PDA

View Full Version : emergency exit window

njboomer75
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
We have a 2011 SPringdale 294BHSSR. I just noticed that the lower bunk in the rear of TT has an emergency window with no screen. Is that normal?? The exit window in the main bedroom has a screen, just found this a little odd. Does anyone have the same TT and could possibly tell me if they have a screen in the rear bunkroom exit window?
Thanks

CPE
08-21-2011, 04:11 PM
My 2011 Montanna exit window,which is over a dresser, comes from factory screened with directions on how to remove screen and open window on a sticker. I have found many inconsistencies in same product lines from Keystone. I was thinking to remove my screen as it is totally unnecessary and another thing to remove after you get to the top of the dresser mounted there in order to get to and out the window; especially for older people!

badge4
08-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Those emergency windows which have operational windows should and typically are screened. I know ours are.

mikell
08-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Our Alpine has 3 of them and all screened

Festus2
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks for pointing out that the emergency exit windows in many models are operational and screened. In anything that I have seen, had or have, these windows have not been operational and left unscreened. My above post saying that "emergency windows are not screened since they normally not opened" will be deleted since it is not correct.

Txoutback
08-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I have one that is operational by a flat bar rod that swings to lock and it is screened. I have another that requires lifting up a red handle, not intended to be operated on a regular basis and it is not screened.

Hunter757
08-23-2011, 06:05 AM
We just picked up a 2007 Montana Mountaineer and it has screens on them as well, they can be opened and closed with the grey swing arm. Lets alot of air in very nice when you just need a breeze and not AC on a cool summers night.

Outbackmel
08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
On our Outback 329FBH; the rear master emergency window actually has both a huge window exit for safety which is not screened AND a separate screened crank out ventilation window. This is in addition to each side of the queen bed having it's own screen window for ventilation.

Generally feel both safe and breezy.:bdance:

mel07green
08-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been wondering about this. In our Alpine, the bedroom window above the dresser is an emergency exit but it is screened. Does this mean it is operational? I've been to afraid to try it. I don't understand why the screen would be there if it's not meant to be used and would love to get some cross-ventilation happening.

Flyguy
08-26-2011, 03:53 AM
I've been wondering about this. In our Alpine, the bedroom window above the dresser is an emergency exit but it is screened. Does this mean it is operational? I've been to afraid to try it. I don't understand why the screen would be there if it's not meant to be used and would love to get some cross-ventilation happening.

I have had these EXIT windows on the past two Keystone trailers. Just swing the handle out and use it to push the window out (it hinges at the top) and rest the handle on the built in catch. Sometimes it's a little hard to initially open the window due to the rubber seal sticking. The screen has a red handle on it and is meant to be a quick pull out in an emergency, the swing out handle will come all the way out of the window frame so that the window can swing up and allow you to squeeze out for safety. I don't know about you but it looks like I might have a little trouble squeezing out that hole but if the trailer was on fire I'll bet I could do it!

cdevill
08-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Our 2011 296BHSSR has screens on both exit windows as well. Only TT I've seen they were was a Jayco we had that the window didn't function like the others for air circulation.

slewis95407
08-26-2011, 06:55 AM
During high winds I have had my bedroom exit window handle pull through the slot. Had to rap a rubber band around the red end of the handle. Now it doesn't pull through but is easily removed in case of an emergency.

KanTC
08-26-2011, 10:16 AM
We've had the large (screened/emergency exit) window in the bedroom of our last 3 RV's - have always
opened/used them for ventilation. As Scott said... we (also) wrap a thick rubber band around the
tip end of the swing arm handle, to act as a 'stopper'. The wind can/will pull the latch handle to
the outside - been there done that too :p

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

mel07green
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
So one more time for the dummies (me!). I can use that scary red lever to open the window a little without the whole thing popping right out and falling to the ground?

Just my luck to find this out at the END OF SUMMER :rolleyes:

njboomer75
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, figure I should post a follow-up. After going back and forth with Keystone customer service about not having a screen in a functioning emergency window, I was told the screens only belong a double-paned window. If I would like a screen then I would have to purchase one from a dealer. :( Hows that for BS???

hankpage
08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
I would see if the dealer has a trailer with the same window and see if it has a screen and see if they will work with you. It's worth a try, Hank ...... Somehow I just can't see my corpulent body going through that window and falling eight feet, head first, to the ground. :dizzy:

jimgcan
06-09-2013, 02:37 PM
We recently purchased a 2012 Cougar 24RKS TT. Although it's a relatively small unit, it has two doors and four or five double-paned exit windows, none of which are screened. We're trying to figure out how to add a screen to the bedroom exit window, as we found out after we bought the unit that there were no screened windows in the bedroom. OK if you've got AC running, but pretty stuffy with no ventilation other than the roof vent.

CUFFS054
06-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Mel07, I asked that same question! The way it's labeled you'd think it was like pulling a pin on a granade! Back to screen question, both exit windows in my Springdale are screened. However the one in the kitchen is blocked by the dishwasher.

Hankpage, we (as in the royal WE) decided one night after some refreshing adult bevs that WE should measure our bodies to see who should go first. I lost! I'm thinking of keeping a roll of aluminum foil on my side of the bed so I can wrap my fat *** and get out the door if there's a fire!

CUFFS054
06-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I must need to get my confuser checked. I type in a 3 letter word and I get ***!

gkainz
06-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I must need to get my confuser checked. I type in a 3 letter word and I get ***!
it's the forum software censor ... bad words are changed to ***s. However, unintended consequences like I can't tell you my dad's name was Dick ... edit - lol, I guess I can! Some vbulletin boards censor that one, too ...

BulletOwner1
06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Hope this isn't too much off topic but I'm sitting here thinking about the emergency exit window in my bullet and I'm wondering why I have an emergency exit window when just across the RV there is a perfectly good door. :confused: "bouncey:

JRTJH
06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Bulletowner1,

It's called RVIA. One of their "codes" is the "required emergency exit in all sleeping areas" and, ironically, a "normal egress" is not an "emergency exit" Don't ask me why, like you, if there's a perfectly good "big door" on one side of the bed, what's the need for a little window I wouldn't fit through on the other side of the bed??????

SAABDOCTOR
06-12-2013, 11:14 AM
iF i WENT THROUGH THAT WINDOW I WOULD END UP PULLING THE SIDE WALL OUT WITH ME. I'D BE WEARING IT LIKE A TUTU:eek: AT LEAST THE DW CAN WALK OUT AFTER THAT!;)

CUFFS054
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Saab, kinda gives a whole new perspective on "lighting a fire under his *ss"!

ROLIN JOSEPH
01-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Bulletowner1,

It's like this (silly),
Use the door at all times except when there is a raging fire; that's when you crawl through the little window!:rolleyes:
Oh, and don't forget to release the bug screen in one swift but firm motion.
Oh, and don't get your thumb stuck in the red release loop as this may cause entanglement on egress and 'may result in injury and/or death'.