PDA

View Full Version : Hot water heater info.

Shasta Bob
03-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Help all, im looking for information on the drain plug threads mine are rusty and I wish to clean them up. is it 3/4" pipe plug or 3/4" pipe? any help is appreciated.

terrythetech
03-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Most every plug is an NPT pipe thread, not a straight tap like on a bolt. A NPT is tapered.
My hot water heater uses an Anode Rod that is part of the drain plug. I drain the tank every year for winter storage.

JRTJH
03-25-2019, 11:22 AM
As stated, the threads are tapered and you can't use a tap or bolt to clean the threads. It will bottom out at some point about 2/3's of the way through the threads.

I clean threads on water heater anode fittings/drain plugs with a steel battery terminal brush (clean of course, not previously used on a battery). Twist it into the threads, pull it out, repeat as needed to get the threads clean, then use teflon tape on the threads of the new anode rod.

tacoma238ml
03-25-2019, 02:35 PM
You can chase the threads with a 3/4 -14 npt pipe thread tap ,also you can use a 1 inch copper fitting brush in a cordless drill you can purchase at pretty much any hardware store if you heater is a atwood you may have 1/2 plug not 3/4