PDA

View Full Version : Purple Paint Law

66joej
03-17-2019, 02:58 PM
DW was reading her Pinterest website and came across this purple paint thing. Apparently it is a no trespassing notice in Missouri. A square is painted on a tree or fence post to give notice.
Chip or anyone heard of this?

Javi
03-17-2019, 03:22 PM
DW was reading her Pinterest website and came across this purple paint thing. Apparently it is a no trespassing notice in Missouri. A square is painted on a tree or fence post to give notice.

Chip or anyone heard of this?Yep.. lots of states have the same law. Texas included

notanlines
03-17-2019, 03:25 PM
http://agebb.missouri.edu/aglaw/aglaw9.htm
Any owner or lessee of real property can post property with the purple paint marks.
• Purple paint marks must be placed on either trees or posts (the statute does not specifically allow the option of placing paint marks on buildings).
• Vertical paint lines must be at least 8 inches long (the statute does not mention a maximum length).
• The bottom edge of each paint mark must be between 3 feet and 5feet off the ground.
• Paint marks must be readily visible to any person approaching the property.
• Purple paint marks cannot be more than 100 ft. apart.
The statute provides that any person trespassing onto property marked by purple paint can be found guilty of a first-degree trespassing charge. Any unauthorized entry onto property marked with the purple paint marks is considered a trespass. First-degree trespassing is a Class B Misdemeanor, with potential punishment of a maximum $500 fine and/or a maximum of 6 months in jail.

66joej
03-17-2019, 03:30 PM
Thanks Javi and Jim. Good to know next time we see this.

Laredo Tugger
03-17-2019, 03:35 PM
It doesn't work!
I painted it on the garage door but DW keeps coming out and bothering me. :D
RMc

CrazyCain
03-17-2019, 04:07 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:^^^^^^

hankpage
03-17-2019, 04:12 PM
That's the law in Florida too, wording similar but some changes. I have signs threatening bodily harm on my garage door and the DW ignores them also.

ctbruce
03-17-2019, 05:42 PM
Nope had not heard of this one. I guess Missouri was dumbing down the No Tresspass signs as the meth heads couldnt read them. This Common Core stuff is for the birds.

Laredo Tugger
03-17-2019, 06:30 PM
True story.
I put a "Beware of Dog" sign on my yard gate entrance. I do not have a dog. Thought I was pretty smart until I went to a local event and told a police sergeant about it. He just turned and said "You're assuming they can read sir"
I see your point ct.........
RMc

Pmedic4
03-17-2019, 06:54 PM
It makes a great deal of sense, and not because people can't read. Getting signs and posting them is a pain, not to mention they break off, tear/rip, or just become unreadable in a few years. Paint is easy to apply, and you can apply a bunch in a short amount of time.

Does everyone understand it, is my concern. Of course, they also ignored No Trespassing signs too, and I don't think it was because they couldn't read.

Fishsizzle
04-01-2019, 08:58 PM
I saw this on “North Wood Law”. Never heard of it but it seems quad riders act like it’s means nothing on the show.

Laredo Tugger
04-02-2019, 04:26 AM
So if you are driving by Prince's place in Minnesota and there is purple rain falling making it difficult to read the sign, can you go in? :D
Well you see officer.............
RMc

notanlines
04-02-2019, 04:45 AM
The latest info I could find included these states:
◦Illinois
◦Missouri
◦North Carolina
◦Maine
◦Florida
◦Idaho
◦Arkansas
◦Montana
◦Arizona
◦Kansas

RossT
04-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Just poking around and found this thread. Texas the purple color must be every 100 yards.

gearhead
04-04-2019, 02:29 PM
I do a combination of "NO TRESPASSING" signs and the purple paint. Gate has purple paint and then on the fence line too. I'm an hour way from the farm and need all the help I can get.
I doubt the local "lay abouts" have a clue why the purple paint is there though. I do need to go and refresh it.

Ksupaul
04-04-2019, 07:44 PM
In Kansas it’s a bit more specific. It means “No hunting, fishing, or trapping without written permission from landowner”.

the406life
04-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Same law in Montana, but it's orange paint, not purple paint.