PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling lights not working....

Salt Life
03-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Guessing the rocker switch is shot or a loose wire. Blue light is on..

How do I get the cover off w/o breaking it? I'm assuming it just snaps off? I tried pulling fairly hard, but want to know 4 sure until I go harder...

If I wiggle the switch, I'm able to get the lights on..

Thanks!

Ps. Why r my pix sideways?

chuckster57
03-17-2019, 12:35 PM
I have the same panel. The switch is pinned in the middle at the top and bottom of the (cover) switch. I bet yours has done the same thing mine did and just came loose. hold it in the center and try it.

Salt Life
03-18-2019, 10:17 AM
My switches connected at the top and bottom. It wasn't loose, but tried it anyway. Seemed to help. Unfortunately, they r not working today. Pulled off the switch cover and tried it again, nothing. Need to pull the screws and get behind the panel.....

Dang, pic is sideways again....

JRTJH
03-18-2019, 10:28 AM
I tried to find a photo or diagram of the "inside parts" for a typical 12 VDC RV light switch. I couldn't find one that showed the parts and how they work. Essentially, most RV light switches are a center spring connected to 12 volts and when the switch is pushed "ON" the spring overcenters and forces the 12VDC to make contact with the top contact point (turning on the light) and when the switch is pushed "OFF" the spring overcenters in the opposite direction forcing the 12VDC contact to break the connection with the top contact point.

That plastic structure the contact points and overcenter spring are not very reliable and most RV owners will, over time, replace a lot of their switches. It happens ofen enough that most carry a couple of spare switches after the first year of ownership.

My guess is that if you replace the switch, you'll solve your problem.

Salt Life
03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Bottom switch white, black wire. Either the wire connector is bad or the spade on the switch is bad. The lights will go on and off wiggling that wire.

Where does one get that switch besides camping world?

Ok, far right switch 1st wire.....

JRTJH
03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Any RV parts department should either have it in stock or be able to order it for "rapid delivery". They are available at most internet RV parts houses, Amazon and EBay. You might also find them at a larger marine parts store if they have "live on boat parts" in stock.

Salt Life
03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Probably is the switch since it's used the most on a consistent basis...

Salt Life
04-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Turns out it is the switch. I just keep the switch cover off for now and give it a little wiggle and it works...

Dadmech
04-14-2019, 04:41 PM
That wire on the right is usually 12 volt to light the rocker switch itself.