PDA

View Full Version : Planning another week in Utah

WestCoastWanderer
03-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Well, I have been putting together various trips this summer. Just finished reserving a site at Ruby's Inn near Bryce Canyon. I have always stayed inside the national park but wanted a full hook-up site since the DW and myself will be staying in the area for a full week, not just a brief couple of days. (The national park is having its annual astronomy festival and the Panguitch Balloon Festival is the same week.) A little backcountry venture on Cottonwood Canyon Road and a week goes by in a hurry. Question is does anybody have any comments on the accommodations at this location - Ruby's Inn RV Park? Is it a good park? Or does anybody have a recommendation in the vicinity? Local state parks like Kodachrome Basin are all sold out. I think this is the only park around. Ideas?

Also, I have two days and nights to get there and two days and nights to get back. Any ideas? I'm coming from the Fresno area of the San Joaquin Valley in central CA.
Of note, Tioga Pass is probably going to still be closed.

jsmith948
03-20-2019, 05:25 AM
When we traveled to the Bryce/Zion Canyon area, we took SR 58 over to Barstow then I-15 to Vegas for an overnight. Then we stayed for a short week outside of Panguich at the KOA in Cannonville. This is a clean, all gravel and sage brush park. Terraced sites on the side of a hill. Very quiet and the staff is nice. Stayed there in August of 2016.

Canonman
03-20-2019, 06:28 AM
IMHO Ruby's is much better than the Park campgrounds. It's an unfortunate truth that our National Park campgrounds are being "Loved to Death". My impression of the Park campgrounds were that they were overcrowded and overused and not very private.
Ruby's is very well kept and well run establishment albeit a bit pricey. We've stayed at Kodachrome and loved it there. Another alternative for boon docking is Red Canyon area on the road to Casto Canyon
(Tom's Best Spring Rd, Escalante, UT
Bryce Canyon, Utah
GPS: 37.721502, -112.254688)
I believe you'll be well pleased with Ruby's if full hookups are desired. Much to see in this area. Don't miss a hike through Red Canyon (photos) or the slot canyons just outside of Tropic/Cannonville (photo).

Racebug
03-20-2019, 10:49 AM
We will be at Rubys the 25th and 26th of June this year. I have heard lots of good things about it!

WestCoastWanderer
03-20-2019, 08:17 PM
We will be at Rubys the 25th and 26th of June this year. I have heard lots of good things about it!

So will I during the same week. I'll look for you there Racebug.

flipazn
03-29-2019, 09:08 AM
I stayed at Ruby's summer of '17. It was a very nice campground with clean amenities and right outside of the entrance to Bryce Canyon NP. I got lucky with a corner site that had lots of shade. Not all sites are equal. The first pic is our campsite and the second one is of the huge grass field they have next to the front office.

WestCoastWanderer
06-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Well, we have decided to take the loneliest road east through Nevada to Great Basin National Park, spend a couple of days there and then move on the Bryce Canyon. Still haven't finalized a way back to the Central Valley. Thinking of crossing the Colorado at Page. Any advise on a place to hook up in Page? Any ideas to stay busy in Bryce for a week? Off the beaten tracks stuff?