PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask my dealer to install a WDH?

Controller23
03-16-2019, 11:00 AM
I’ve purchased myself already, and could competently install it I’m sure. I’m wondering if it would be inappropriate to request the dealership throw in hitch installation. I guess if it is less I have to do, only verifying it is correct, then I’m all for them doing it and not me

ADQ K9
03-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't hurt to ask as I see it, if the hitch is within ratings required. They might charge labor but I don't see it taking more than an hour with professionals. So if they want to charge more than an hours labor I would call them on it.
We installed ours on the dock where we picked up the trailer during out PDI. I don't remember how long it took but it was less than 2 hours. I guess it all comes down to how valuable is your time is.

travelin texans
03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
To me it would depend on whose doing it. Is it the new guy & this is the 1st one he's done? Nope I'd do myself! Is it a tech that's done several & knows what he's doing? Yes, if I could watch for future reference.
To me if you bought there it should part of the deal to insure you are towing safely before leaving their lot.

SummitPond
03-16-2019, 02:35 PM
... They might charge labor but I don't see it taking more than an hour with professionals. So if they want to charge more than an hours labor I would call them on it. ...

You nailed it! Our dealer indicated one hour labor would be charged to install a WDH (e2 or Equalizer) hitch.

wobly
03-16-2019, 05:00 PM
I have set up our WDH plenty of times and made any adjustments. When we bought our new trailer, I asked if they would set it up and they said "Of course!...for $200". I said no thanks and set it up after we did the PDI right there on their lot.

busterbrown
03-17-2019, 01:57 AM
Our selling dealer was happy to install and setup our first Blue Ox WDH when I took delivery of the trailer for free. They don't charge for basic installation of WDHs. It took them about 30 minutes tops. I didn't expect them to dial in the settings but they did an okay job to get me home. I made adjustments on my own later.

Depending on the hitch brand, I would assume that most traditional WDHs would be installed at time of delivery, especially if the customer hasn't used one before.

As far as a surcharge, I'd be reluctant to pay for it as for me, adding a WDH to a travel trailer is like "prepping" the new car purchase prior to delivery. The typical friction based hitch may have 4 screws for frame brackets (many do not) or sway mount and that's all. The hitch head itself is a complete unit that wouldn't require assembly. Secure the ball on the hitch head (with proper torque) and place in the receive head on the correct height. An experienced dealer tech should be expeditious in the process.

Specialty hitches like Hensley's and Proprides are a completely different story. I wouldn't want the dealer touching these hitches. YMMV.

Hankster
03-17-2019, 03:27 AM
I would set it up myself, chances are they're going to get the new guy to do it and you'll have to re do the install when you get home anyways. When he did ours he had a battery powered impact driver and didn't install the washers in the correct places There was no torque wrench involved, just 4 or 5 ugga duggas with the impact driver. To say the least I was unimpressed.

ctbruce
03-17-2019, 04:46 AM
Setting it up empty will be different than setting it up ready to go camping. I'd just do it myself, as you're going to have to any way. JM2C

travelin texans
03-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Do it yourself & spend the $$ on a surge protector/ems & an adjustable water pressure " regulator". The 1st is mandatory in my opinion, the 2nd is a much better option than the el cheapo restrictor the dealer may have given you.