PDA

View Full Version : Walking on roof Cougar fifth wheel

Shasta Bob
03-13-2019, 04:33 PM
I wish to know what the weight limit is on the roof I weigh 300 do I or not.?

JRTJH
03-13-2019, 05:08 PM
You can remove the square plastic trim that hides the rafters at your bathroom roof vent. Once the 4 screws are removed, pull straight down and the plastic trim will fall away from the ceiling. Once removed, you'll see where the roof membrane was cut diagonally and stapled to the framework for the roof vent. Pull the staples on one of those flaps and you can peek under it to see the actual OSB roof paneling. My guess is that it's either 1/4" or 3/8" OSB.

If it's 1/4" then no, I'd stay off the roof, if it's 3/8" and you're 300+ pounds, then I'd be reluctant to climb up there and walk around without something to help spread my weight. A couple of 2'x2' 2" thick foam squares or a couple of 1/2" plywood 2x2 squares with carpet stapled to them so they won't cut or damage the roof membrane should help. However, not only do you need to be concerned with stepping through the OSB, but you also, at your weight, need to consider that much weight may bend/buckle the stamped steel roof joists and cause irreparable damage to the roof (unless the entire structure is removed to repair the underlying joists)...

In other words, at 300 pounds, I'd stay off the roof unless it was absolutely necessary and then only with extreme caution and with the understanding that you may damage the roof beyond repair.

ptpick
03-16-2019, 02:43 PM
I am about the same weight. I have been on my roof. I have knee pads (wide) and just stay on my hands and knees. Spreads out the weight. I don't hear any creaking or snapping.

wiredgeorge
03-16-2019, 03:32 PM
I weigh 260 and have walked all over the roof on my 2002 Cougar 5ver.

nellie1289
03-16-2019, 06:44 PM
I need to refresh my memory but Im pretty sure many of the fifth wheels these days are designed to have a small “party” up there. I am 275 it is zero concern on my roof. My sales guy said definitely don’t stand on top of slides though.