s for theback as well and you will think you have a whole new truck.

Edit: I forgot to throw Carli in the mix as well. They make a great product but are more focused on the 3/4 ton and up market.

Fishsizzle
04-04-2019, 08:30 AM
While I’ll agree that Fox and Icon are nice, throw in King as well.

But for practically, most here are after a stock ride or height.

Long travel isn’t what RVers are about for their TV. Maybe personal rides over town, or hitting trails.

You are right about Fox, not too much more money, my next truck will have fox, mainly because we hit up some knarley roads for fishing and tent camping.

But Icon are way overpriced IMO, their lifts as well. Unless you are doing off-road stuff. $600 over 5100 for a set of shocks is just about 1/2 a set of 35 tires. Many rave about Carli lifts and level kits. Their coils are supposed to be very posh, but progressively get firmer when compressed. I’ll be looking them next truck

To each their own, each shock brand serves a purpose, and a budget. Thanks for throwing out the other brands. Always good to let ones know what’s out there.

Doberman
04-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Like most have indicated above, I also went with the Bilstein 5100's last spring on my 2013 F250 Super Duty. I was able to notice a significant improvement over the OEM's that had about 73,000 on them at the time.

montecarlo31
04-04-2019, 01:19 PM
While I’ll agree that Fox and Icon are nice, throw in King as well.

But for practically, most here are after a stock ride or height.

Long travel isn’t what RVers are about for their TV. Maybe personal rides over town, or hitting trails.

You are right about Fox, not too much more money, my next truck will have fox, mainly because we hit up some knarley roads for fishing and tent camping.

But Icon are way overpriced IMO, their lifts as well. Unless you are doing off-road stuff. $600 over 5100 for a set of shocks is just about 1/2 a set of 35 tires. Many rave about Carli lifts and level kits. Their coils are supposed to be very posh, but progressively get firmer when compressed. I’ll be looking them next truck

To each their own, each shock brand serves a purpose, and a budget. Thanks for throwing out the other brands. Always good to let ones know what’s out there.

First I agree, to each their own. I equate using Fox/Icon/King to a premium product. If I'm buying the best truck I can why cut corners after the fact.

It's not just about long travel it's about dampening, Icon, Fox, King do it better in the same 5 to 6" of travel that everyone else gets, they do it by dialing in their setups properly. Throw in larger pistons and cooling capacity in reserve and it's easy to see that the few hundred you spend over a Bilstein is money well spent. Fox and Icon also rebuild their shocks, Bilsteins are disposable, that alone paints a picture of questionable quality.

Now if you want additional travel (which translates into better control, reduced fatigue and improved safety you can gain a ton of travel with just new shocks and UCAs without going higher. I can tell you even stock height to stock height (which is what I ran +/- .5") there was a HUGE difference in control. In a stopping situation on rough roads that may result in an extra 5, 10 or 15 feet to stop. That distance is the difference between going that was a close one and going to buy someone a new car.

Again to each their own, I wanted to throw out a premium product out there as many don't have any experience with Fox/King/Icon and vacillate over the additional costs.